Bifrost change in sound, usb

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Enable the checkbox to bypass audio enhancements. It won't affect playback in JRiver, but will affect playback in your browser if you send browser audio to the Bifrost DAC. For example, when playing YouTube or playing music from some streaming services.

What OS are you using? I'm assuming Windows 10?
    Does the input part of the Audio Path actually say DirectSound?

I'm still suspicious that you've got something going on in the audio chain that is causing things to not be bit perfect. Something making some unexpected changes to the audio. When I change between "JRiver Bit-exact Dithering" and "TPDF Dithering" I'm not hearing a difference, certainly not an obvious difference.

2. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

weird as with the modi multibit and yggdrassil, i dont hear much difference with dithering on or off in jriver.

i have the TPDF dithering at off myself. no need for dithering really, its done in the mix normally

3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I've had excellent results with internal volume. In many cases, it will be the best option, especially if you're directly feeding a power amp or DAC without volume control. It's better to my ears than using any volume control implemented by operating systems. I could imagine cases (inexpensive preamp or DAC with suboptimal digital volume) in which internal volume sounded cleaner than using an external volume control.

4. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

There are a couple of things that I still do not understand.
    Why is dither necessary? What processing is happening that requires him to be using dither in audio playback?

And why are his 16 bit files being converted to 24 bit?

Robert C likes this.
  5. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I believe the reason for dithering and the change in bit depth is given here, basically JRiver use dithering to convert the audio from 64 bit used for internal processing to 24 bit for the DAC . Apparently dithering is the recommended technique to use when down-sampling.

The reason for using 24bit for output is also explained in the Wiki but makes less sense. They claim that it enable gap-less play because the interface doesn't need to reinitialize between playing 16 and 24 bit audio and that it prevents worsening the sound's SQ if it is changed in the digital domain (presumably by the DAC). I think that the main reason is that perhaps most DAC chipsets are based on a 24 bit architecture and its easier for them to process audio when it's received in this format. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be able to provide a better answer.

6. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I get why dither is needed to go from a higher bit rate to a lower bit rate but he is starting with 16 bits. It would not need to be dithered unless some processing is happening at a larger bit depth than 24bits, his output.

If all he is doing is forcing 16 bits into a 24 bit container before sending it to his DAC then again, no dither is necessary because it is just adding zeros as place holders. I don't see a reason to feed the DAC a padded 16 bit code.

Gapless shouldn't be an issue because the CD is 16 bits from beginning to end so there is no need to trick the DAC.

So I'm at a loss as to why the output is 24 bit and why any dither is necessary. Is he using volume control on the PC or JRiver?

Robert C likes this.
  7. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker Member Thread Starter

Yesterday I did not see direct sound at input. I am using windows 10.
    Something is going on here I believe, in regards to the Bifrost correctly processing.
    Yesterday I had a couple thunderstorms come through and I unplugged my Bifrost.
    That day, the sound I described as being very separated and captivating was back.
    And for everyone saying that they dont hear much difference in dithering, well this time the great sound was with TPDF dithering on, last time it was with Jriver bit perfect.
    So it whatever is happening must not have to do with what dithering is on. Though I could tell soundstage was more recessed still with TPDF but it was way better overall like I heard before.
    It almost seems like my Bifrost is having problems changing processing internally and maybe doing certain things, like unplugging it, switching dithering, is helping it sort itself out eventually. Just a wild guess.

I think it could have to do with the way I hook my laptop up, or the sequence I hook it up to the DAC. I have a usb mouse and usb wireless receiver.
    I take both of them out before connecting the DAC. Most of the time my laptop is left in sleep mode, I have all power down functions turned off on all usb hubs.

I am going to try process of elimination with the way I connect laptop to DAC. First I will shutdown the laptop, then unplug all usb devices, then reboot.

My laptop is a Dell which most say is usually not the best for usb audio. But I checked mine and it has a genuine Intel chipsets. I think the board and processor where too new at the time for aftermarket chipset brand.
    One Realtek in there and it is for usb 2.0 card reader, its actually a driver.

Oh and remember, the first time I heard the great sound, was when I switched Jriver bit perfect dithering on. When I first got it, I had dithering turned off for the whole time until Ham told me to turn on Bit perfect. At that moment, right when I turned it on, was first time it really sounded much better.
    Yesterday was the last time so far I had that same sound back. Just a lot more airy sounding and dynamic, also more focus, like vocals seem more focused in a smaller section in middle of soundstage.

This is a problem with usb audio, there are so many variables when it comes to playback software, different chipsets in pc, and the compatibility of it all.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  8. Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker

Blundering_-~-_-~-Tracker Member Thread Starter

Jriver outputs at 24bits, I have no control of it.
    Jriver says it doesnt hurt anything bc like you said, its just like adding a decimal, nothing changes with ones and o's
    I am using internal volume with Jrivers volume slider maxed out.

9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Are you using volume leveling?
    I didn't realize JRiver did that to everything. Mine does too.

10. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

JRiver output at the highest bit depth supported by the hardware. In most cases it's 24 bit but 32 bit is also possible for a growing number of newer DACs.

I recommend posting technical questions that are specific to JRiver on their forum at INTERACT FORUM - Index I've been there a few time with some questions and I always found that were answered in full, and politely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.