Blackmore on Satriani

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by townsend, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverhead

silverhead Give them an inch and they will take a mile

I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. Eric Morecambe
    Read more at: Eric Morecambe Quotes

2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Ritchie goes on to say many complementary things about both Satch and Steve Morse - this really is not that controversial. I think I understand where he is coming from, although I don't agree . Many people do not like pitch perfect, technical guitar playing. I had a friend who used to argue with me that Johnny Thunders was a better guitar player than both Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai. He thought there was more emotion in Thunders slop, than perfectly executed harmonic minor scales or lydian modes. I think that is kinda where Ritchie is going here. Or not :)

3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Among the "super technical" guitarists, I like Satriani the least. I much prefer Eric Johnson, Allan Holdsworth, EVH, and tricksters like Adrian Belew, Vai, and the like. I haven't really heard enough of Steve Morse to form an opinion.

I won't even compare Joe with jazz players like McLaughlin and Larry Coryell.

Randy Rhoads was really something else entirely. I consider myself very lucky to have seen him play. He was astounding.

Probably the understatement of the year, but Ritchie's a strange guy. In his prime, he was quite the technician himself, but capable of being truly raw and wild as well. The only two players I can think of who still have their virtuosity and their edge after age 70 are Jeff Beck and McLaughlin.

moodyxadi, AndydD and GodShifter like this.
  4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The difference btw Blackmore and Satch today. Joe still record some good songs... not the same great stuff like in the 80’s and 90’s, but for this long career, an amazing run.

I can’t say the same about Ritchie. Since the late 80’s he recorded boring stuff. He wasted his talent with Blackmore’s Night... for decades! The last listenable record is Perfect Strangers.

Doggiedogma and showtaper like this.
  5. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

You try on all the notes for size, in private. When you're playing for other people's enjoyment, you do your best to leave the wrong ones at home.

enro99, showtaper and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i think satriani is great, but a little dry. i think he is quite a good composer and that is why someone back there said it sounds like he put it together on a computer ... that's good composition ... some folks bang something out and say/think yep that's it, other folk write it out and play it.
    there's a place for technical guitarists and a place for bangers, both have something to offer and both have guys guilty of playing too safe, too often.

7. mark winstanley

and that is the difference between the seventies and now. a concert used to be fifty percent regurgitate the record and fifty percent improvise (just numbers, and they vary for every band) these days it is all about regurgitating/replicating the record. the spark is gone.
    improvising is dangerous, and can fail miserably, but when it succeeds it is unbeatable.

8. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

When Johnny Cash's guitarist Luther Perkins was asked about his minimalist approach to the guitar he responded that other guitar players spent their time looking for the right notes, but he’d found them.

9. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Important? Blackmore hasn't been important since - what - 198something? Last I heard he was busy wanking around with that pseudo-medieval drivel wasn't he? Go back to sleep, grandpa. No one cares anymore.

Doggiedogma and showtaper like this.
  10. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

As is Joe's latest album, "Shockwave Supernova".

Stormrider77 likes this.
  11. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

:unhunh:

:biglaugh: Claus, you crack me up.

12. mark winstanley

yep. malmsteen often gets hit with the no feel nonsense, but i thought especially on his solo debut, and even more specifically far beyond the sun, the feel is sensational.

13. Otis1974

Otis1974 Forum Resident

"There are no mistakes. only happy accidents."

Bob Ross

SG47 and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

when i first started gigging i learned pretty early on, a bend or slide are great friends lol

kevywevy and Dudley Morris like this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Translation of RB's comments.....
    Ritchie's style incorporates more micro tonalities in his playing than the guys he mentioned. Satriani IMO does not sound like anyone else...well almost.....well at least he has some personal traits in his playing.
    Anyway, very different styles of music and playing between Ritchie and Satriani. A good thing. Why would we want everyone to sound the same?
    I don't listen to Satriani that much compared to Ritchie's music.
    Satriani plays plenty of wrong notes...they just are not as wrong as Ritchie's.

BDC, SG47, MoonPool and 1 other person like this.
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Both great players, Joe is one of my favorite players today, Ritchie is my favorite player of all time. And I get what Ritchie is saying about Joe's playing.

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I was able to listen to House of Blue Light, The Battles Rages On, and well as Under a Violet Moon. And his new song Waiting for a Sign.

They aren't as good as Perfect Strangers, Fireball, Burn, etc, but very few albums are!

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It's all different shades of the colour 'guitar'.

Ritchie Blackmore, Eric Clapton, Steve Vai, Kurt Cobain, Yngwie Malmsteen, David Gilmour, Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler, Chuck Berry, Frank Zappa, The Edge, Angus Young... I have time for all of them (and more).

20. zen

zen Senior Member

No way Jose!...for rock music, it's definitely, The Battle Rages On. For medieval pop....it's probably, Ghost of a Rose.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    moodyxadi and johnny q like this.
  21. “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    - Ludwig van Beethoven

22. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

You're never more than a half-step away from a "right" note.

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Log off, troll. No one's interested in your pseudo-opinion.

24. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Technically anyone from the Rosenberg Trio blows Satch out of water...

25. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I agree with your list - minus Kurt Cobain. He was not a guitar player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.