Billy Joel Studio Albums - Your Favorite?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickStark79, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

[​IMG]

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

1. Turnstiles
    2. The Stranger
    3. 52nd Street

3. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I admit I voted for The Stranger, but Turnstiles is killer. Summer, Highland Falls alone elevates that record.

4. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

"Glass Houses for me.
    It blew me away when I heard it way back when and I went straight out and bought all his other albums.
    Apart from that I think:
    "The Nylon Curtain" is his masterpiece.
    I love "Turnstiles" which is among his very best.
    "Cold Spring Harbor" is better to have than not to have - and after all it has 'She's Got A Way' which saves it.
    "Piano Man" is uneven with good songs and weak songs (hate the one about Killy The Bit or wotshisname) next to each other but Captain Jack is priceless - and so is the title track, of course.
    "The Stranger" and "52nd Street" are a little too slick for me but that doesn't change the fact they are great, great albums.
    "Streetlife Serenade" does not get much love but I think it's underrated and like it a lot. - in fact, I consider it a great 'little' album.
    Anyway, I'll take "Streetlife Serenade" anyday over "An Innocent Man" (which I think stinks big time), "The Bridge" (which is nice but a bit anonymous), "Storm Front" (which is forgettable) and "River Of Dreams" (which I tend to forget even before it's over).

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Veering of track a little... Do any of you guys play the Billy Joel list on SongPop? It's a lot of fun. I consider myself a fan but I get caught out on it!

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Honesty" should have been a much, much bigger hit than it was. I'm not really a fan of the big traditional ballad, but that one is a winner.

I had The Stranger and Glass Houses as a kid and loved them both, but The Stranger was always my favorite. It's one of the few albums I own that truly has no bad tracks in my opinion - they're all winners, even if a few of them ("Just The Way You Are", "Only The Good Die Young", "Movin' Out") are even more incredible than the others ("Vienna", "Get It Right The First Time", "Everybody Has A Dream").

I just picked up 52nd Street for the very first time from HDTracks. Sounds good to my ear, unlike the awful master of The Stranger they're selling. I don't think I'm gonna like this one as much as I loved The Stranger or Glass Houses, but "Stiletto" and "Big Shot" are both underplayed and under-appreciated, along with "Honestly". At least "My Life" had all the success it deserved, and I like the unusual-sounding "Rosalinda's Eyes" - I found it quite a surprise.

One of these days I'll have to check out The Nylon Curtain as well...

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The Nylon Curtain for me. After that is where I get off the bus.

8. The Nylon Curtain
    52nd Street
    Turnstiles
    The Stranger
    Piano Man
    Glass Houses

My ranking for the top ones for me.

9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I agree except I think "Vienna" belongs in the first category and, of course, "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant" and "She's Always a Woman" are up there too.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like Glass Houses. The Stranger also rules.

11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Vienna" is the best of the lesser tracks on The Stranger, for me anyhow. "Scenes" is in the middle of the pack along with "She's Always A Woman" and maybe "Movin' Out" - but that's quite a middle! "Just The Way You Are" and "Only The Good Die Young" are probably two of the five best tracks he ever cut - "Just The Way You Are" I think is his finest, and indeed one of the great songs of the decade. Again, not typically my style, but damn, he did it so well!

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"Zanzibar" is the real standout on 52nd Street, an album I find more consistent than The Stranger.

13. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

no way! Streetlife is his best album! ok, I'll play

1. Streetlife Serenade
    2. 52nd Street
    3. Piano Man
    4. Cold Spring Harbour
    5. Turnstiles

6. The Stranger
    7. Glass Houses
    8. The Nylon Curtain
    9. An Innocent Man
    10. The Bridge
    11. Storm Front
    12. River Of Dreams

the first five that I've ranked are essential. the rest might have a song or two... but I can take or leave them.

14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

:righton: "Vienna" is one of his best songs ever, IMO. On the top alongside "Summer, Highland Falls".

I disagree that 52nd Street is more consistent than The Stranger, but "Zanzibar" is absolutely amazing - especially in the unfaded mix on the My Lives box.

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Turnstiles

16. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Tough one-.

Nylon Courtain, sometimes The Stranger and other times Glass Houses.

17. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

The Nylon Curtain, very beatlesque to my ears.

18. Kit2010

Kit2010 Too far gone

I see I'm in a small minority with RoD. It was a toss up between that and Storm Front, which seems another minority.o_O

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Hard to choose, but I think I have to go with The Stranger. 52nd Street and Glass Houses are two other favorites.

20. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I'm not sure I'd call it my favourite but I've been revisiting the Bridge recently and while the production is rather 80s I think the song writing is absolutely top notch, outside of Modern Woman which grates a little at this distance I don't see a weak track on it. Certainly his last great album in my view. In terms of a stone cold favourite turnstiles is perhaps the most consistent.

21. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Nylon Curtain by a long shot

mgoad30 likes this.
  22. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

The Nylon Curtain. Nothing else comes close for me.

mgoad30 likes this.
  23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm surprised by the love for Turnstiles. I thought it'd be at the bottom. I saw the tour right before the lp came out and was quite taken by the new material, especially Angry Young Man and NY State of Mind. The lyrics of AYM stayed on my wall through college, some of his best ever. And the ballads, for me, are among his best. The songwriting seemed more honest than anything that came before. It's no surprise that Stranger is #1, it's my second pick and I don't even listen to any of the singles anymore.

24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I played that game for a while, but started not having fun with it because it's more about reflexes than music knowledge.

25. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Mine too.

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.