Bob Dylan: Bootleg Series Vol 13 Trouble No More -- Pricing & Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I normally splurge on Dylan but you are right. Starting to reconsider. I mean we could actually buy the deluxe and the vinyl and it would be around the same as the deluxe from bobdylan.com Oh what to do??? Be sensible, or just keep my order?

CBackley likes this.
  2. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I get your point but factoring in tax on Amazon and lack thereof on BD (unless you’re in California) the difference is give or take $45 depending where you live in the US.

3. The difference in price between my Amazon.it pre-order and BD.com has risen to £55 (or $72!). Buying the deluxe from Amazon has become a no-brainer.
    I also considered the fact that the box contains a "complete" 1980 and 81 show, so what's not to like about a complete 79 to complete the survey? However, when you (re)consider that 1980 contained TWO tours, the first being the early spring continuation of the '79 'Gospel' tour and the second being the autumn start of the distinctly different 'Musical Retrospective' tour which continued on into '81 (Europe etc), it becomes easier to recognise that there were really only two touring programs and the box contains two key representations of both periods. If you 'need' the 79 show as a completest, you'd also strictly speaking need another show from 1980! And then where do you stop?!! :confused:

hodgo likes this.
  4. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Point taken and I understand where you are coming from :) Personally, I am keen to get a live set from the previous year even though it was the same tour, especially when there are murmurings that it is a great performance. I just hope these murmurings are true :)
    Goodness, 55 quid is a stonkingly big difference, I agree. But I would only do this for Bob material - so a once a year event, considering BS discs usually are released yearly :D

hodgo, SteveM and Jack like this.
  5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

wait, we have to pay for this? I thought Bob was just a simple folk artists who gave away stuff for free, being part of the 'folk continuum' and all...

6. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I'll phone Bob up and check.

He'll probably send me a refund :D

7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

The current lowest price is from ImportCds.com, so you guys should be doing your calculations based on that (currently: $114.60 + 2.99 for shipping in the US). And we still have a month to go.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  8. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

This makes it even worse. Amazon is my typical preferred vendor even if the price is close but now they have tax...

So $185-$118 => $67 for the 2 cds.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  9. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Big Bob fan here, but not a big fan of live recordings (a few exceptions) from almost all of my favorite artists. That said, this is primarily a live set, with the same songs repeated over and over. I can tell from the tracklist that I probably would not listen to most of this after the first few listens. I would rip my favorite tracks for my ever evolving "Bob Dylan favorites" playlist and then shelve the set. On the other hand I was looking for more unreleased studio stuff and was extremely disappointed with what is being released. The price is just way too high for what is being delivered. It's early but the signs are pointing to the fact this set is not going to be a huge seller, and the price will likely fall further. 2 extra CDs of the same songs (live) is no incentive for me, so the BD.com price is outrageous to this huge Dylan fan. Very very disappointed in this set indeed. I'm getting old, just like many Dylan fans, and I hope they step up and speed up the release of what is in the vaults in the next few years. If they wait too long many like myself will never hear the gems still waiting to be released. I suggest more releases (perhaps 2 or 3 per year) as simple single, or double CDs, with no wild expensive packaging (as BS releases). To the Dylan folks: please give me more Bob before I kick the bucket...one release per year is not going to do it for me. And make it affordable.

ted321, keyse1 and Shawn like this.
  10. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

Big Bob fan here.
    And big live Bob fan.
    I’ve no complaints about the 8cds.
    Not even really a complaint that 2cds from 79 are a bonus item.

However, the price difference is becoming unsustainable.

I do have a budget - not an unlimited one.
    I feel like the set is reasonable to retail for $150.

But I am struggling to justify the extra $67 for those 2cds. Even with altruistic feelings about supporting Bob, etc and my mega-fandom!

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I had them hit my card multiple times and tie up my funds as "pending" so be careful

domcasmurro likes this.
  12. domcasmurro

domcasmurro Active Member

Thanks. So far, so good for me. But I'll keep my eyes open

13. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I feel exactly the same way. What are you going to do?

So the only thing which someone mentioned a while back was the mp3 gift we got for ordering the big blue. That was really cool. But what are the chances of that happening again?

I spend a lot of money on fun stuff so it really isn't that it's just that $67 seems a bit steep for 2 CDs (probably in card sleeves). Take my recent Whites stripes Vault purchase, $60 for 3 records, cool box, prints, etc. and the music is amazing! Oh damn, I might be turning.

14. aoxomoxoa

What they do is they hit your card every few days before they ship. Sometimes pending transactions do not fall off before they hit it again. So they don't overcharge you but they can tie up your funds

domcasmurro likes this.
  15. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

I get your point, but I don't think we need any "altruistic feelings about supporting Bob" as you say. Bob is doing OK financially last I heard.

16. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I’m out.

Anyone knows how to cancel the order at bobdylan.com?

CBackley and hodgo like this.
  17. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

We are getting back into TTS Disc 3 territory now. Sad to see. Totally unnecessary.

hodgo, Carserguev and SteveM like this.
  18. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

That’s a little dramatic. It’s pretty typical for a Bullmoose or importcd (or non-US Amazon at least temporarily) to have a much lower price than the the artist’s official site. Up to you how much San Diego is worth, but it doesn’t mean the official site is pulling a TTS. $16 per disc is nowhere near $43.

19. highway

highway Forum Resident

The general sentiment in this thread lately gets tiresome. I really don't understand. We are all free to choose. Dylan is free to sell. In fact he would be free to sell at a thousand dollars or one dollar. But he (or his people) chose this package at this price point. That was done in part to preserve/burnish Dylan's legacy and in part to make money.

20. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

...and people are giving their thoughts and opinions in this thread about the price/values of the various packages, which is the intent of this forum/thread. Am I missing something? If you are tired of the "sentiment" of the thread...well

21. ^^^:righton:

CBackley likes this.
  22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

23. aoxomoxoa

Secured my set for $114 from Import CDs. I would love to have the bonus discs but not at those prices.

24. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Well, at BD.com we are closing in on 1800 sets (3200 still for sale) at this point. Just wondering if these sales of this Bonus set seem to be in line (in a similar time frame) with previous BS (deluxe) editions at a similar point in time as this new BS 13 Deluxe edition? Any followers of previous BS releases please chime in. Thanks

25. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

There really isn't any precedent. Cutting Edge was a limited edition $600 box. No other BS has had exclusive content only available from bd.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.