Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I really liked it too and plan on seeing it again. I watch the bluray release of the final cut at least once a year.

2. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

Amateur.

Bowie Fett, keef00 and ssmith3046 like this.
  3. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

A local film fest run by a guy I know showed the Theatrical Cut in 4K projection last Spring. First time I'd seen it in years. It was heaven.

Runicen, SuntoryTime and ssmith3046 like this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

No, but she could be exactly the same as the Rachel he first met and fell for. It's interesting to consider how one would react to an exact replica of their loved one, but from an earlier stage in life. If you've lost the original, that could be tempting. For us (humans), it may not seem as much so as any copy wouldn't be human, but for Deckard this isn't a problem.

However they did it, it came out very well. The re-filmed Zora scenes using a much older Joanna Cassidy also came out very well. I guess it really helps when you have the original person, even if they are much older and look different. Contrast with how fake the completely CGI Leia and Tarkin characters looked in Rogue One.

5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

It did feel like something of a cheap gimmick, that whiff of fan fiction, again. That's another section that could have been cut. End it with Wallace's vague threat about Deckard knowing real pain or whatever he said, and cut to the next scene.

The more I think about it, the more logic problems I find with the film, and the more flab. I still think it was entertaining, and scene for scene there's a lot to like, but it may not hold up to scrutiny as a whole.

6. Enjoyed it but I’d cut off 45 minutes.

7. I also kept thinking of AI. A film that got better with each viewing.

SuntoryTime, SteveM and pdenny like this.
  8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Wow. I thought I was the sole member of the AI fan club.

9. Ha. I’ve seen it about 5 times. I really like it.

Obviously the Pinocchio connection was the reminder.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just made the mistake of reading a review and they mentioned "the one." I want to throw up. Exactly what I thought might go wrong. The beautiful simplicity of "Blade Runner" complicated and sullied by claptrap, unoriginal claptrap at that.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I really liked AI.
    Blade Runner was amazing when it came out in the eighties. Seen the restoration early nineties still looked good. Looks dated now. What's BR 2049 like?
    Also...Extended blu ray version ?

Damiano54 likes this.
  12. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Another fan here :wave:

Mazzy and SteveM like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked the end of "A.I." the best. It was completely CGI and visionary. Excavating the frozen world: Sublime. Fantastic ending. Didn't like "sideshow" scene. Too Spielberg. Needed Kubrick's high art cynicism -- Mr. Deltoid running the show. Leering.

sO BlaDe RuNNer goes intelligence. ai, yi, yi. I just wished for more noire. Maybe that's what people aren't getting, though. The 'slow parts." Good banter? How's the dialog?

Blade Runner (orig.) doesn't look "dated" to me at all.

Best character in Sci-Fi is the kid in "E.T." who tries to touch Dee Wallace's butt. :p

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    SuntoryTime likes this.
  14. No, I officially started the club the day I first saw it and shared the cinema screening with far too many fidgety teenagers who got bored quickly and wanted to leave early - that's when I knew we were on to something here! ;)
    In the UK the BBFC ratings are not very helpful - this received a PG - meaning parents and children alike thought this must be a "kids film" as by definition it suggests "parental guidance" needed only. It is way too dark and cerebral for younger children to fully absorb, let alone "enjoy".

pdenny likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Begs repeat viewing.
    AI ...natch.

16. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

Seen it. Good movie, beautifully done, his majesty Ryan Gosling is great. But what was the point of giving Blade Runner a sequel ?..

17. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Nice rhetorical question.

18. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

AI is all-time Top 10 for me.

pdenny likes this.
  19. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Was very positively surprised by how good this was, especially after the abysmal series of reboot/sequel clunkers we've have to endure recently (including from Mr. Scott himself...Alien: Covenant).

I'm also glad they kept it to almost 3 hours. I haven't felt so immersed in an environment in a long time, and I love a film that really transports to you to another world. Not gonna lie, I almost teared up toward the end.

Villeneuve is one of today's masters, no doubt.

20. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I saw it yesterday and thought it was excellent. What a visually stunning movie.

21. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

He broke into the liquor cabinet and lived happily ever after

Runicen, Robert C and HiredGoon like this.
  22. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I suspect you are correct. I saw it in my local, badly in need of updating, multiplex and I was glad I brought earplugs. I liked it enough to maybe make the 30 mile trek to see it in a theater I know has good sound and see it again.

I thought it was a worthy sequel and liked the callbacks. I was glad I watched the original over the weekend before going.

I was expecting a cameo from Harrison Ford and when he stuck around it made the movie feel overlong.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm afraid I can't put things that way...doesn't sound as much like reasoned criticism, as an impatient person with his watch out, more concerned with where he thinks he should have been 45 minutes ago. If I were to feel that way, I'd come up with exactly what I felt was superflous right up front, rather than grumbling about the edit without specifics.

Now me, I have no reason to complain...I fell off asleep a few times in the first 45 minutes, so I can't say what they should have cut! :D
    Think next time I go, I'm gonna have to get more speel ahead of time...:hide:

That said...if I could pick up on what was going on every time I woke up, and could still put together what the plot was...well, that's a case for some editing in the first half righ there...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Mazzy likes this.
  24. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'll post this for no particular reason. Ridley Scott's 1979 Chanel No. 5 commercial, one of his masterpieces for the brand, with some flourishes that would echo into the original Blade Runner. That shot of the model walking toward the camera is the obvious blueprint for Rachael's first appearance, water-reflected light and all.

25. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

The original one of my favorites, I really want to see this one. I heard it's really good but long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.