Bluesound Vault & Sonos question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hifisoup, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram Thread Starter

I have a Sonos system at home having incorporated it into our home audio system and we enjoy it very much. I've attaced a WD as a NAS drive in order to copy CDS for playback using Sonos but quite frankly doing so is a pain in the rear.

Does anyone know if the Bluesound Vault 2 VAULT 2 can be accessed from a Sonos system? Thanks much.

2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Would you be re-ripping the files to the Vault? If so, there doesn’t seem to be much of a time savings, plus under your current setup the files would be accessible by both Sonos and Bluesound. I recently added a Node 2 to my main system, and aside from a hiccup in the Node finding my NAS I’m happy with the result.

Also, IMO, I’m not crazy about the idea of a single unit, in this case the Vault, acting as amp, DAC, and NAS. if one part goes bad, you’ve lost the functionality of three tasks. YMMV of course.

3. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram Thread Starter

I didn't realize the Vault included an amp, which I don't need. Plus the cost of Vault 2 is more than I can spend. I guess I'm just aggravated...I use itunes to copy my CDs and for the life of me I can not figure out how to point the music files to copy to the WD Naz instead of to the computer itself. This makes me want to sh!t can the whole streaming concept and go back to a CD player and turntable!

4. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

The Bluesound Vault 2 doesn't include an amp - it includes a DAC.

I can therefore feed an analogue signal from the DAC into my preamp - which is how it's set up right now - or I can feed a digital signal into a separate DAC - which is my longer term plan.

5. gov

gov Forum Resident

Don’t have sonos so can’t confirm original question but since I see very little around the vault 2 I’ll just chime in and say I’m VERY happy so far with mine.

I had zero interest in spending the time debating every component of a digital system—dac, streamer, nas etc. I’ll leave my obsessing over three decimal places on vtf and which NOS tubes sound best ;)

The bluesound vault could not be easier. My wife can’t turn our system on but she has been helping me rip cd’s on the vault. If I had a monkey I would have already trained it to do it for me with no reaervTions that it would screw it up.

I’ll be adding their remote speakers to it now that I’ve lived with it and determined it’s for me.

6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Careful that you don't let your wife see your post. Just sayin'

PTgraphics likes this.
  7. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

8. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

I moved my iTunes library from my Mac to my WD NAS drive by dragging and dropping the files with both library applications open side by side. It did take quite a long time ( I broke it down into chunks and did it overnight). I then deleted the files from the Mac to increase the memory space.

9. gov

gov Forum Resident

her time is far more valuable than inserting CDs into a machine--hence my monkey comment. ;) It's literally that easy-insert, it rips it, you take it out and add the next one. I've ripped about 400 cds so far and the process is such an afterthought now.

10. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Getting iTunes to use the NAS is simple. You just need to point it there in the "advanced" options. Trickiest part is that you need to make sure the NAS gets mounted at startup or iTunes will revert back to its default if it does not find it. This can be done by adding it to your login items which is under Users.

How to Run iTunes From An External Hard Drive

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Depending upon what platform you are using to rip your CDs I would recommend not using ITunes. On the PC I would recommend dbPoweramp, on the Mac either dbPoweramp or XLD. These programs give you the assurance that your files are accurately ripped, without any errors. I have had problems with ITunes in the past. No one wants to rerip CDs if it can be avoided. And using rip your CDs to ALAC as space is cheap these days. FLAC would be even better but ITunes doesn't recognize it. At least not yet. Better not that it sounds better but because there is more application support. Though you can transcode freely between FLAC and ALAC with no loss of sound quality or data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.