Billy Preston has died

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wollensack, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLoneliestMonk

TheLoneliestMonk Forum Resident

The theory that they go in groups of 3 holds firm…Hilton Ruiz, Vince Welnick and Billy Preston in the same week. Really sad!

I also revisited his performance at Bangladesh and was blown away by how much soul, feeling and energy he put into his performance. Clearly it was not the first or last time he would steal the show. I also recently purchased both Aretha Franklin and Curtis Knight's recordings at The Fillmore West and was blown away by what an outstanding band she put together for that performance which included Billy Preston at his best.

It is sad to hear that he is gone at a time when I had again been reminded of what a wholly profound talent he was. It is clear by all the instances mentioned above that he brought more than just his talent to the table, he brought his warmth and character as well. He is a prime example of a musician's style reflecting their personality. As the expression goes the spirit moved in Billy Preston.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I've said it before, but I wish that Billy and Eric Clapton had joined the Beatles as official fifth and sixth members in 1969 - I think that such a lineup change might have kept John and George in the fold for a few more years and allowed the group to tour in the early 70s - but that never came to pass.

The recent Concert for George film really reminded me what a great musician Billy was - the joy and soul that he put into his performance of "My Sweet Lord" was really touching. That's what I'll remember about Billy Preston - the smile on his face as he sang that song.

3. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Ok, they screwed up. I think it's gotta be Bill Peterson, who does play bass, IIRC.

4. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

That makes more sense!

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I read this in the Tribune this morning. Man, maybe Scottsdale is jinxed. First Lou Rawls, and now brother Preston!

Besides his work with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, my favorite singles are Space Race and Will It Go Round In Circles.

Billy, R.I.P..

6. shoryuken

shoryuken Member

Very sad to hear ....
    Love his contributions to Let It Be...

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Billy Preston belongs in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. Time to start a grass roots campaign.

8. Gerry Galipault

Gerry Galipault New Member

I second that emotion!

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

If we were to judge that by his own catalog only...I'd say no, not near strong enough. But if we also add in his session and guest work, then we've probably got a better argument. But no petitions will sway the R&R HOF people, they just don't care(as the list of non-inductees makes very clear).

:ed:

10. sadie

sadie New Member

He died too young. And he did leave a wonderful catalog of songs for us. I liked his duet with Syreeta Wright...Born Again, as well as many others listed here.

11. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

He would never get in as an artist, but isn't there a section for "session" work? Or are the "wrecking crew", the "stax band", the "funk brothers", Nicky Hopkins, etc, not deemed worthy enough to be remembered by Jann Wenner?

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

There is a "sidemen" category which is home to Hal Blaine, King Curtis, James Jamerson, Scotty Moore, Earl Palmer, James Burton, Johnnie Johnson, Chet Atkins, Benny Benjamin, Floyd Cramer, and Steve Douglas.

13. Mike D'Aversa

Even though almost everyone hates it, I'm glad LIB Naked came out. Instead of the next to last take of "The Long And Winding Road" used on record, we got what I would assume the group felt was the "best" take, the last one. It got used in the movie, and the much hated remixers actually did us a big favor. They mixed out Paul's completely unnecessary/semi-annoying/"lounge act" la-la-la-ing in the second chorus, in favor of just Billy and his nice gospel electric piano solo. This is the only version of the song I can listen to. Unadorned. With soul. And they play the chorus at a quicker tempo both to musically distinguish it more from the verses/keep everyone from falling asleep!

14. Mike D'Aversa

Thank God! Now where the hell are Hopkins, C.Kaye, Preston, B.Keys, J.Price, etc...???

15. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, Cropper's in with Booker T. And The MG's, isn't he?

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

If you were a key sideman for both the Beatles and the Stones, as Billy was, I'd say you belong in the Hall of Fame. :righton:

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Oh for sure! He should already be in. A posthumous award wouldn't cut it for me. He shoulda been in long ago.

18. Mike D'Aversa

I forgot that Booker T.& gang were already in. Cross Cropper off the list...

19. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

Back in September 1972, Billy Preston headlined the first rock concert I attended. Much of the decision to attend derived from his relationship with the Beatles.

Thanks and R.I.P.,

Dr. Weber

20. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

21. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

If anyone's interested, here's the lineup for my homemade "Billy's Best" compilation:

1. Get Back (Single Version) - The Beatles with Billy Preston
    2. That's the Way God Planned It (Parts 1 & 2)
    3. What About You
    4. Everything's All Right
    5. Do What You Want
    6. All That I've Got (I'm Gonna Give It To You)
    7. As I Get Older
    8. My Sweet Lord
    9. I've Got A Feeling
    10. Sing One For The Lord
    11. I Wrote A Simple Song
    12. Outa-Space
    13. The Looner Tune
    14. The Bus
    15. Slaughter
    16. Will It Go Round In Circles
    17. Blackbird
    18. Space Race
    19. Nothing From Nothing
    20. You Are So Beautiful
    21. Melody - The Rolling Stones
    22. With You I'm Born Again - Billy Preston & Syreeta

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

After 1974, his albums became spotty. He had some mild success with "A Whole New Thing" in 1978, but didn't climb back up the charts until he teamed up with Syreeta on "With You I'm Born Again", on the Motown Label.

23. Ern

Ern Senior Member

He plays organ on 'Something' too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.