Boardwalk Empire on HBO (pt2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

How did Tommy Darmody know that it was Nucly who killed his dad? Nobody who was there when it happened could have told him. Gillian suspected Nucky did it, but even so I don't think she ever had the opportunity to express her suspicion to Tommy.

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is how you end a mob-related series. Best use of flashbacks in any form, ever.
    And on a totally unrelated topic: I just saw Jersey Boys, and one thing is for certain-we need to see Vincent Piazza (Lucky Luciano, and Tommy DeVito in Jersey Boys) much more!

Maseman66 likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think it was episode S2-4 "What Does The Bee Do?" where she was doing a striptease for him and he has a stroke. I seem to remember she was holding a trident or something that the King Neptune parade made me think of. Maybe they aren't related, but it would make sense that she would be titillating him by doing something reminiscent of when she was first introduced to him.

Bill Hart likes this.
  4. agentalbert

I was wrong, the scene in S2-4 doesn't have anything to do with the King Of Neptune parade. Gillian is doing a bit from one of the shows she was in and scolds the Commodore for not coming to see her perform.

Maybe Nucky isn't the only person she sent a letter or letters to? It's been a number of years.

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

After having the ending spoiled for me yesterday morning (had to check Yahoo email, and one of the top stories had the ending RIGHT IN THE FIRST LINE OF THE ARTICLE PREVIEW. B@$tards...), I finally watched it last night and agree that it was a fitting, well done ending, with a twist I would not have seen coming. Bravo.

6. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Also, wouldn't have Richard Harrow known something about this, and may have told him ?

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

People on another board I read spotted Joe Harper as Tommy weeks ago, but I'm not buying it. In the show's canon, Tommy should be 12 or 13 like Young Gillian, not 23 like the actor who portrayed him. I'm actually surprised they went with that.

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great ending HBO.

Didn't see that one coming....

Goodbye to a very solid series....

Captain Groovy likes this.
  9. agentalbert

Good point. I'll have to watch the season again to see if they provide any clues. If Tommy really should only be 12 or 13, then that is pretty bad that they used an actor so old

10. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

But didn't they jump ahead some years in between the last few seasons, not just the six between seasons 4 and 5? That would make Tommy older than 12 or 13.

11. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

12. That was my thought....

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

It's over, then? So, when does the blu-ray come out so I can see it??

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

We saw plenty of Tommy in season 4 before Richard's wife took him off to the Midwest and Richard bought it, and he was about 5 or six then. Add the time jump between this season and last and you'd maybe hit 13 tops.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Unlike many of the characters on the show, Nucky Thompson was only loosely based on the real life Nucky Johnson...very loosely.

16. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

All previous Blu-Ray releases of BE were in August, in anticipation of the following season. But since this was the final season and it was shorter, I'd lay even money that S5 and a full boxset get releases in time for Black Friday.

17. agentalbert

There's a nice 30 minute retrospective in available on HBO On Demand that has interviews with many of the cast talking about how they got cast or their favorite scenes.

artfromtex likes this.
  18. AztecChimera

Only "based on". BE tried to stay as true-to-history as possible only with characters who really did exist (mostly the Italian and Jewish mobsters). Nucky, the Commodore, Eddie, Eli, Jimmy, Narcisse, etc., were based on real-life figures with different names and many details were changed (for example the real-life "Eli" had no children rather than nine).

Here's a nice writeup of "real" vs. "based on real" vs. "composite" characters:

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/boardwalkempire.php

Rufus McDufus and Bill Hart like this.
  19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I wish, but that seems a little soon considering there hasn't been an announcement, and HBO probably still wants to air it in re-runs and on-demand for a bit. Still, I hope it's at least sooner than the usual August release date!

20. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Top notch series all the way around. Can't wait for a "Complete Series" box set.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  21. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Nuck get smoked by skeezix.... irony? tricky at that.

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

The kid looked about two when his dad came home from the war (1918). We know that the final was in 1931 cause that was year Capone got convicted of tax evasion. That would make this kid 15-16. A bit of a stretch.

23. AztecChimera

Yes you're probably right. The holiday season always sneaks up on me - Thanksgiving is four weeks from tomorrow!

24. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I felt this last season was basically a throw-away. Not up to the quality of previous seasons and half-assed. That said, there were a couple of excellent BE seasons. Last season was quite good, and the best one, IMO, was season 3 with the Gyp Rosetti character.

25. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Yeah, I did a spit take myself when Bugsy started singing that song! I have a copy of R Crumb singing that on vinyl, but boy, would I LOVE to have an original 78 of Harry Roys' version!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.