Blu Ray Pure Audio discs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by classicanders, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicanders

classicanders Active Member Thread Starter

Besides one Bohm/Bruckner disc I don't have any other Blu Ray Pure Audio discs. Is this format watermark free that can just be ripped to FLAC without any problems?

2. Any discs I've purchased new have come with a Hi-res/Flac download code.

Rolltide likes this.
  3. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

It's doable in a way similar to DVD-A so long as you have an external BR drive and the right software.
    Here's an online guide for your reference:
    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/473-ripping-blu-ray-easy-way/
    The above is essentially the same method I used to extract the hi-res data from Grace Jones - Nightclubbing, XTC - Drums & Wires, etc.

4. classicanders

classicanders Active Member Thread Starter

This was a Decca reissue, no DL code that I know of.

Thanks for the info. But as I recall DVD-A did have several titles that were watermarked?

Just did a quick search on this, so if I understand correctly Blu-Ray (like DVD-A) uses Meridian Lossless Packaging?

5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I have a few BD audio discs and have successfully ripped the audio from all using DVD Fab to rip the whole disc onto my hard drive (which gets past any copy protection / encryption) and then DVD Audio Extractor to rip the audio. The same workflow has worked for the handful of DVD Audios I have and numerous DVD Video / BD discs I have ripped music from.

6. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

No, most of the pure audio discs have PCM tracks so they're already uncompressed.
    Many have TrueHD which is based on MLP or dts-HD Master Audio, but most still include a PCM track.

All Blu-ray Discs feature AACS copy protection but it's very easy to bypass using software like MakeMKV if you want to back-up your discs to be able to stream from your PC. I can't think of a single pure audio title that has used the additional copyright protection available, BD+; pretty sure Fox is still the only content provider using BD+.

7. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

If the Blu-Ray disc in question is not watermarked and has no copyright protection, they should be able to directly use DVD-Audio Extractor (free trial) and rip the audio.

Should that fail, they could try using MakeMKV to copy the contents of the BR Disc onto hard drive and then use DVDAE to extract the audio from the MKV package.

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was thinking of getting the new Simple Minds release of NGD album, one if my faves. Will I be able to put the 96/24 files directly onto my Pono? Or do I need software to do that?

I see people on this forum get very excited about hi res releases on blu ray, but I'm wondering how anyone is p,aging these on their systems if all have copy protection. Can DACs be hooked up directly to blu ray players?

Sorry for newbie questions!

9. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

First of all you have to get the files on your pc, which you can do with one of the methods mentioned above. My personal favorite is making a back up with MakeMKV, and open the back up with DVD Audio Extractot, which lets you get song titles etc from the freedb.

On QuadraphonicQuad there is also a section, still a bit in progress, about ripping discs. Converting MCH discs 101: Overview »

wolfram likes this.
  10. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

This supports another vote in favor of BD Audio. You can rip them to flac or whatever with the right sw, most of it free. I would pay a modest fee to enable it as well.

I have a dvd- audio player in my car, and converted a number of BD Audio surround disc to dvd-a so i could also enjoy them in the car as well.

I LOVe LOVe Blu Ray Audio. What a great format, with high res stereo, surround and video graphics all in one.

Robert van Diggele likes this.
  11. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Well… I'm not so hot about the format personally. I had to get a disc for a title that wasn't available otherwise as a hi-res download (Nevermind the Bollocks, Sex Pistols, not available otherwise to my knowledge anyway)

Ripping was relatively pain free. But the tagging… THE TAGGING. Pulling the correct info for an auto-tag type process didn't work because the track listing didn't match up to a cd release, so it had to be done manually. And then you wonder if you got it right. How's my spelling? Let's check once. Let's check again. And you wonder if you ripped it right. There could be an error… there probably isn't… but what if there was! How would you know?

And that's how your OCD gets the best of you. Not fun, not for me. I'd much rather take a download of official files.

Now, if let's say, they included a download of official files, or they simply allowed them to show up on the disc if it was inserted into a computer... Yeah that'd be pretty neat! I probably still would only buy it if the title were not available as a standalone download, or if the disc was on clearance and somehow managed to be cheaper.

Truth is I prefer filebased playback and the disc itself would likely never see use again unless it included video content. But then it wouldn't be pure audio… see what a conundrum this is?

A Blu Ray that provides relevant video content and a hi res download would be super ideal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.