Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

In which case you're just as overwhelmed as the rest of us!

You might consider playing the set on an MP3 player set to random. It'll prevent you from thinking analytically - at least it does for me - and let you simply enjoy each piece of music there in the moment.

(That's easy enough for me to say, as I've listened to the elephant all the way through more than once. But I still think it's a great way to enjoy the set.)

BeenAround likes this.
  2. BeenAround

BeenAround Forum Resident

Good point, that's the other issue: randomize or not? I think at first I want to hear it straight through, in order. Then revisit as I will.

I need to stop posting about it and just do it already. Thanks y'all! Actually looking forward to all the Destination Rows n stuff.

3. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

And further from ISIS:

Access All Areas (A Kinda Blog) | Bob Dylan ISIS Magazine »

jdw and Tuck1977 like this.
  4. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I feel a storm coming & its gonna be a good one.

From ISIS - today
    Those of you who have pre-ordered the new Route Publishing version of Clinton Heylin’s “Judas!: From Forest Hills To The Free Trade Hall: A Historical View Of The Big Boo” will be pleased to know that we now have a confirmed publication date of October 21, 2016. At 320 pages, this is one book that no Dylan fan will want to miss. A great companion to the upcoming Sony 1966 big box live release.

budwhite and zobalob like this.
  5. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

I decided that in anticipation of this years upcoming BS I'd go through last years straight through. I have listened to everything on it a couple times already but never a dedicated chronological listen. I'm on the BIABH sessions now. Anyone else doing anything in preparation of it? I remember how great it was to go through the early Dylan catalog before last years release. So much fun. I'm really thankful that we have an artist like Dylan who has made so much great music and has allowed us to hear his creative process time and time again. Bring on Live '66.

6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm going through the whole thing at work this week. About a quarter of the way through the BoB sessions.

7. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

+1

8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Slightly off-topic, but isn't this the time of the year when a new volume of The Bootleg Series is announced.
    Has anyone heard anything?

9. Mitchum

Read the last 5 pages or so of this thread:

Bob Dylan: Bootleg Series Vol. 13 »

10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

11. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Well if you get to listen to tons of Dylan at work that sounds like job worth hanging on to, any vacancies.

JoeF. likes this.
  12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

It's a pretty crappy job otherwise. It just so happens, though, that I'm involved in some pretty computer-intensive work right now that keeps me at the desk most of the day. Great if I want to play some music.

I'm probably not giving the music the attention that it deserves this way, but it's certainly better than trying to subject my wife and three kids to this at the house.

Tuck1977 and JoeF. like this.
  13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

The Cutting Edge material is probably my favorite archival release ever by anyone. There is literally enough great music on this set to explore, discover and savor for a lifetime. I took my time with it, listening to each disc in order over a span of about six months. I could probably do the same thing for the rest of my life and it would still seem like a new experience every time.

Lewisboogie, Cake, AJK74 and 3 others like this.
  14. Eduardo Denaro

I'm going through disc 2/18 today. The tension between Bob and Tom Wilson is uncomfortable. I'm becoming more and more thankful that BIABH was ever finished. I may have just fired him in the middle of the session and started over. This has been discussed earlier in the thread at length but the producer really didn't do much good for Bob here. I don't like hearing the banter between these two. Makes me feel quite uncomfortable. Anyone else think about their relationship/chemistry when going through the BIABH sessions?

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

On the whole I find them to be equally rude to, and dismissive of, each other. It certainly was not a nurturing environment for an artist, especially one as idiosyncratic as Dylan. On the other hand, if I were Wilson, I likely would have told Bob what to do with his snappy comebacks, yelling, and impromptu song titles.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    DeeThomaz, IronWaffle and mrjinks like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

In my heyday of all things Bob I would have been held up in my room with the lights off each night savoring each thought process of Dylan's as best I could. My quest back then in understanding Dylan was to become a better songwriter. Nothing would have felt pressuring or anxious. Or as a chore. It would have been as if I had the keys to the chocolate factory and my name was Charlie.

BeenAround likes this.
  17. Eduardo Denaro

Yeah I can see that side too. Definitely not the easiest of artists to work with I'm sure. And he wasn't the cultural icon he was to become at that point and Tom may have thought, "Why is this punk kid messing with my mind and telling me how to do my job?" Or maybe he secretly was a hardcore folk junkie who couldn't himself handle that Dylan was going electric. Remember, he produced his past three albums. Just now looking at his discography and I can say that he had a good post-Dylan career.

18. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

There definitely was tension, but Dylan had tons of respect for Tom Wilson. I know for sure because I'm friend's with Tom's daughter Darien Wilson and she told me that Dylan was crying at his funeral service back in 1978.
    Tension can be good.

ralphk likes this.
  19. bp-plickner

bp-plickner Well-Known Member

I was recording a Beatles BC-13 box that I picked up last week, which I am liking a lot when the dog started barking because the mailman was here with my new Collectors edition from Amazon! Crazy USPS Sunday delivery. It is 2765 of 5000. The opening flap is on the bottom? May be I should send it back....

I have no idea if I will be notified of the digital down load. Hope I will
    Time will tell

joannenugent and Mitchum like this.
  20. Mitchum

Seems like it was some left over copies like we thought...

Congrats.

21. bp-plickner

It would be cool if the downloads are included

22. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Okay, I'm a little late to the download party & I know this has been discussed but... can someone tell me the total file size for the hi-rez Cutting Edge download? I need to plan ahead before I activate the download manager.
    Little help here? Thanks.

23. bp-plickner

Did you get a new copy and a download link?

24. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

Nope, just very, very slow to download. It's been a busy year.

25. bp-plickner

Cool

About 22 GB in the download for flac I think

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    IbMePdErRoIoAmL likes this.