Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I probably could have gotten by with the 6-CD set, but I decided that I couldn't live without having every take of "She's Your Lover Now." No regrets.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thats inner'esting.

Any other similar revelations on other songs?

3. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

After purchasing big blue, getting whipped by the import taxes, finding a disc was missing (!), requesting said missing disc, receiving missing disc, getting whipped by the import taxes again (!!!) arguing the toss with Sony - who apologised and paid the taxes for me, the excitement of big blue was sadly robbed from me somewhat...
    Fast forward to July this year and I was ready for it. I properly immersed myself and devoured it too! I even played the singles (Some are quite short aren't they?) Took it a disc at a time, imported it into iTunes, made playlists of the original albums with the new mixes, playlists of the two disc version, playlists of my favourite most listened to tracks, playlists of alternate versions of the three albums and of course, poured over the books. It was a quite an experience and now I'm finally glad and at peace with myself that I took the plunge! Apologies for the list type post.
    P.S. As an aside, I ordered the Bootleg Series Volume 13 from good old Amazon, foregoing the extra two disc concert, just in case of any difficulties. Just sayin'...

4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

You also get every take of its half-sibling One Of Us Must Know as a bonus...

Percy Song, Sean Murdock, dee and 2 others like this.
  5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

But we didn't get the Sales Message for the record convention that Dylan recorded in London on May 12, with a partial "If You Gotta Go, Go Now." It's quite amusing, actually.

6. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

These are the highlights of the set for me. It's fascinating to hear the development and separate tracks for my most favorite Dylan song.

zobalob, rihajarvi and NumberEight like this.
  7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Me too.

8. This is true... I had a moan on another thread about the upcoming Blood On The Tracks edition of The Bootleg Series. I mean, crikey, how much more of this are they gonna throw at us? I shouldn't complain, Another Self-Portrait and The Complete Basement Tapes were sensational additions to the Bootleg Series in my book. I bought the six CD Cutting Edge and the three album vinyl version, and despite occasional highlights, I confess I found it slightly under-whelming and much prefer the original versions of these songs on the hallowed electric trilogy. I may feel the same about the next edition, but I'll doubtless buy it.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. If someone delivered this to my house by accident I'd do everything I could to despatch it to its rightful owner too.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  10. Richard--W

No, you shouldn't complain. It is not a question of how long or how many archive releases there will be. These archival releases are much anticipated and cherished by music listeners everywhere. Each release is a significant event because of the position Dylan occupies in culture and music. I hope these comprehensive box-sets keep coming, two per year for as many years as I've got left.

I just saw several copies of the 6-CD box for sale on ebay in the $55-70 price range, in case anyone hasn't caught up with it yet or needs a backup copy to back up their backup copy.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Dave Hoos, Willie McTell and dee like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I believe in triple back-ups, mostly because one should never be without a backup. If your primary goes bad, you need two in storage just to meet my requirement at all times

12. Richard--W

See what I mean?
    It's nice to be understood for a change.

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Why not just download it on the hard drive of your computer as a back-up?

14. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I really don’t think he says “Sara”. It’s a lyric flub that sounds a little like it but after a few listens to me it’s clearly not it. It’s a good story that it was intended or possibly Freudian. I think there’s some discussion about this in one of these 570+ pages.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You should listen more closely. I don't remember the verse, but it is very distinct.

Archtop likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That qualifies, but you need to have a backup of that hard drive, and then make another clone of the hard drive to store at a friend's house (preferably gift it to him)

Dave Hoos, Willie McTell and Bill like this.
  17. Richard--W

A friend's house? Not likely. Friends can be seduced by the music and start listening to it, wearing out the backup. No friend is entirely incorruptible, not even if you're married to her. No, the backup of your backup hard-drive should be stored in your safety-deposit box at the bank. That means you won't be able to get to it quickly if there's an immediate need, but you'll have the comfort of knowing it's there. Be sure you have extra keys made to the safety deposit box, just in case, and keep them in different places as well as on at least two different key rings.

Additionally, you will need to back up the hard media with more hard media backup because digital-realm files may not be archival safe after all. The hard media could conceivably outlast digital realm.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This is where I start relying on my memory of music rather than listening to it!

19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I brought it up shortly after I got BB so, some ~300 pages back +/-. Sad-Eyed is one of those go-to tracks for me. I very distinctly hear "Sara, should I..." (and I listened again just now with an ear/mind toward potential bias on my part).
    Take 1, 5:50; at the end of the kings of Tyrus verse.

Now @matt79rome89, I'll grant you this possibility: if you listen to the analogous section of the following verse (the farmers/businessmen verse), Bob screws up the line and instead of singing "Should I..." he starts singing (it sure sounds like) "sad-eyed..." (at 7:43 of Take 1) and then corrects himself. But there's a difference between the two: in the third verse (where I feel he sings "Sara") he does not draw out the "Saaaa" (he distinctly sings Sara with a short first "a") but he very clearly draws out the "Saaaa" in the fourth verse as if he means to sing "sad-eyed..." instead of "should I..." Thus, he's singing two different things at the end of verses 3 and 4.

Anyway, why don't we just ask him? :nyah: :uhhuh::crazy:

HominyRhodes, Percy Song and Tribute like this.
  20. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

To me he’s clearly getting ready to say “sad eyed” and quickly corrects to “should I leave them at your gate”, before then immediately following it with the correct “sad eyed”.

streetlegal and Archtop like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It is distinct, not a guess.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I'm sure he'll give us a straight answer.

Archtop likes this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well what we have here is a difference in opinion. :tiphat:

He quickly corrects from "saaaa" to “should I leave them at your gate” at the end of the fourth verse, but at the end of the previous verse, he clearly sings "Sara, should I leave them at your gate." Not to push you, but your description above sounds exactly like what I'm hearing at the end of the fourth verse, but not the third of Take 1.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

agreed

Archtop likes this.
  25. Richard--W

"Sara" is said quite clearly. There is no doubt.

Archtop likes this.