Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

So this is the first time WB/Rhino has been given access to the European Sabbath tapes? There was always that separation in reissues and in quality as well.

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well....one of the main reasons I wanted this issue of Paranoid was that it was from the UK tapes. Every US release has had that wonky volume issue on War Pigs. I'm still not sure what happend there....but it is also on the Rhino reissue.
    Anyway, I have not yet has time to do a direct shootout between the two. But, I've always felt the Rhino was a touch on the bright side.

I've never been that impressed with Ron McMaster's MoR. It's ok, but IMO, my old greenie just kicks it's ass.

Also, the cover of this new MoR is not embossed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  3. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Did Andy only remaster the Ozzy stuff in 2012 or did he do later titles as well? Did a (quick) search and didn't find anything and was curious to know what, if anything, is in the pipeline.

4. jon9091

He indicated on his Twitter page that he was working on them. Just can't find his name anywhere on these.

All three say in the credits
    Remastered by Andy Pearce and Matt Wortham
    I don't see Sean Magee's sig on the vinyl, or any mention of Abbey Road.

Let's see if Sean is still around...
    @third Hi Sean....did you indeed do the vinyl cutting on these Sabbath deluxe editions?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Pop Market still lists these as in stock. I gave in and placed an order which was accepted but the confirmation email lists every title as "temporarily backordered". This has happened to me multiple times with Pop Market. Eventually, the order has always been filled but sometimes months later. It's hard to believe in this day and age they wouldn't have a more functional website.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sounds perfectly "functional" to me. They got you to order, and that was the goal.

7. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

What's the chances of that ever happening?

8. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Ah, that would make sense. I'd heard of the box set, but didn't dig too deep into the mastering info. I'm debating picking up the recent ones...if they are different than the 2009 it may be worth a shot.

9. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I'm no expert on Sabbath, but I have to think there's enough material to do deluxe editions of the rest of the Ozzy albums.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Or the tapes were cut to pressing parts for vinyl in London and those were sent to the US offices of Warner Music Group. No original tapes ever landed in the US.

11. jon9091

Yeah, I think all the work was done in the UK, then shipped to QRP for pressing. These are probably for the US market to coincide with the start of the tour. The stickers on the shrink wrap use the same "The End" marketing we've seen in the video etc.

ODShowtime likes this.
  12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The dynamic range database indicates that the new release is different from the previous deluxe edition.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I know, but hey, no harm in dreaming :)

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm not saying there isn't, but all of the bonus tracks on the DE came from a cache of tapes discovered not that long ago. These tapes weren't something in the Sabbath archives and only had material from the first three albums. There was no delving into the archive to create the DEs. These tapes were already mixed and transferred to digital when the label got a hold of them. The tapes had a few more things, like a bunch of takes of The Rebel and a 1970 soundboard concert.

There may very well be more unreleased material in the archive, but they never seem interested in doing a dig. That would need searching, researching, mixing, etc. A major undertaking as opposed to what was needed for the DEs. I hope one day they are motivated to clear the archives. Maybe when the EU copyright expiration comes about. Only a few more years for things like The Rebel and early acetate versions.

15. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Thanks for the information on that. Hoping for some new discoveries.

16. Over the UK deluxe edition from 2009, correct?

17. Past lives too?

18. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

correct

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  19. Thank you. Any word if Past Lives is an improvement over the UK 2009 Deluxe?

20. jon9091

I'm not sure what the difference is, but it says on the dynamic range database (for whatever it's worth)

2016 release based on a previously unreleased on CD 2012 remaster

So, I'm guessing the original mastering was done in 2009, and everything after comes from those digital files. I seriously doubt Andy Pearce would remaster these albums two or even three times between 2009 and now. But hey, if he did maybe they'll eventually fix the f'd up TE and NSD reissues.

Purple likes this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Even if these are the same transfers, they should show a bit different (for the S/T at least) as the prior deluxe edition has "Evil Woman" as part of the album and "Wicked World" as a bonus track on CD 2, while the new edition does the reverse. Could that be the reason for the difference?

22. heepsterandrey

I'm the one who wrote that, based on what the hype sticker said. As for what sources they are check this thread out and see what you think about it. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/black-sabbath-2012-lp-boxset.301396/

jon9091 likes this.
  23. heepsterandrey

I think the hype sticker on the front the CD set neglected to mention its source as being a remaster. You'll also notice the same is true if you visit the amazon descriptions for each individual album. Past Lives is the only that does not mention being a 2012 remaster. I think it's safe to assume it is a clone of the original 2002 release.

24. jon9091

Interesting. There's also this bit here

Point 1: This is a vinyl box set, and the press release says it’s been remastered. I asked them if this is using the same remastering that was done in the 2008-2010 remaster release series by Universal. I was told no, it was remastered again by Andy Pearce in 24bit for the 2012 vinyl project, so this is another new remastering to factor into the equation.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/2012/11/vinyl-box-set-to-be-released/

So, I guess these are based on the 2012 remaster, as opposed to his 2009 remastering? I wonder if the new vinyl is identical to the box set vinyl....or if that's what Sean Magee was tweaking? Jeez....how confusing. Did anyone buy that box?

25. jon9091

Btw....the matrix numbers on S/T do match what Sean has written on his notebook here....

[​IMG]
    11h11 hours ago
    sean magee ‏@iiirdsworld
    New eq book started today, a great way to open it

[​IMG]

Opeth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.