Bjork 2015 coloured vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkrudy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Lexasaur

Lexasaur New Member

Debut and Post are the only two I am missing but my Homogenic is cheap as f*** looking. The paper sleeve/inner packaging was ripped at the top edge when I opened it and pulled it out. I thought the photo/print quality was a little fuzzy too. Very flimsy, not glossy at all.
    The rest of the records have a glossy, nicely printed jacket. Although for some reason even though Volta is a double disc album it doesn't come in a bifold jacket, just two records in a single jacket.

2. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Hurrah! (I think.) Just got an email from Amazon saying that they're getting stock of Homogenic on 13 April - after being 'we have no information on this title' since I ordered just after they were announced.

Less clear what's going on with my copies of Post, Vespertine & Medulla from the same order - they're still listed as 'temporarily out of stock' with no estimated date they'll be available on.

(Still wondering if I should chicken out & cancel any of them...)

For anyone else interested, they seem to be orderable on Amazon, I assume in colour still, at pretty good prices (~$22 each, regardless of single or double vinyl).

3. Noah Darco

Noah Darco Active Member

Thanks for the tip! Last time I checked, the 2015 Homogenic LP didn't even have a listing at Amazon.

Debut
    , Post, Vespertine, Volta, Medulla and Biophilia all still say "temporarily out of stock", with no tentative arrival date. (I was originally unable to find the 2015 vinyl issues of Medulla or Biophilia at all on Amazon, as they aren't linked to the regular releases that may still be in stock. They are there, but I had to add "2015" or "limited edition" to my search terms to get them to appear in the search results.)

Acoustic Sounds has competitive pricing, but still just says "Arrival date to be announced" for all of the 2015 limited editions.

The MOMA store has some at higher prices, as mentioned earlier in this thread, but I haven't been able to find any other vendor in the US with stock ready to ship (unless you count the scalpers on an auction site).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    jsb! likes this.
  4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Not sure how reliable this is, or of it's just speculation, but I read on another board that they weren't able to press all 5,000 colored copies of each title due to RSD demand on pressing plants. They were able to press enough for MoMa and some OLI direct orders, but the rest of the colored pressings will come later, with "unlimited" black pressings to follow.

5. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Hi all

Well I finally recieved a reply from OLI this afternoon, regarding my concern over the poor audio quality of "Biophilia" blue disc

Here it is

Hi Nige,

Sorry for the late reply, I was out on holiday last week.

We have worked with our pressing plant to ensure that the coloured vinyl is of the highest quality possible. That said, it must be noted that audio pressed on non-black vinyl is susceptible to higher surface noise levels, this is because some colours are denser and the pigment reflects sound better than other colours. This may be why your orange vinyl sound better than the blue vinyl.

We are having the Bjork back catalogue recut at the moment to repress in black vinyl but no plans to repress coloured vinyl in the near future.

If you return your vinyl I can refund you the full price plus postage.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
    Sam
    Sam Birkett
    One Little Indian

I'm in two minds what to do next, I think I'm going to order a new copy, and take a chance that copy is ok, although going be other members responses the consensus is they all could be suspect!

6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Bullllllllllll****.

7. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Hmm... The only colored vinyl I have, Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love, is marred by surface noise to the point of ruining it. I'm once bitten, twice shy about it.

stevenalejandro likes this.
  8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Said it before and I'll say it again:

Even black vinyl is colored with pigment. The vinyl pellets used to press records are clear by default.

I have noisy colored LPs and quiet colored LPs, just like I have noisy black LPs and quiet black LPs.

Colored vinyl is not inherently noisier than black.

Lethrus, gr8trak and Mazzy like this.
  9. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Exactly what I was about to say.

Tried listening to it again the other day and it was unbearable, ended up sending them an email about it shortly after so I'll probably get fobbed off with the same reply.

I've got an old Eurythmics 12" pressed on the same colour of vinyl that sounds great plus hundreds of other coloured pressings that sound as good as their black counterparts. None of them are as bad as this, it's possibly the noisiest new vinyl I've ever heard, no joke.

Denser reflecting pigments my ar*e.

Ben Adams likes this.
  10. It's bull **** that colored or coloured vinyl is noisier. Rubbish.

gr8trak likes this.
  11. Exactly. He's full of ****.

gr8trak likes this.
  12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

My Biophelia Live is a bit noisy. I'm going to give it a good cleaning on the VPI this weekend to see if it helps.

13. Gibson67

My Homogenic reissue arrived this morning, all is good, minimal surface noise, Nice weighted bass, overall a nice listen. Biophilia blue disk seems to be the one throwing up issues.

gr8trak likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

If I were wealthy, I would buy all of these colored pressings to hang on the wall and the standard black ones to actually play!

Alas, I will go listen to my CDs now. :D

15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I agree , i have amazing lp's on black vinyl AND colored vinyl , it's more a pressing problem & quality control they are having .

would they like to Explain the flimsy covers that are lower grade than most inner sleeves ? or were those pressed on "colored vinyl" .... they went for the cheap & sadly that is what we got :buttkick:

16. Gibson67

Hi all

Just wanting to ask fellow members who have bought "Biophilia" reissue, how are they finding the sound quality on their blue disk? Has anyone a copy free from pops/crackles etc?

Nige

17. Lexasaur

Lexasaur New Member

So I finally got around to putting the blue disk on my player and mine also has pops and crackles but I'd say overall they are not as bad as some people are reporting. I would say that I have records from the 60s and 70s that sound better than this though. Some of the folks in this thread said their noise was unbearable and I would say that the noise on mine is not that severe. But it is definitely not totally quiet.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

For fans in the US, I saw the new color reissue of Volta at Newbury Comics in Norwood yesterday so these are now tricking into retail stores. I think it was $39.99.

19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I have the Kate Bush marbled vinyl and it is not noisy...you may want to pick that one up again as its a fantastic pressing. Sorry off topic a tad.

20. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I think there's a whole thread about how a big batch of them were marred. It does sound fantastic overall, (even if the quiet bits on the 9th Wave are all crackly with pops!)

21. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

FWIW. I ordered the Post and Homogenic LP's from the Bjork.com store thinking that they were the color versions as they were advertised as the limited edition re-issues but I received all black vinyl a couple of weeks ago. They sound just fine though with no quality issues on playback.

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

OLI would be wise to have these on the indie shelves by Sat in time for RSD - even though they aren't part of that of that set of releases, I would think these would sell product with that crowd.

23. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Got my Homogenic from Amazon today, didn't even order until two weeks ago, everything is nice and clean and the green vinyl looks nice. Will play tomorrow.

24. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Wow, $40?? I knew they'd be pricey, but it feels like a slap in the face when you consider all of the quality control issues.

25. scribex6

scribex6 Forum Resident

Noticed that Amoeba had Homogenic up for sale on its website yesterday and ordered it for $24.