Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got mine. A bit cheeky that the ‘previously unreleased’ track is just from the new set, but welcome nonetheless.

2. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

The performance on Biograph is Take 2 (Remake) from 17 September.

The solo performance on the Uncut sampler is Take 2 from 16 September. It is the 4th track on the single CD and is the 4th track on the 6CD set.

#

RayS likes this.
  3. Percy Song

Well, it is previously unreleased.

jlf and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  4. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Thanks.

Natural E likes this.
  5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I think Joan Baez has a fantastic voice, the antithesis of Dylan's in some ways. And I think Dylan appreciated it too, or he wouldn't have done all those duets.

Concerning the relationship, it was obviously complex on both sides and hurtful at times for Baez. Taking sides or trivialising it here strikes me as in poor taste.

I've heard her Dylan voice in concert; it struck me as affectionate rather than mocking, maybe it varied. But I love Any Day Now and her Dylan covers in general.

Let's also note that there are folk out there who much prefer the Baez covers to the originals.

Tim

Taxman, pcox80, jimbo3688 and 4 others like this.
  6. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I think Joan Baez had -- still has, no doubt -- a beautiful voice. I love her singing. I especially love the early folk albums she did, before meeting Dylan. The two In Concert albums and the three studio albums. Right up through the Noel and Farewell Angelina albums she's in fine form. But then the relationship with Dylan destabilizes her. Her music and her judgment suffer. Her Dylan covers don't interest me much, but her singing of traditional folk songs does. Those early albums made her a folk music star and are still absolutely beautiful.

On thing I did not like was how the Dylan entourage would bait and make fun of her, especially Bob Neuwirth. Neuwirth would belittle her in front of Dylan and he would say nothing to stop it. Or so it seems.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    JohnKale, vivresavie, eeglug and 3 others like this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

she sounds really nice here doing St Augustine and does the Dylan voice on It Aint Me Babe (16 year old Randy Scruggs on guitar)

Claudio Dirani and pcox80 like this.
  8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I was just about to respond but I see Percy Song has it covered below.

The new one is from (I assume) a few minutes after "... Say Hello" from BS1-3 and the one that was made available as a preview track.

voles likes this.
  9. voles

voles Forum Lurker

IT's in the post - something to keep me going at least.

HominyRhodes and RayS like this.
  10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

This one is solo acoustic.

11. Percy Song

"Acoustico".....

....and truly wonderful! As note previously, just listen to the way he sings, "It's the price I have to pay..."

(Some might say he has a cold; I say he's expressing pain and resignation...)

HominyRhodes and IronWaffle like this.
  12. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Could this also be a reference to, er, Emperor Penguin Burlesque?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    asdf35 likes this.
  13. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Seems like a lot of studio comments have been left in the box set judging from the review in ‘Uncut’.

Also reveals that the title “More Blood, More Tracks” came from Bob Dylan himself.

14. What rating does the deluxe set get or is the review for the 'main catalogue release' ie. single CD?

15. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I cannot understand the hostility toward Joan on this thread. We don't all have to love her music, but I think she deserves more respect as an artist in her own right and an important part of Dylan's life and artistry. She's been a bad*ss since '59.

eeglug, mannys, jimbo3688 and 9 others like this.
  16. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I just picked up a copy of Uncut. This take 2 is really great. No reverb on the vocal, very dry. Just voice, guitar and harmonica.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

As an artist, I love Joan and have all of her work on both CD and original LPs, seen her many times, and have a huge collection of her live and TV appearances. What I cannot understand is her public display of hostility toward Dylan, and public sarcasm directed at him. I don't recall the concert dates, but in several concerts she challenged whether he really wrote many of his songs as she was about to perform them. Again, she did it with a mocking tone of voice. I have no hostility toward her, I just have a hard time understanding why an artist would show this hostility in public, even 50 years after their affair.

enro99 likes this.
  18. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

One could argue that the way she's treated in Dont Look Back is a completely reasonable catalyst for a lifetime of bitterness. I can't imagine how "used" she felt during that whole ordeal.

JohnKale, IronWaffle and SteveM like this.
  19. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

It’s the box set that gets reviewed - I don’t have it on hand but it’s very positive in general.

They complain that the 1cd isn’t a 2cd and why the hell do you want to hear 7 takes of the same song...oh wait, sorry, that was the Internet...

20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

That’s what having a cold does for you...

Percy Song likes this.
  21. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

I dont know what her Dylan hang up was all about. Its not like they were ever going to be married.
    Like a friend of mine who once danced with her at a charity event said: 'she likes to lead'.

22. SomeLocalLoser

SomeLocalLoser Well-Known Member

Can anyone who has the unreleased You’re A Big Girl Now from Uncut magazine upload the song? Would that be possible? Would really appreciate it!

SteveM likes this.
  23. Percy Song

Unfortunately, it's copyrighted so we would be in BIG trouble. Imagine him playing and singing "You're a Big Girl Now" like he plays and sings the first preview track, "If You See Her, Say Hello", and it gives you a pretty good idea how brilliant it is and how much you need this box.

HominyRhodes and RayS like this.
  24. Percy Song

Not rubbing it in, by the way, but here is the Uncut disc:-

[​IMG]

#

shadow blaster, JohnKale, jlf and 6 others like this.
  25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Perfectly stated.