Bob Dylan Listening Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 16, 2017.

1. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Recently obtained the Carolyn Hester album from 1962, and played it for the first time.
    Hester is accompanied by Bruce Langhorne on guitar and Bill Lee on bass; Dylan contributes harmonica on three tracks.

I was somewhat disappointed. Dylan's contribution was ordinary, and I found Hester not to be in the same league as Joan Baez's first albums. I was expecting more, maybe I will be more appreciative after a few listens.

[​IMG]

JRM likes this.
  2. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

JRM likes this.
  3. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

World Gone Wrong
    [​IMG]

Rickchick, rmath84, Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Nothing disappointing about that cover, though! :love:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

My first Dylan show was from that tour at Cobo Hall in Detroit!

JRM and stewedandkeefed like this.
  7. majorlance

Listening mostly to Triplicate over the past few days, trying to condense its 95+ minutes to a single 80-minute CDR for the car.

While there are some definite winners (The Best Is Yet to Come, Once Upon a Time), so much of it falls in the fair-to-middling category that I'm not finding any obvious candidates for the 5 or so songs I'd need to cut. Thoughts?

JRM likes this.
  8. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I was there. Michigan is one of four states I have seen Bob over ten times in.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  9. majorlance

Slow day here...my "Bob by State" totals appear to be:

PA – 26x
    NJ – 16x
    NY – 4x
    DE – 2x
    MD – 1x
    VA – 1x

Rickchick, JRM and stewedandkeefed like this.
  10. jdw

jdw Senior Member

RE: this "Solid Rock" pro-shot clip:

Does anyone know the date of this live clip? Any info on other video from this date would be appreciated, also.

11. stewedandkeefed

I'm done work and I was counting my MI shows. It's 19. Now I'll probably have to figure out PA because that's another 10 plus state.

12. stewedandkeefed

Toronto 4/20/80. Mostly complete video of that show in circulation and recently upgraded.

JRM likes this.
  13. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Thank you, Stewed

14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

On the turntable:
    [​IMG]

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

Incredible early live Dylan.

Siegmund, Jackie P, Rickchick and 5 others like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

On the turntable:
    [​IMG]

17. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Listened to a lot of Bob at the weekend. Bootleg series, 10, 7 and 8…a bit of Freewheelin' and a smidgen of Tempest. All in anticipation of getting the 6 CD Cutting edge this week (had the 2 CD for a while but need more!)

JRM likes this.
  18. JRM

Listening to side two...

"The album's second side doesn't match the intensity of the first, but still amounts to top-notch Dylan. In 'Emotionally Yours,' he again treads the path of the resolute lover. That same path is clung to in 'Something's Burning, Baby,' where he says, "I believe in the impossible, you know that I do."

The piece de resistance, 'Dark Eyes,' comes last. Conjuring campfires and twilight tristesse, it is the first unaccompanied folk song he's done since 'Wedding Song' from 1974's Planet Waves. It serves as almost a summary of the album, signaling a recommitment to love and hope." - Boston Globe, 6/7/85

[​IMG]

DavidD, Rickchick, baconbadge and 2 others like this.
  19. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Another Self Portrait, second CD. I thought I would change it up a little from Triplicate. I think this is a really satisfying Bootleg Series entry--less unweildy than Complete Basement Tapes and Cutting Edge--particularly viz-a-viz the former, I feel some of the "scrappier" entries actually take away a little from the whole experience.

My only real critique of ASP is that it should have included the B-side "Spanish is the Loving Tongue" on CD2.

JRM and Sean like this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Absolutly love Shelter From The Storm. Dylan snarls the lyrics. He plays such emotional wacked out slide guitar. Mick Ronson is in excellent guitar form on this and Rob Stoners bass just drives it.

To bad they don't release TVTV special of the Fort Collins, CO show on DVD. While their at it give us a good copy ot the first rejected special and Renaldo & Clara with more concert footage as a bonus.

Rickchick and JRM like this.
  21. JRM

Listening to Another Side of Bob Dylan from the mono CD box...

"There aren’t any finger-pointing songs in here, either. Those records I’ve already made, I’ll stand behind them, but some of that was jumping into the scene to be heard and a lot of it was because I didn’t see anybody else doing that kind of thing. Now a lot of people are doing finger-pointing songs. You know - pointing to all the things that are wrong. Me, I don’t want to write for people anymore. You know—be a spokesman." [The New Yorker, 10/24/64]

[​IMG]

Adam9, Rickchick and psychtrailmix like this.
  22. JRM

Thanks! Wow.

(Bob starts at 18:05)

Spadeygrove likes this.
  23. majorlance

Wow is right!

Is that Carolyn Dennis in the white jacket?

24. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Slow afternoon here at work so here's my stats for being in the presence of His Bobness (I may have forgotten a couple though):
    WV - 6x
    VA - 1x
    D.C. - 1x
    OH - 9x
    TN - 1x

JRM likes this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'll play:

MA - 1x
    NJ - 3x
    RI - 1x
    VT - 1x
    DC - 1x
    CA - 15x
    Spain - 2x

Most recent listens, other than a track here and there on shuffle, rarely if ever a day goes by without at least a couple Dylan songs, were a first listen to Fallen Angels (liked it better than Shadows in the Night), and first disc of Triplicate (didn't like quite as much as Fallen Angels). I bought Fallen Angels on release and wasn't that enthusiastic about it, didn't get around to it until when Triplicate arrived, and figured I better listen before starting Triplicate. Planning to get around to the other 2 discs soon.

JRM and Spadeygrove like this.