Blazing Saddles still on 6/29 ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ubsman, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member Thread Starter

Surpised to see no ads for this in the paper today. Nothing about it in Best Buy ad, or others. Even DVD Planet doesn't mention it as "in stock" yet. Is it still coming out this Tuesday?

2. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

My copy's in the mail from Deep Discount DVD, so I hope it isnt.;)

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I saw a TV commercial advertising it yesterday, so based on that I'd say it's still coming. I didn't get any flyers in the paper for either K-Mart or Target, surprisingly, and nothing in Best Buy's flyer. Perhaps they're all gearing up for July 4th sales instead.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

5. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Tuesday is definitely the day. Circuit City had it in their flyer today for $12.99, IIRC.

Gary

6. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Mongo :love: Sheriff Bart.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Evan

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

:thumbsup: Love this movie!

9. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I saw the CC ad as well but I was surprised that BB didnt have it in their ad. Looks like this plus the Dave Matthews cd/dvd and maybe one other thing I am forgetting for this Tuesday.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Got mine at Costco today!

Excuse me while I whip this out.....!

11. ubsman

how much was it? it was under $10 at Smith's Marketplace in Utah.. something like 9.77 (I forget now... I almost bought 2)

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

$11.99 (I think...I was too excited to even pay attention).

13. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I got a copy but it's too late to watch now - anybody got a review for us???

14. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Just finished watching this a little while ago. Nice widescreen transfer of the movie. The 5.1 mix is surprisingly good, but won't blow your doors off. Oatsdad's review is pretty much right on the money, so I will not attempt to steal his thunder buy saying anymore besides, the new DVD is a good value for the money. Got it for $11.99 at Costco!! :righton:

15. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. This will save me a few $$ if I go to Costco. I was going to Target and it would have been more I am sure.

16. ubsman

I'm wondering if they should have increased the bit rate during the shaky hand scene. Or is it supposed to look like that? Best 9.88 I've ever spent though (10.53 with the tax).

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There are still old versions of the movie out there on the shelves, too. The special edition is the one with the 5.1 mix, several extras beyond the Mel Brooks audio commentary (really more of an audio essay, but that's neither here nor there), and the "30th Anniversary Edition" banner on the top of the cover.

Frankie Laine's title song sounds great in 5.1. :thumbsup:

They also showed great restraint in not using the LFE for the campfire beans scene. :)

Regards,

18. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Which is odd, considering that when they were announcing the special edition, the joke all the studio people kept repeating was "Wait'll you hear the campfire scene in 5.1!"
    :righton:

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Well, there is definite stereo panning if not surround sound or LFE. :)

The music sounds really good. Similar to the recent SE of "Enter the Dragon", the music on the 5.1 remix sounds so much better recorded than the dialog and effects that it's almost off-putting, but I emphasize the "almost".

Regards,

20. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I love the was Mel Brooks uses music in this movie. The singing by the RR tracks "I get a Kick", the Count Basie Orchestra in the desert, the Lily vonSchtoop tune, the Dom Deluise production number, and whatever I forgot.

Who would expect to see Count Basie in the desert sands (hotel?) :D

21. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Opps! must be the beans...

There was a huge publicity stunt here in L.A. yesterday to promote the DVD. Guys were jumping into a very large vat of baked beans surrounded by Blazing Saddles posters. The local news showed the event while the campfire scene (muted) played on the split screen. Needless to say there was very little comment from the anchor.

22. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Got mine in the mail today and can't wait to watch it. "You do that voodoo that you do sooooo welllllll!!!."

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Dude - shameless link, right above you!!! What am I, chopped liver??? :cry:

24. Beatlelennon65

yes. I mean no! I enjoyed the review and it was pretty accurate. I thought the picture looked good enough for a 30 year old movie that "nobody was going to watch anyway".

25. Beatlelennon65

Where's Grant? I'm sure he has an opinion on why this movie shouldnt be released. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.