Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Just a heads up - Davy's photo book of the '67 tour is available at amazon. On the phone so can't link but it's called When The World And I Were Young.

2. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

A follow up: got my copy from amazon. They basically threw it in a bubble mailer - no cardboard support whatsoever. Suffice to say, it's going back as it's beyond beaten up.

I'd order from somewhere else. Not sure if these will be in brick & mortar stores, but that might be the best route.

The book looks cool, regardless!

AlmanacZinger and Hep Alien like this.
  3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

The surviving Monkees, Nesmith, Dolenz, and Peter Tork — Davy Jones died of a heart attack in 2012 — recorded a well-received comeback album, “Good Times!,” in 2016. True to form, Nesmith was not enthralled when the band asked him to take part in a follow-up, a Christmas album. But he relented, cutting two songs for the upcoming release, covers of “The Christmas Song” and “Snowfall,” the weird seasonal standard written by Claude Thornhill.

Mike Nesmith gets the old band back together (no, not that one) - The Boston Globe

4. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Wow, a Monkees Christmas album..crazy. I like Micky's "Little Town of Bethlehem" from the '90s, so there's potential, but..... not what I was expecting. Will certainly give it a shot

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Oh god, they are going to do a Christmas record? Yeeesh....

Grand_Ennui, 905 and AlmanacZinger like this.
  6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Whose idea was this???????????????? If you need a holiday product, just release the deluxe version of Good Times!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Grand_Ennui and 905 like this.
  7. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I hadn't seen this before....at least Davy was a good sport.."Me and My Brand New Haircut"

MisterNines, RobRoyF, JuanTCB and 3 others like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Definitely not thrilled about this new release. Not a fan of holiday themed albums. I don't see this selling well and it just seems a little corny to me .. but that's me.

What we need:

1.) Super Deluxe Box Sets of -
    Headquarters, PACJ and dare I say a Super Deluxe box set of The Missing Links series that would include whatever is left that is releaseable from the vaults, including alternate takes and backing tracks. RELEASE it all .. like the Elvis Masters Box Set.

2.) Updated versions of Andrews book, The Manufactured Image book by Ed, Maggie and bill and the Mixology book.

3.) Live CDs/ recordings of the Phoenix Show in '67, Japan '68, Billboard '96, the 2011-2012 shows and the recent Mike and Micky Show.

4.) Blu-ray of the 1996 special

... even get back to selling top quality throws, hats, jackets, shirts, etc.

Always thought a Nilsson box Set style for The Monkees collecting loose ends would be really nice. That Nilsson set is top notch!!

Even a Monkees solo collection would be a great ideal

RobRoyF, Humbuster, factory44 and 6 others like this.
  9. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I'd love to see a Nez themed Monkees set -- just his compositions along with songs he sang lead on that weren't his. Can't believe no one has done this yet.

pobbard and Hep Alien like this.
  10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I am curious why we (at this point) aren't getting a HQ or Pisces set for the holiday(s). Maybe we still will. We'll see.

j_rocker and D-rock like this.
  11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Got a ticket to see Micky this Sat. Gold Circle Ticket with Meet and Greet. Can't go due to a medical emergency.
    Paid $65. I will and pay for shipping overnight, certified and insured.

Anyone interested?

13. 905

905 Senior Member

Indeed. At this point it just seems odd.
    As Prince said in Purple Rain, "Hold it, that ain't Lake Minnetonka."

cwitt1980 and D-rock like this.
  14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Found on Facebook, I think it’d make a nice album cover.

D-rock, Galley, KKW88 and 1 other person like this.
  15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

16. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Quick question, hoping someone knows:

When the Birds Bees deluxe set came out (the 3cd Rhino one), did the 45 come inside the box or independent of? I know they only did 1,000 but can't remember if it was separate. Looking to unload my sealed copy and need to know for sure, so my listing is accurate.

Thanks!

D-rock likes this.
  17. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

It has been several years, but my recollection is that it was included inside the box. FredV? JuanTCB? D-rock? BobT?

D-rock likes this.
  18. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Pretty sure it was in the package - almost positive.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  19. Garry L. Todd

Garry L. Todd Member

Yep, the first batch had the 45 and the rest did not--not sure wherr the cutoff was, but they did that on all the Rhino deluxe Monkees reissues.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

As I recall, the record was inside the box.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Interesting, I have a very strong recollection of the 45 coming separately and the fit being very tight against the top and bottom edges when I put the sleeve in there. I recall being unsure if I wanted to leave the 45 in there because of that tightness. As I look at the Head box side by side with the Birds box, the interior is about 1/16-inch longer (top to bottom), so it feels to me like they started to design the boxes to specifically contain the 45s only after the Birds box.

Hep Alien, JuanTCB and Brian Mc like this.
  22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Now that I think about it again, you’re right. The record was packaged outside the box, I thought at first I didn’t get the record, then I saw it was it was separate from the box. I put my copy inside the box for safety, and I guess Rhino decided that was the best way to pack the record with the box sets.

Hep Alien and Brian Mc like this.
  23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

More likely so that people could SEE their limited edition premium goodie before buying.

24. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I've read several times that the single was even mailed separately to the box and wasn't included in the package never mind the box. I ordered well before release date and didn't get one.

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

For the Birds box set the single was shipped separately and not included in the box or outside the box. I still have mine in the shipping mailer from Rhino. Also shipped separately was the poster that was also offered that too was shipped separately. I have that still in the poster tube from Rhino.

Hep Alien, cwitt1980 and JuanTCB like this.