Black Friday Record Store Day 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I'm not sure why people thought the turnout should have been anything other than what it was. The list was significantly smaller than earlier this year, and there were fewer interesting releases.

2. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

But you weren't forced to, right?

3. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I went to the shop I usually go to for these things in the DC area. He usually gets a lot of stuff but the prices seem really high but people buy stuff including myself so I shouldn't complain.
    The store opened at 10 and I got there at 9:45. There were only 7 people in front of me which I was glad of since I had my 5 and 7 year old daughters with me.
    I got the things I really wanted: Sonics box, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins and the Big Star 10", and a few things I bought on a whim: Roscoe Holcomb, High Fidelity and Jazz at Massey Hall.
    I spent way too much money but got some cool records and it wasn't a mad house.
    I've only listened to the Carl Perkins which sounds killer and the sonics box which is really cool. The third LP has a bunch of rarities including 4 xmas tunes which I blasted as we decorated the Tree:winkgrin:

4. Larry Loves LPs

A couple of shops here didn't do it this year. Also, there are supposedly 200 more shops in the country participating which makes it harder for them to get the things they order.

5. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Yes and Yes

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

No notch no button...

7. DPM

DPM Senior Member

That's just it: I didn't think there was going to be a big turnout because there were fewer interesting titles. This is one reason why I think they are dipping into the well once too often each year.

As I stated above, all of my purchases had nothing to do with Record Store Day. The main reason I went is because I knew the latest Dweezil Zappa and the Jethro Tull set were coming out. I've also noticed that Record Store Day is a good bet for finding interesting used stuff. Witness the MFSL gold CD (Elton John/Tumbleweed Connection) I found today.

8. kman

kman Forum Resident

Of course not --- I freely parted with my money
    But did save some $$$ for alcohol --- the most important purchase of the day

9. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Got the Sonics set and it's missing the download card. Kind of sucks, but at least I have the records. The store didn't have the Massey set which I am now dying for.

apple-richard likes this.
  10. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

Got to Independent Records Platte location at about 6-something. Only about 5 peeps in line so i sat in the car to stay warm; 8 degrees is too cold for my scrawny, narrow ass. Finally got in line shortly after 8 and they opened at 9... just as my toes were slipping over the line into frostbite. Got copy# 2197 of The Clash and a Green Day "American Idiot" 2xLP Gatefold. Disc 1 is a super awesome blood red and black swirl, disc 2 is a grey and black swirl. It also has a really cool poster. Not sure if it was a RSD release or not. They were out of the Garbage remaster. The owner said the downtown location still had three copies. I got to the downtown location and was the only customer in the store. I got the Garbage and can confirm it is indeed pink vinyl. The stickers on the outside as well as the spine make sure to let you know that it is the "Standard Edition" so it was a little confusing. Standard Edition as opposed to....? By the way... all three sound great with Garbage winning in the "detail I haven't ever heard" category. If you like Garbage, this one is a must get.

I was surprised at the low turn out as the Platte location usually has a line stretching down the block. The downtown location said they had maybe 2 people and that was it. Of course, it's been colder than eff here in Colorado Springs so not exactly conducive to standing in line all morning. Very happy with the haul and may go back later to see if I can snag a Cardigans as that sounds like a cool release. I saw one but didn't think to grab it.

Another bonus: today was their Black Friday sale so 20% off everything including RSD titles!

BrewCrew82 and 762rob like this.
  11. Larry Loves LPs

I bet light in the attic would help you out for the download, their customer service is awesome.

Dudley Morris and redflag like this.
  12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I think it's less about frequency and more about playing it a little too safe with the releases. As far as dipping into the well too often, for me, it's the constant deluge of '60s and '70s releases from a lot of the same artists.

13. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

I go into it knowing I'm overpaying, but its worth it to me because it feels like a special event with like-minded people. I pay money to go to a movie or show, and this is similar in a way. I usually have a few nice conversations and have a lot of fun digging.

Plus, even if there aren't a ton of releases I'm interested in, I always find a couple, and I think my local stashes some used stuff to put out on that day. Was just in there a couple weeks ago and the new release bin had at least 300 new albums in it that weren't there then. Scored a sweet Miles album...

14. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Bought the Batman 45 after I acquired some Bourbon County Stout. Not sure which I'll get to first.

15. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Wow, including RSD...that's awesome!

16. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I actually look forward to RSD twice per year. It's an innocent vice to have in the scheme of things, and I usually end up trying new things.

17. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

A good day at Pegasus Records in Florence Alabama.

Got the things I wanted:

Big Star 10-inch
    John Lee Hooker
    Beck 12-inch single
    Kinks 7-inch EPs

Left the Clash to others. I have enough variations already. I also picked up some regular stock new and used items. Pegasus had "Buy 3' Get 1 free" on offer so I could not resist. Saw some of the usual suspects this morning and got to catch up on things. Still not sure why all the hate for either version of RSD. The market (and the marketing) will usually self correct when its time. Until then I'm there.

18. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Since the Afghan Whigs 1965 got cancelled, nothing I would camp out for, like I posted above. Got to the small store where I live, only one to do RSD here, around 11:15, got Bohemian Rhapsody. Looked at Earth Wind and Fire and read the "picture disc disclaimer" on the back-put it back. Got to the first spot in Nashville around 1:00 and there was the Massey Hall. Next stop picked up Beck Dreams and, I couldn't believe it, The Cardigans. Nothing of interest at the last two spots-to be honest, was only looking to run into a NIN box. If I would have seen it, I would have bought it, but am ok without it. I have the original cd and the 2-lp vinyl reissue from a couple of years back, the one with a blank side four, and I like them fine. My local small outlet had one box and the first person through the door grabbed it. The only other store where I discussed the day with the staff, they had four and they were all gone just like that. I would suspect Flipper City but who knows.

Maybe in April they will have some stuff that will move me to camp out all night-how about quality reissues of To Bring You My Love by PJ Harvey, Congregation by the Afghan Whigs, Veedon Fleece by Van the Man, Loveless by My Bloody Valentine (just DO it, ok?).

19. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I picked up Gang of Four Songs of the Free and the Lush best-of. Not really a fan of best-of's, but hopefully if this sells well they will reissue the proper albums.

If anyone's wondering, the Gang of Four album uses the way-superior track order of the original UK pressing.

apple-richard likes this.
  20. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I decided to skip RSD Black Friday this year. While there are a half dozen or so released I'm interested in, none of them was a must have in the immediate. From years past I've now learned that just about everything can be had on Monday at Bullmoose.com, or later on at regular prices with some judicious searching. And sometimes the labels release those "special" pressings a year later (I'm looking at you R.E.M. MTV Unplugged!).

What I did do was use Barnes & Noble's 30% off one item online code (30BFRIDAY) to buy the Neko Case 8 LP box set for $132.99, $57 off the price most places, now that's a satisfying discount!

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

No idea, but sounds pretty good so far!

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  22. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Picked up
    Hendrix
    Janis
    The Clash
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Jazz at Mazzy Hall
    Zappa
    Neil Young and the Bluenotes
    Wes Montgomery

Will say the Clash sounds awesome plus it uses the original UK track listing

23. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Got the following:

Tenacious D live
    Johnny Thunders 10"
    Dictators 10"
    Am Rep Color of Noise Soundtrack.

The Am Rep didn't come with a download card. Could've sworn I read that it did somewhere. The red and blue vinyl looks great!

Dictators is amazing. Andrew WK did a really great job remixing those tracks.

Thunders 10" is also amazing.

24. danner

danner Forum Resident

I actually highly prefer the Black Friday RSD over the one in April. The smaller crowd makes it far less stressful and way more enjoyable. Last April, I drove up to the store, saw the line, and decided not bother. This morning was fun and easygoing. We arrived a few minutes after the store had opened and were able to make our way to the bins within a minute or two.

25. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Skipped The Clash and Buzzcocks. I'm on the fence with reissues that I own originals of. Except my Clash is a US pressing, so perhaps that would be worth getting. I did, however, get the Jesus and Mary Chain reissue, which I should have skipped. But I was happy to find out it had the extra tracks that were CD only, and supposedly sourced from the original masters, though whether that's straight from analog or hi-res transfers, it doesn't say.

I also wish Lush wasn't a best-of.

How is the Zombies release? I missed it but if it's decent I'll try to find one.

Carl Perkins is cool, except the cover art is terrible. It looks like a photo of an album cover printed onto the sleeve, which I'm sure it is, but I know for a fact I could have done a much better job recreating the art than whoever they had do it.

Cardigans was sought after, so I picked one up just in case I like it, or I'll end up trading it later for something else.

Grabbed the Bosstones, even though the last album of theirs I liked was Don't Know How to Party, and I generally can't stand live albums. I wouldn't have bought it had the Bosstones posted earlier that they didn't authorize this release.

Also got the B-52s. I hate live albums, but they were good during that era. We'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.