Black Sabbath - The Ten Year War Deluxe Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zumbi, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member Thread Starter

I know that Black Sabbath have released lots and lots of reissues on their records. And I was not happy at all with their 2015 reissues, in my opinion they sounded to compressed. But I am very curious on this boxset called The Ten Year War.

Does anyone here own it and can give me your opinions on the sound quality? Is it worth the money?

2. Zumbi

No comments at all...?

Tojo likes this.
  3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Zumbi likes this.
  4. Zumbi

Thanks! I tried to do a search, but could not find it!

5. It uses the same mastering as this earlier (2012) LP box set:
    Black Sabbath - The Vinyl Collection 1970-1978

and this hi-res digital release:
    Black Sabbath - The Complete Albums 1970-1978

and the 2016 WB/Rhino CD releases.

I don't have the LPs, just the digital files. Sound is not brickwalled, but super-bright, super-detailed. Some people like it. Many others, especially those who are familar with the sound of the original LPs, don't, because these albums were supposed to sound much darker and warmer than they do on these re-releases. Paranoid sounds great though, even though it is too bright. With some EQ, it would be fantastic. The artwork of the LPs is said to be superb. But if you're looking for vinyl and you want the best sound, I'd rather recommend getting early LPs.

Which 2015 releases are you referring to?

6. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

8. mark winstanley

9. mark winstanley

10. mark winstanley

11. mark winstanley

12. mark winstanley

13. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

In short, I’ve got the Rhino 2010/11 and the Sanctuary 2015 reissues, and also the 2016 Rhino deluxe editions of the three first albums but the Ten year war LPs are the best in my opinion!

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I agree..... the best Andy Pearce remasters of the Ozzy years.

Tojo likes this.
  15. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

16. Whatever they say and write to make it sound like the TYW releases contain a fresh mastering - it doesn't. It has long been established by many people here and elsewhere that the TYW box contains the same 2012 remasters that were, indeed, done by Andy Pearce - in 2012, for the 2012 vinyl box. The same mastering re-appeared, this time in digital form but apparently with vinyl moves (like a narrowed bass stereo image) baked into the mastering, on the 2014 HDtracks hi-res online releases and the 2016 WB/Rhino-CDs; and finally made it, in both digital and analog form, to the 2012 TYW box set and online releases. It is a beautiful box, but the sound of its musical content is neither new, nor is it even close to how these albums were originally supposed to sound like (and did sound, on the original vinyl LPs). Far too bright. (I don't know the 2010/11 Rhino LPs, my reference are early LP pressings and other digital releases.) All the stuff they are saying along the lines of "we compared to the original LPs to come close to, while improving on, the original sound" is pure marketing blabla.

xaml likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.