Blu-Ray Players with analog (RCA) audio output jacks?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jose Jones, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I bought a refurbished BDP-93, for that very reason, legacy I/O. Very inexpensive on eBay.

My Emotiva processor's HDMI out, died (still under warranty) and I have hooked my Oppo directly to the HDMI on the TV for video and I run digital optical into my Peachtree iNova for the audio.

I am not a fan of HDMI. I know that it's necessary to have the HD video from the Blu-Ray. BUT... I really do not like that someone, other than me, can decide what happens to the signal with regard to DRM.

Before I bought the Oppo, I had a Sony CD player and a Samsung Blu-Ray player. The Samsung started to not play certain Blu-Ray discs that it had played before (and my updates were all up to date).

Beware! Just because the player has RCA outs, don't bet that they will work with HDMI signals. Since my Chromecast was plugged into my processor and the HDMI out was broken, I thought I would have a temp fix and take the processor's Yellow RCA video out to the Yellow video in on my 2006 DLP TV. No Such! Just a message saying that DRM prevents this, use the HDMI out to the HDMI In to the TV.

I bought the older 100 series Emotiva processor because of the legacy outs along with HDMI in's and one HDMI out. I wasn't concerned with the 95 or 105 with the Saber DAC because the iNova has a nice, slightly older Saber DAC. I was to find out, that playing SACD's, I was expecting to take the digital out from the player and into the iNova's DAC, but no, DRM has all SACD out to RCA's, you cannot use the digital outs from the Blu-Ray, in this case, you must use the RCA's.

Fortunately, HDMI DRM's do not seem to be restricting audio from be out from RCA jacks, just video and select types of digital audio.

All audio from Blu-Ray discs seems to be legal (for now). I paid less than $400 for my "refurbished" Oppo 93 player. When I received it, it appeared to be NIB. The company that I dealt with on eBay has great service and anything Oppo has available. Very happy with my Oppo, lighted remote and all. If you would like the eBay company I purchased from, please email me.

If you are someone who has older systems with limited or no HDMI in/out's, I do suggest you make as much effort as possible to purchase equipment that has legacy in's/ out's (hopefully, with HDMI support as well). There is a lot of nice equipment on the market now, and at reasonable prices, when this gear is gone, it will be gone.

Get physical media, while you still can, at bargain prices.

Big brother will not be able to turn you off...

formu_la likes this.
  2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yamaha BD-S677 - I just bought one.

3. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

But a $100 DAC.

4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

How on earth will that help? You'll just break the dac and give yourself a headache!

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Somebody might have told "wait...$150 for a CD/SACD/DVD/BD player able to play XVID, mkv files delivering decent audio/video quality with RCA outs too? Let's stop these gifts".
    I own one of these Sony players you quoted; it even plays 3D Blu-Ray movies. Flimsy material but has been working great, so far (btw, used to watch BD movies, only).

6. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

You won't be missed.

The Herd doesn't buy BD players to listen to music. The Herd buys BD players for movies with the simplest hookup possible. At the lowest price possible.

The Herd listens to music on earbuds. If they listen to music at all.

The other remaining 34 of us should buy an Oppo or better.

Call Oppo direct, ask if they have any refurbished 103s in stock. US$415. Buy it, don't look back. Mine's been bulletproof for over a year now.

chili555, SandAndGlass and SamS like this.
  7. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

Funny thing is I was thinking more about my 76 year old father and his inability to hook up a Blu Ray player without your basic red and blue analog jacks... Esoteric audiophile functions are a different story. Audiophiles will always buy compatible hardware to fuel their passion.

My sister recently bought my dad a blu ray player to go along with his new television. That was a mistake, she soon had to buy a bunch of other hardware to make it usable.

Of course my dad fought her tooth and nail about it. His natural "cheapskate" mentality kept jumping in the middle of the whole process... to the point where my sister has to lie to him about the cost of the hardware she buys ("don't worry dad, I paid $7 for that on amazon..." when trying to explain why she needed a HDMI compatible receiver)

But the problem really didn't start with the Blu Ray player, it started with my dad's desire to accomodate his VHS recorder (which he still uses to record and playback - using an every increasingly complicated set of adaptors - usually purchased by my brother in law - who is constantly over my parents house writing instructions about to do the simplest things - like change from one device to another)

gd0 likes this.
  8. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

This can be set to good ole 2.0. That's the way I have it setup.

9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Is it an achievement these days when a unit doesn't break within a year?

10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Welcome to The Future!

Actually, I get pretty good mileage out of most everything. I almost will it to happen. Because I'm a cheapskate; heck, I could be toptentwist's dad I'm so cheap. :laugh:

11. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

I looked into this about a year ago. I think there's some kind of licensing agreement or something where they have to remove analogue outputs by a certain date. Something to do with preventing piracy.

12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

That's not retail markup, that's potential impact of single component cost on final retail price. For example, a prepared foods manufacturer is often looking at fractions of cents when assessing component costs. This is from professional experience. You should see how low BOM is on most consumer products..... but a fraction of the final retail resulting from everything else that follows in the value chain.

To that end, what do you think the actual cost of materials is in a $1000 DAC? Keeping in mind retailer, distributer, manufacturer, and component supplier profits.... following marketing, selling, assembly, shipping, taxes....??

That $2 component costs adds up several times over by the time you whip out your credit card.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015
  13. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Using my BD-F 7500 in a 5.1 set-up, analog out. Can do 7.1 if needed.

14. Majico

Majico New Member

Hi. I was hunting for a new Bluray player with RCA outs and found this thread on google. What did you end up getting? I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 I bought about 4 years ago(like one of the other members in this thread) The RCA outs sound fantastic, but I was thinking of giving the player to my dad. The RCA's actually sound better than an optical going from the player to my V90 DAC (a terrific DAC in its own right. ). My experience matches one or two of the other posters in here, the RCA outs sound more full bodied in the mid and bass with an overall warmer and more pleasing sound, though I do think the optical has more detail. I am considering the Oppo 103 as well, but yea. Still really expensive.

Jose Jones likes this.
  15. Majico

Majico New Member

I own that player and I absolutely love it. Its been going strong for 4 years now. And the audio from bluray movies sounds absolutely fantastic ( I can swear the bluray audio sounds better than CD audio played on the device. It could be my imagination). I connect the RCA outs to my pre/power amp combo into my tower speakers. Its approaching movie theater quality audio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.