Big Album Disappointment(s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AppleCorp3, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Yes, it's rather disappointing that George died before he could make sure the album was perfect! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Wiserforthetime likes this.
  2. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Nooooo! Heligoland was a much better album than 100th Window.

skateaway and Beamish13 like this.
  3. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

London Town a letdown after Speed Of Sound??? :confused:

Or do you mean Wings Over America? (which would make a lot more sense, imo).

4. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Nope. I meant London Town. I've since revisited it after reading enough posts about it from this forum and like it more than I did at its initial release. But it's still a let down. Lots of half songs and light weight fluff.

5. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Respectfully disagree. I think Beat Crazy is a lost gem that deserves far more respect and recognition. The title track is one of my favorite songs ever from Jackson, and "One on One" is just beautiful, too. Plus, it was his 3rd LP in under 24 months-to keep putting out such high-caliber material within that span of time is something few artists today can match

Chuckee and timind like this.
  6. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

after trust or almost blue! never IB is my faborite album ever!

7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Winter and Starf**er were the only tracks I wanted to hear again after first play.

8. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree. Sure, 100th window may sound like a rinse and repeat effort but Heligoland is the only album of theirs that I flat out do not like. The only one I don't love to death, in fact.

9. timind

timind phorum rezident

Agreed. Beat Crazy is one of my favorite early JJ albums.

10. Ruscl

Ruscl Member

Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking - kudos to Dave Gilmour for rejecting that concept.

Miles Davis - The man with the horn - it blew... along with all the other Miles post 1980 albums.

Sting - I gave up about 3 albums in after the Police.

U2 - Achtung Baby is soo good ... Zooropa is sooo bad.

11. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    followed by this dud....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  12. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I'm sure that a few fans were disappointed after "Rumours" but the biggest disappointment was in the board room at Warners upon hearing it. Personally, it's my very favorite Mac album. I'm sure Lindsay probably had a sense of perverse glee from their disappointment. Another brilliant album but a "disappointment" from some people's eyes, "Beauty Stab" by ABC after "Lexicon Of Love". I only own 2 ABC albums and "Beauty Stab" is one of them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    Bowieboy likes this.
  13. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

"Darkness...." I like much better than "Born To Run". "Darkness" had a lot to live up to with the proclamations about Bruce and bring the "future of rock 'n roll" not to mention the absolute hype and the cover of Time.

turnersmemo, Bowieboy and Fullbug like this.
  14. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Dylan has had plenty of albums that fall into this category. Off the top of my head "Under The Red Sky" after the brilliant "Oh Mercy". Sometimes I think Dylan does that kind of sh** on purpose just because he can. He's Dylan and we'll buy it anyway.

15. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

How about cases where you've discovered someone's back catalogue, then the artist releases a new album that you hear 'out of sequence'?

That happened to me when Dylan released Infidels, just after I'd spent a year listening to Blonde On Blonde, BIABH and H61. Infidels may not be one of his worst albums but it was a disappointment after the preceding.

17. Name18067

Name18067 Member

Aladdin Sane after Ziggy Stardust.

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Wow, I never knew Tony Williams made one of "those" albums!

19. Smack

Smack Shadows taller than our souls

The most disappointed I've ever been by an album was WASP's Inside The Electric Circus. Loved the first two and then came this. Hated the songs, hated their new glam look, hated that Randy Piper was gone and Blackie was playing guitar. I can appreciate it now, but when I was 14 I was pissed...

20. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Nonsense, IMO.

21. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Jeff Beck's "FLASH" after "There & Back".
    Man, I had waited six endless years for a new Jeffbo album. I always liked "There & Back" a lot (more than most people do, I imagine); he then had played great refreshing sets on the ARMS tours in 1983, then suddelny he came back in 1985 with his mesmerizing "People Get Ready" with Roddo. Of course, I was super- (perhaps over-)psyched to finally hear and more of him, and was hoping for more collaborations with Rod on the new album. And then THAT letdown!! Good grief! I played it like a kazillion times to finally get into it in case I didn't understand what he "meant" but aside of the out-of-place "Popl Get Ready" and "You Know, We Know", I STILL haven't warmed up to this ...er, "thing" in 30 years. UGH! :mad:

Jeff ahoy!
    Th:)mas

strummer101 and Comet01 like this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think Aladdin is possibly a better record (if not as shocking).

Glen Leat, Tristero and Bowieboy like this.
  23. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I thought they redeemed themselves with Night Work. To me, the real disappointment with them was
    Magic Hour, which pretty much led to their breakup and was far worse than Ta-Dah

24. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Madonna's Hard Candy after Confessions On A Dance Floor and everything before it. MDNA was even worse, Rebel Heart actually was an improvement on these two although it was a little too long.

Prince seems to be batting a good album (Gold Experience, 3121, Lotusflower, ARTOFFICIALAGE....) and following it up with a weak album (Chaos And Disorder, Planet Earth, 20Ten, HITNRUN Phase One...) for the past 20 years.

Foster The People's Torches was a very solid debut album that deserved more than just one hit single. They stayed away for awhile working on the followup album, and Supermodel effectively destroyed all of their debut's momentum in one quick swoop. I loved Torches but Supermodel was terrible

25. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Really? After Red Carpet Massacre which is one of their most hated albums besides Thank You, the general consensus was that All You Need Is Now was the best thing those guys have done since at least the 1993 album, if not Rio.

There were really high expectations for Paper Gods (which I like but not as much as AYNIN, but not disappointed enough to count it as such) because All You Need Is Now was so much better than anyone thought those guys had in the tank this late

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.