Bob Dylan: Complete Album Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.bobdylanisis.com/contents/en-uk/d19.html

This long talked about retrospective release of Dylan’s entire catalogue was first mentioned by ISIS in issue 168 (p9) when we talked about Clinton Heylin being commissioned to write the liner notes.

“Bob Dylan: The Complete Album Collection” will contain all “41” of Dylan’s albums, including 14 which are said to be “newly remastered”. The CDs, which will feature all the original artwork and will be presented in card digipak sleeves, will be housed in a large red box with a black and white image of Dylan. Also included will be a 2-CD compilation of previously released songs that were not featured on the original albums. The package will contain a hardcover booklet with what are said to be extensive new liner notes and rare photographs.

We had originally heard that this collection might be available as early as September 2013, but certainly in time for the Christmas market. Although a firm release date has still not been decided, we are told the box will appear in “Fall 2013”.

2. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

Omg!!! I anticipated this after the Tony Bennett set but didn't expect to see it so soon!! With this and the Beatles mono vinyl set hopefully coming out before Christmas I am gonna be broke but happy :)

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Ruh-roh.... :shake:

kozy814 and Carserguev like this.
  4. DeeThomaz

Any guesses as to what albums it will encompass?

"41 Albums", if my hasty math is right, includes all of his studio albums (including 1973's Dylan), and his live albums up to Unplugged, but not the 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration. Do I have that right? Clearly compilations and Bootleg Series titles are excluded.

5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Geez, after all the gold discs and mono CDs we gotta shell out for the entire catalog again? I think I'll pass and hope for individual releases with the newly remastered titles and the double-disc set of songs which didn't fit on the albums.

PhantomStranger and IronWaffle like this.
  6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So is this finally going to be released?
    This was talked on the forum earlier few years ago or something as someone had gotten some info and even website claimed that such box was being planned.
    But then the source-website pulled the info back or something..
    I couldnt find that topic again about massive Bob Dylan boxset, but it was mentioned somewhere where we talked about Mono box or some Bootleg-series-release (cant remember).

Have to wait and see how this one goes, depending on the mastering and price (which will be high most likely), I might be in for this maybe.
    I havent even got all of his studio-albums, live-albums or bootleg-series releases yet.
    But also, Im not in hurry of getting them all at same time..so getting yet newly remastered single album-issues would be the best for me.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  7. DeeThomaz

Which also seems to correspond to the "14 remastered albums" claim if it includes the unremastered albums prior to Time Out Of Mind and include the unremastered lives albums. Again, realistically, my math could be faulty here.

8. DeeThomaz

Now we have the fun of compiling speculative 2CD sets of non-LP tracks!

IronWaffle and Peter_R like this.
  9. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Another question: Will the sixties catalog on this box merely be the same remixes which are currently available? My guess is yes, seeing as there's only fourteen new remasters.

10. DeeThomaz

How many people are going to buy this just to get Dylan (1973) and/or "Band of the Hand?"

11. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

+1

How much is this going to cost? And what are the chances that there are going to be some tracks which are only available here?

12. DeeThomaz

Who would have thought that on the first full day that the NPR stream of 15 Another Self Portrait tracks that another Dylan release would be the most buzzed about topic? Either Sony/Dylan's publicity people are very good or very bad.

13. DeeThomaz

The Johnny Cash set has a suggested retail of $330, but can currently be had at Amazon for around $150. It has more discs than the Dylan set (though it's hard to say how many as the ISIS report just referred to the amount of albums), so I'd imagine that the Dylan set will have a somewhat cheaper list price.

14. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

So, if I spring for the Deluxe Another Self-Portrait to get a remastered version of Self-Portrait, I get to have another remastered copy of Self-Portrait a few weeks later?

Argh, first world problems.

15. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I hope the ones not rerelrased individually yet will be. Too much music we already have on a 41 box!

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Judging by past Sony boxes like this, that probably won't happen.

17. DeeThomaz

Trying to wrap my mind around the concept that Clinton Heylin is writing the liner notes. This is, after all, the man who singled out Jeff Rosen for an unusual "non-dedication" in the pages of his Recording Sessions book. Though, truthfully, it seemed like there were signs that he had reconciled with the Dylan folks (after all, they let him hear tracks that were considered for Tell Tale Signs, which was a boon for his "Still on the Road" book).

Could this signal a rapprochement that could make my dream of a definitive "Recording Sessions" second edition come true?

18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Can't wait to read Heylin's one word "liner notes" for "Down in the Groove" - "execrable". Can he really tone down his act long enough to write an effective set of notes for an album he doesn't personally LIKE?

Can't say I have much interest in buying "Highway 61 Revisited" for the 10th time.

19. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I think you're right. I just hope you're not ;) Let' wait and see.

20. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

After my initial burst of excitement, and a change of underwear, practical issues come to mind. I have all the material x 2, probably got most if not all the bonus tracks, do I really spring for it all again? And where would you put future releases if you want everything neat and tidy? :s

Carserguev and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I had to stand up when I read about this just now because of the sobbing sound my wallet was making in my back pocket.

22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

The Elvis "Complete Masters" set has only 30 discs but the £600 price tag this side of the pond is ridiculous.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  23. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dylan-bootleg-series-10-possible-massive-outtake-dump.238235/

SammyJoe likes this.
  24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The sky's the limit on how much this might cost. If they price this for volume I may well be in, but I strongly suspect that the temptation to "leverage" dedicated fans is going to see this set sail well past the $500 price point.

25. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

That's how I get to 41.

1. Bob Dylan
    2. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    3. The Times They Are A-Changin'
    4. Another Side of Bob Dylan
    5. Bringing It All Back Home
    6. Highway 61 Revisited
    7. Blonde on Blonde
    8. John Wesley Harding
    9. Nashville Skyline
    10. Self Portrait
    11. New Morning
    12. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
    13. Dylan
    14. Planet Waves
    15. Before the Flood
    16. Blood on the Tracks
    17. The Basement Tapes
    18. Desire
    19. Hard Rain
    20. Street Legal
    21. Bob Dylan at Budokan
    22. Slow Train Coming
    23. Saved
    24. Shot of Love
    25. Infidels
    26. Real Live
    27. Empire Burlesque
    28. Knocked Out Loaded
    29. Down in the Groove
    30. Dylan and the Dead
    31. Oh Mercy
    32. Under the Red Sky
    33. Good As I Been to You
    34. World Gone Wrong
    35. MTV Unplugged
    36. Time Out of Mind
    37. Love and Theft
    38. Modern Times
    39. Together Through Life
    40. Christmas in the Heart
    41. Tempest

art l a, CDmp3, Izozeles and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.