Billie Holiday Kodachrome and a Ray Charles studio pic. QUESTIONS..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Ray Charles session, early 60's. Photo © Howard Morehead.jpg Billie Holiday ( by Carl Van Vechten ) two best.jpg Anyone know why on earth this sexy (and daring) pic of Billie Holiday was taken? It's from 1949 by Carl Van Vechten. Second question, what studio is this that Ray and the choir is using? This is the first pic I've ever seen that shows the "whitebread" group that Ray loved to record with. Photo by Howard Morehead. It can only be one of three studios: United in Hollywood, Capitol in New York and Bell in New York. I think it's United.. Any thoughts?

Mychkine likes this.
  2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Ray didn't see color.

blind_melon1 and DJ WILBUR like this.
  3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

these are cool photographs.

4. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Van Vechten had a knack for getting people to take their clothes off - just saw some images of a topless Pearl Bailey from '46.

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

She was trying to get Bill Bailey (no relation) to come home.

dale 88 and googlymoogly like this.
  6. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I would think that the Ray Charles picture was from the "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music" sessions whatever studio those were held in. I loved those records (especially the first) and thought the paring of Ray with the "white bread" choir worked great with the country ballads. After that LP I found the Atlantic "Ray Charles Story" (Vol. i,2 and 3) and those made me a huge Ray fan. He could do it all.

7. Steve Hoffman

Those Pearl Bailey shots are amazing. Beautiful.

Dance Mxyzptlk likes this.
  8. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

I think you're probably right about the Ray Charles photo being taken at United Recording Studios in Hollywood. The Ray Charles Video Museum website indicates that the photo is from the Modern Sounds 2 recording sessions with the Jack Halloran Singers. I believe they worked with Ray in Hollywood and not on the New York sessions.

9. Steve Hoffman

Ah, thanks. Notice the separation of the boys from the girls? On the "string side" recorded at United for C&W Volume 2, engineer Al Schmitt (unlike the first album by Bill Putnam) spread the chorus in stereo for those songs only (never again on any Ray recording, either).

I never realized they were so close to Ray. The giant cavern echo makes it difficult to imagine the setup but that pic brings home the fact that everyone was close to each other so they could hear without headphones. Totally neat.

I Love Music likes this.
  10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Great pics and that Billie Holliday shot is definitley daring for the time.

11. bstumpel

bstumpel New Member

It's United, with the Jack Haloran Singers, recording for side 2 of Modern Sounds Vol. 2, on September 7, 1962.

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Jack Halloran did some neat stuff with Dean Martin. I think it was the "Houston" album. And his singers were part of the Dean Martin TV Show for a period, too.

13. bonnerj

bonnerj Forum Resident

14. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I also thought there were a lot more of them. I imagined a large choir. (I'm thinking more of the 1st. Mod. Sounds.)

15. Steve Hoffman

That is echo. It makes 8 sound like 80.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  16. Amazing what a "wet" mix of a recording will do for its sound...it can go from in-your-face intimacy to downright cavernous...

17. Steve Hoffman

That's why when we hear the dry version of this type of stuff it sounds so wrong..

I Love Music likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Recording - Studio New York, Ray Charles, Raelette (c) Jim Marhall - 1962 2.jpg Recording - Studio New York, Ray Charles, (c) Jim Marhall - 1962.jpg This looks like BELL SOUND, NYC, 1962 (Photos by Jim Marshall).

rxcory likes this.
  19. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

Nice. All Nice. Thanks!

20. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I've been trying to positively identify this supposed picture of Billie. It looks like it was a couple of years either side of the picture posted above. Seems she was a little heavier. As scarred up as her right arm and neck were, I'm surprised she agreed to pose for anything that even came close to those areas in the OP post. She may be covering one up with her left hand. Sorry for the poor quality of this, though I do love that smile.
    [​IMG]

21. Steve Hoffman

That's Billie, yes. Later.

22. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

that pic looks like its from the 80s

23. blue

blue Mastering rules

Hey there, does anyone have a clue how to get the following picture in a good quality? I grabbed it out of a documentation on TV.

It really has a great expression and is fantastic IMO. Thanks!

Sorry I guess I should have posted it into another thread as this one is just about session pics

[​IMG]

24. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Holy crap, kind of a shock to see a photo of Billie like that - up until now, she was fully clothed in just about everything I've seen her in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.