"Bewitched" vs. "I Dream of Jeannie"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Galaga King, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Both Jeannie and Samantha had identical twin hotter sisters :)

riknbkr330 and SteevG like this.
  2. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Not with me. When I was a little kid (5 yrs old) I secretly looked forward to watching the show weekly from '69 to '72- just so I'd see Samantha!

Left Field likes this.
  4. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

I had quite the pubescent crush on "Jeannie" during my teenage years. That said, "Bewitched" gets the edge by a nose twitch, simply because there was more depth to the writing than there was on "I Dream Of Jeannie." On top of that, Samantha was depicted as being highly intelligent, while Jeannie was written as a somewhat naive character.

Left Field and O Don Piano like this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Isn't that the "wish him into the cornfield" kid from The Twilight Zone?

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Jeannie all the way.

The episode where Major Healy puts on fatigues and a phony mustache to get Tony out of Cuba is hysterical.

7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Please don't make me choose!

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Sam
    I just thought Eliz was a classic beauty

9. Both awful shows from my youth. Boy did most TV stink in the late 60s early 70s. I can't choose, sorry.

10. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Bewitched. I loved it from the outset, and even though I watched both shows. It was just the smarter, more classy show with a cast that really worked well together. Of course, being a kid, I also liked I Dream of Jeannie, and I always thought that Tony was a little smarter than Darrin. After all, he was quite willing to let Jeannie whip things up with magic. I never understood Darrin's reluctance for Samantha to use magic (other than there would have been no comic tension to play off). If my wife could whip up a gourmet dinner with a twitch of her nose, I'd never forbid it. :laugh:

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Bewitched for me.
    Elizabeth Montgomery was perfect. Dick York and Agnes Moorehead were hilarious.

12. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

No doubt, Bewitched had the better True Hollywood Story. Haha

ParloFax likes this.
  13. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nose twitcher one.

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

They are both beautiful and sexy, but I prefer watching "Jeanie" because it was funnier.

Peace Baby:

[​IMG]

17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Liked both but love neither. (Also true of Adams Family and The Munsters, and I swear I watch 60s tv daily even today.) Both jumped the shark.

But I'll go with Bewitched. It's tinkle-tinkle-tee.

18. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Bewitched is on about the time I get my day started so I’ve been catching a bit of it lately. These are the later seasons, and it’s rough sledding. For a show in which anything can happen, it’s very repetitious and formulaic, which is a shame. The second Darrin, Dick Sargent, is unrelentingly snarky and always looks like he’s this close to popping someone in the nose. Flip-flopping, mealy-mouthed Larry Tate wears thin, and the gag where somebody comes up with a lame, on-the-fly ad campaign (which the client always loves) to explain away the plot isn’t that hilarious.

Today’s ep has Jonathan Harris, and he’s always fun to watch.

It ends with the Screen Gems logo, which supposedly some people are terrified of. They don’t mind witches, but the Screen Gems ‘S’ spooks ‘em.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

For me, Bewitched jumped the shark after Dick York left, but it was really great up to that point. After Dick Sargent came on board it just wasn't quite the same show (and then they started recycling plots from earlier seasons and getting really lazy with the writing).

20. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I don't think it is the "S" logo that some kids were afraid of, it was the weird, echo-ey music played on an unidentifiable instrument (A Mellotron, perhaps?) that accompanied the logo.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I can see why that music would be upsetting to some people, yeah. :)

GoodKitty likes this.
  22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The thing I remember most about Betwiched is the constant drinking. The thing I remember most about Jeannie is Barbara Eden's gravity-defying breasts.

23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The whole set up of Jeannie is obviously "sexier" than Bewitched. But Bewitched was aired in syndication during a time I was often watching TV, whereas I seldom caught any I Dream of Jeannie episodes. Plus I hadn't hit puberty by then anyway.

24. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Yes. It's good that you noticed that, it's very good.

dewey02 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  25. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Bewitched, without a doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.