Black Sabbath: Live At Last

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JWB, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWB

JWB New Member Thread Starter

What is the story behind this album? Where and when was it recorded and can you get the complete show on bootlegs?

What is the best CD version? I'm thinking about getting the Castle remaster but I've read that it's missing the intro. How does "Past Lives" stack up?

2. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

All of it and more is on Past Lives. Just get that.

I think it was recorded at various times and places.

3. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I think they might have compressed the sound a bit on _Past Lives_, so I would try to find the original Castle CD. The remaster is only missing the "Will You Welcome...Black Sabbath" intro. No idea why they cut it. It does have nice liner notes and photos.

I always loved this album despite the band fighting its release. It was a huge seller in the UK when originally issued in 1980. I think with the band having a new singer and _Heaven And Hell_ out at the time didn't exactly help them desire to see tapes from 1973 come out, but the album really is explosive, even if not a sonic gem. The version of "War Pigs" on it absolutely kills! I remember hearing that version on a local high school radio station as a kid and just being blown away. The same DJ had just played Hendrix' "Peace In Mississippi" from _Crash Landing_ before that. Anyway, I bought the album and spun it many a time. I still listen to it and it never fails to amaze. I think the band dogged its release so much that many have sort of overlooked just how fun it is to hear the band live in early 1973.

As a side note, the material was recorded on their British tour in March, 1973 with Badger (featuring ex-Yes keyboardist Tony Kaye) and Necromandus ( a band Iommi produced but whose album was never issued until years later) opening.

Oh, and there is always this if you have money to burn and can track it down!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...20007981669&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

hi_watt likes this.
  4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Past Lives is SO MUCH better than the horrible Castle remaster it's not even funny!

5. Jeff Carney

I'll have to pick up Past Lives again, as I don't remember noticing much difference at all, but this was a while back. Thanks, Anton!

Btw, the Castle issue isn't remastered. I believe it's just the same flat transfer as the original Castle CD minus the intro.

6. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

I agree, much better sound plus more material!!!!!

7. JWB

Does "Past Lives" have the intro?

8. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

Nope, it's not there.

With regard to your original post asking about the album's "story" and to build on what JeffMcCarney already posted, Side One is from Manchester on March 11, 1973, and Side Two is from the Rainbow on March 16. No further material from either of those two shows has surfaced, but a few other complete shows from Feb-March '73 have gotten out. All this recording was for a planned official live album that never properly happened.

It's a bit funny because the band was unhappy that this record came out (unsanctioned by them) in 1980, but since it's on the Past Lives set, it's considered officially endorsed now.

9. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

Despite the slightly strange tracklist, I think Live At Last is essential listening if you're a Sabbath fan, especially of the Vol. 4 album. The band was tuned down really low on this tour, to C# I think, which is 3 half steps below normal guitar tuning, and certainly the lowest tuning they ever played in live. The result is possibly the heaviest sound heard in the 70's - a thick, sludgy amazing stew. To top it off 1973 was the start of Ozzy's best vocal period, which was pretty brief, in my opinion only lasting until the end of the Sabotage tour which ended in January 1976. On the subsequent tours for Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die, Ozzy (aside from the usual substance abuses) had persistent colds and flus, and continued to sing whilst sick and it really took a toll on his voice - I think he had a cold or flu for the entire US leg of the Never Say Die tour, which lasted nearly 6 months. But getting back to Live At Last, there's a 'hair standing up on the back of my neck' moment on this album, and it gets me every single time - right before War Pigs, Ozzy's doing his usual rap, pumping up the crowd and telling them if they want to go crazy to go crazy etc, but a split second before the first massive chord crashes in, Ozzy yells 'GET UP!' - his voice sort of cracks and goes up an octave and it makes him sound absolutely manic and unhinged and i swear it gets me every time.

Mastering aside, I felt Past Lives was a massive disappointment - Tony Iommi has said he essentially has a vault full of live recordings, and it's widely known that the band professionally recorded multiple shows on every tour from 1972 to Ozzy's departure in 1978 with a view toward putting out a live album, yet we get a bunch of material that's been widely available in bootleg trading circles for years, in much more complete versions. The Paris 1970 tracks come from an amazing concert film recorded by Belgian (I think) TV - if you think the audio is good, seeing a young Sabbath plow through almost everything from their first two albums is revelatory. The 1975 material comes from a show recorded by the King Biscuit Flower Hour, and the complete version is far superior - this tour was the only one they played Spiral Architect and it's omitted from Past Lives.

There's a persistent rumour that's been going around for years, I first heard it when I first got on the 'net in 1994, and that is that Sabbath filmed one or more of their Spring 1973 shows - the same tour that produced Live At Last. I'd love to see it if they have, but if they didn't, they could at least put out a DVD of their California Jam appearance, because that definitely exists.

Dave.

hi_watt likes this.
  10. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

As Jeff said, Sabbath didn't appreciate, or sanction, this live album. Ozzy was just dropped as the lead singer and Sabbath was just promoting their new album. I personally have no issue with the sound quality on the Castle release, although I've noted some do. I've never heard Past Lives so I have nothing to compare it to.

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

There's another "hair standing" moment for me on this album - the introduction to "Snowblind", where Ozzy, yells, "EVERYBODY STAND UP - WE LOVE YOU!" His enunciation - coupled with the opening riff, which is already one of the most dramatic in heavy rock music - is strangely moving to me. The triumphant riff, the screaming crowd, and the genuinely affectionate Ozzy all combine in what is, to me, one of the greatest recorded moments in rock music. Sabbath seems to have a very special relationship with its audience.

miinsane, Gus Tomato and hi_watt like this.
  12. Jeff Carney

The spine tingler for me is Iommi's solo on "War Pigs." As he launches into it and that extra boost of fuzz kicks in, it just gets me every time. He plays the solo with such command. Blissful!

hi_watt likes this.
  13. JWB

Which CD's have the intro?

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I don't agree with the comments about Past Lives being so much better than the Castle '96. With Past Lives brought down 3db to match the RMS level of Castle '96, I compared "Tomorrow's Dream". I find them very similar with the edge going to Castle '96. To me it seems that they just took the Castle '96 and maximized it for Past Lives. Is a bit harsh as a result. The 2nd CD of PL doesn't interest me as I have both shows in full in just as good quality on boots, so for me the winner is Castle '96. Haven't compared either to my original vinyl yet. I also wonder what the older CDs sound like. I would always see this title in those 4.99 bins on (I think) the Nems label, but had the cassette so never bought it.

Here are the Tomorrow's Dream files for comparison:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/28700796/Live_at_Last.zip.html

Anthrax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.