Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, it was a total botch job. Even sourcing from vinyl, it didn't have to sound that bad. There's an excellent sounding fan made vinyl rip out there and an even better sounding reel transfer.

2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Any good price sales on some of the deluxe editions such as Heaven and Hell, Born Again and Dehumanizer?

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what do consider a good price? they can be found for about $15

4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Yeah that's a good price. A while ago someone in this thread posted Seventh Star and Eternal Idol on Amazon. I snapped both of them up brand new for less than $15 for the 2 of them. Nice deal and I never had those albums.

5. Matthew Tate

just keep looking on amazon and ebay. they pop up there for about $15 used and new

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I have a feeling that any rare stuff is spread widely between band members and studios and private hands and that they've never decided to take on the task of seeking it out and preparing it for release. But surely some exists. The tapes for the first 3 bonus discs were all discovered in one stash and already transferred to disc when handed over. No mixing and unless they re-transferred the tapes, they didn't even have to do that. That's why only the first 3 albums received deluxe editions. There was no digging into the vaults. They didn't even use all of what was on the tapes, which included multiple versions of "The Rebel", more alternate mixes and a 1970 soundboard concert.

Anyone have spectrographs from the bonus discs of the LP releases? I'm curious to see if they are 44.1khz indicating they just used the original CD transfers of the tapes or if maybe they re-transferred at hi-res.

zphage and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

8. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Thanks again... very much appreciated!

The Hud likes this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

No problem, I had the same issue.

10. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I'm waiting on Sabotage too at my local Walmart... seems to be elusive no matter how you try to find it :laugh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

12. Music_dude

I've updated my cd collection for the original Ozzy years (1970 to 1978) with the 2016 remasters, with two notable exceptions: MOR - 2009 deluxe, and Volume 4 - 1986 Castle For now, these will remain the'definitive' versions, at least until something better comes along!

13. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

As far as I remember, Volume 4 on Castle has some issues...to me it sounds like taken from a bad tape or even transferred with a bad tape machine...not sure...I clearly prefer the 2009 edition.

14. Music_dude

I've had the 2009 version as well, but it's a bit compressed and eq'ed. I feel the 86 Castle has more of a smoother analogue sound to it. For Volume 4, specifically, the murkier the better - since I believe that captures the spirit of the original recording, and how it was meant to be presented.

15. Matthew Tate

who is singing on the alternate lyrics "planet caravan"? surely that's not ozzy

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ozzy.

17. Matthew Tate

you sure? sounds nothing like him at all

18. Music_dude

It is in fact, Ozzy. At one time I thought it may have been Bill Ward until I learned that they used a special effect to alter the sound of Ozzy's voice or something along those lines

hi_watt likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

yes there is an effect on the released studio version. the alternate lyrics version though the voice is clear as day without any effects and certainly doesn't sound like ozzy at any point in his career

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I'm confused.. Is the 2 disc Black Sabbath Paranoid Deluxe Edition the 2016 remaster or the 2009?

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

driverdrummer likes this.
  22. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I picked up the new Sabbath Bloody Sabbsth remaster. I love the WB Palm Tree logo on the cd. To my ears, it sounds like a cloudy mix. Has the album always sounded like this?

23. Music_dude

Amazon is now advertising a "Super Deluxe " version of Paranoid e.g. (comes packaged with extra goodies ) to be released on November 11th, 2016. Does anyone know if this is a one off, or is Warner Bros planning on releasing Super Deluxes for all the Ozzy Era titles?

24. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

I don't know, but the answer might be somewhere in here: Black Sabbath Paranoid Super Deluxe Edition coming in November »

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I saw a few of the 2016 remasters for the first time in a Canadian store. Walmart has Paranoid, Masters Of Reality, and SBS for $10 each or 2 for $18. The Walmart.ca website has all the 2016 remasters for $10. Much less than Amazon.ca. HMV in Canada isn't carrying the new remasters.

Seeing them for the first time I have to admit they look great with the WB logo on the cover and the booklet. Temped to get them all to upgrade from my WB originals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.