Bing Crosby "Beautiful Dreamer"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr. H, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there a recording of Bing Crosby singing Beautiful Dreamer available on CD?
    There will be a funeral coming up and this song was requested to play. I was curious where I can find Bing singing it, or if anybody prefers another version, with singing.
    I have a fabulous version by Chet Atkins and Hank Snow but it doesn't have vocals. The lyrics are beautiful.

Thanks,

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Got to be. Isn't it on one of the ones I did?

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Beautiful Dreamer was written by Stephan Foster; it isn't known when, perhaps c. 1860. While I know Bing recorded it in 1940 (John Scott Trotter, arr) I don't know of its status on CD. As far as other versions with lyrics: A more traditional arrangement for choir was made by the Robert Shaw Chorale as part of The Stephan Foster Songbook, available on RCA Living Stereo CD; Roy Orbison's 1964 version is another nice option.

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

A version (2:51) is included on the CD On The Sentimental Side. It's very moving and slow, with a sad-sounding violin solo. No backing vocalists, all Bing. The CD is available from the Bing Crosby.com website. I don't think the song is on ANY Bing collection or hits CD. Ron

5. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

There's a Slim Whitman version of that song on this CD (which I just purchased within the last week):

[​IMG]

6. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Bing's studio recording is also in his 1994 CD "On Treasure Island," from JSP Records. The CD is out of print, of course, although expensive copies can be found for sale in some online sites. For details about this CD, check here:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/on-treasure-island-mw0000102088

A third CD that includes this studio recording is from the collector's label Jonzo, "The Chronological Bing Crosby, Volume 27." Released in 2002.

Besides the studio recording, Bing sang this number on radio quite a few times, and some of those versions are available on compact disc. For instance, there's a solo version in Sepia's CD of Bing's duets with Al Jolson, which can be found at more reasonable prices than the above-mentioned discs. The following page will allow you to sample that 1947 radio version:

http://www.amazon.com/Bing-Crosby-Meets-Al-Jolson/dp/B000AMUUTE

7. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Excellent replies. :thumbsup:

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I sent the OP a copy. He was very appreciative. Ron

9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident Thread Starter

re Steve, I've picked up both of your Crosby discs, unfortunately this song didn't make the cut.

One of my grandfathers favorites, though, was I'm an Old Cowhand, which is on Bing Crosby Sings Again, and it puts a smile on my face bringing back fond memories whenever it comes on.

I also ordered On The Sentimental Side. I look forward to hearing it!

Thanks for all the help. Special thanks again to Ron!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.