Blabbermouth.net: Paul Rodgers is pretty much done with Queen

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

From VH1 Radio's Dave Basner:

PAUL RODGERS: DONE WITH QUEEN, NOT AFRAID OF SWINE FLU

Next month, Paul Rodgers and the rest of Bad Company will reunite for a tour. The trek, however, is just ten dates, leading many to question why it is so short. Is Paul afraid to travel for fear of catching the Swine Flu? He explained the real reason behind the smaller trek. “Well, you know, I’ve travelled and I’m not worried about stuff like that. I usually find, to be honest with you, that most of those things are exaggerated way out of proportion. You know, I’m not afraid to travel, it’s just I want to be able to focus more on waking up in one place and working on music, I think really, and that’s really the reason. I think next year I’ll probably be touring my brains out.”

The next time Rodgers tours, it probably won’t be with Queen. After spending a lot of time with them the past couple years, it seems he’s amicable parted ways with the legendary group. “Well, you know, we did a world tour, we did a second tour of Europe and the Far East and Eastern Europe and we did a studio album and I think we’re kind of leaving it there gently. It’s out there for us to do things in the future if there’s something, a huge charity say like Nelson Mandela, I’m always open to that, but I think we are pretty much done.”

Fans can see Paul and the rest of Bad Company when the group kicks off their reunion tour on June 20th in Charlotte, North Carolina. For all the dates, head to BadCompany.com.

2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

How well did that Queen/Paul Rodgers album do, sales-wise?

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Its never been about Money, just having fun so this doesn't seem unusual to me?

4. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

After spending a lot of time with them the past couple years, it seems he’s amicable parted ways with the legendary group

Well there's some good news...

5. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

It was always something of a weird marriage of styles, imho.

Question: if you had a choice of singer, who would you choose to sing for "New" Queen? George Michael? Robert Plant? (did a nice version of "Innuendo" some years back)

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

http://www.badcompany.com/index.html

I just purchased tickets to the Jones Beach show. I'm really psyched to see this show. Rock n roll doesn't get any more Legendary than Bad Company!!!

7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I have to say that Robert Plants "attempt" at the Queen songs was pretty pitiful. I don't think it was his fault either (monitor problems?) but it was as bad as the Atlantic 40th Party. Clearly, Plant does not do operatic stuff and its a style he is not suited to at all. I love Percy by the way, but this was a big embarassing no no.

Glenn Hughes could do it, he's done some Queen covers on the odd tribute album.

How's the Cosmos Rocks now people have lived with it for a few months?

8. I don't think their live effort meshed well at all, but irregardless of how it sold, the studio album was quite good. I'm really glad to have it.

9. longaway

longaway Senior Member

I think they missed their opportunity for their best choice when a drunk John Deacon opened his mouth to the press, bashing Robbie Williams. While he's obviously not the singer that Freddie was, he can still sing just fine, but more importantly he possesses a level of showmanship that the Queen concept needs to thrive.

If they want to continue at this point, the best course of action, IMO, would be to find a completely different type of singer than Paul Rodgers, tour/album/tour, then move on to yet another singer, rinse, repeat. Posit that each of these singers is there to represent an aspect of Queen/Mercury, thus deconstructing the Queen concept and showing how it could only be truly successful by combining each of these aspects into a whole, and that Mercury was the only possible singer up to the task.

The sad part is that none of the new material in this scenario would be a match for the Mercury albums, but at the end it would provide an incredible juxtopistion to them.

My other two thoughts options are:
    a) Brian and Roger sing themselves and be happy playing smaller venues with the opportunity to vary the setlists.

b) They call it quits and finally put out Greatest Video Hits III on DVD/Blu-Ray. (I want Innuendo in surround, darn it!)

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I always thought the pairing was odd and I love both Rogers and Queen. I just don't want to see them together. They did pretty good business touring. I wonder if they will get another singer. I would love for Brian May to get a solo band back together w/ some awesome singer and not have to worry about being under the Queen monicker. Roger Taylor can join too!

11. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I was impressed that Paul Rodgers didn't impersonate Freddie, quite the opposite, he sang them his own way and did the job he was asked.

Plus Queen got to play some Free and Bad Co. songs as well, which Brian obviously enjoyed, just for a change.

I missed this, do you have a link? ( I can't imagine JD being drunk.....that's all!!!!!)

12. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Add me to the crowd that thought the 2 styles didn't mesh. I thought Cosmos Rocks was largely forgettable and the completist is me cringed when I read they were going to release a 2 CD live set of their recent tour. I liked Bad Company, loved Queen, but the combo is more peanut butter and sardines than it is PB&J...

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

George Michael would be a great choice, if George could get his personal life in order. Paul Rodgers? Well, it looked odd on paper, and it sounded as odd as it looked.

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure it does. The band in your avatar is a heckuva lot more "legendary" than Bad Company. There are tons of bands more "legendary" than BC...

15. Maidenpriest

Forgetable IMO:( and I was the one that was really raving about it!

If Queen wish to continue, they just need to go out into the pubs and clubs across the land and find an unknown who can sing Freddie songs but also brings his own style as well, but honestly without Deacon whats the point, Queen aint Queen with out the quiet bass player IMO

Robbie Williams:hurl:
    far to young and cocky!!

16. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

How about going away gracefully.

17. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Thanks Phil, brutal, honest and trustworthy as ever :thumbsup: Wonder what I can spend my £10 on now?
    I don't think they need John Deacon, they need Freddie Mercury.

Anyone ever watch the Vision Years 3 Box set (video tape)?. The part in the studio where they are making One Vision. Every idea for the guitar rhythm parts is Freddie's. (FM To Brian) try doing .. ba b' ba b' ba..One Vision. What Brian needs is someone to provide the ideas and refreshing direction with a cutting edge. He plays great with direction, but without it, he seems lost for ideas. I Love his playing..but his solo stuff is LAME. He needs someone to push and think outside the envelope for him because without that he simply becomes just another guitarist (a talented one, but just "another") IMHO.

18. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I hated the idea of The Cosmos Rocks. Having lived with it awhile and listened to it off and on with low expectations, I actually think it's a pretty good album. It's not very serious. Queen do their thing. Rogers does his thing. It sounds like both parties having a very expensive vacation together. Besides, it's not like a real Queen album would fit in this day and age. There's absolutely no vibe on the album that makes me think they're trying to live up to their past or replace Freddie. They're just rocking out together for awhile instead of wasting time waiting for Freddie to rise from the dead. No harm done to themselves, their fans, or their legacy. Just a record.

19. Maidenpriest

Perhaps Bruce Dickinson if he was not tied to Maiden, he did a really great Bo Rap with the opera singer, don't ask me to spell her name, he can work the stage well etc

20. Maidenpriest

No way, he aint Rock!! he hasn't got the diversity and anyway he is far too weird, he'll tarnish the Queen name!! Why don't we just select Boy George as well why we are at it:D

21. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I suspect FM may well have done the same things once upon a time :sigh::eek: (perhaps with more style..like in New York or Rio)..but anyway, this is sooo off topic.

Phil, how about Will Young ??????????????????????????????????????
    :ignore:

22. Maidenpriest

Of Course but he was clever enough for us not to know about it wasn't he, so respect! Hell I didn't reliese he swung both ways until he died? :eek:

23. Maidenpriest

:laugh:Will Young:laugh:

Yeah if you want half the song to be Ohhs and Vocal jazzy improvisation etc instead of words:D

24. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Right. Because Freddie was so timid and demure. :angel:

25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I couldn't stand the Cosmos Rocks album. I tried to listen to it with an open mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.