Bob Dylan Listening Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 16, 2017.

1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Interesting. Is there a definitive, complete list of non-album tracks?

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

3. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Well I'm sure there is. Mine is not definitive though, just what I could find on Spotify, BS releases and a few others.

4. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

His version of When He Returns from this show is so beautiful. He really lays it on the line.

I believe something from the gospel years is what the next bootleg series is rumored to be, no?

JRM likes this.
  5. NightGoatToCairo

Before The Flood:
    Listened twice, so early days. Not that bothered about The Band standalone performances; not keen on the songs or the vocalists :hide:.
    BTF is a little easier on the ears than Hard Rain. The arrangements seem rushed and changed out of sheer boredom for the originals but there is still an energy there, if that makes sense? I'm open to experimenting with live arrangements but for now prefer the '66 shows for the more faithful approach.
    A premature 3/5

JRM likes this.
  6. NightGoatToCairo

Good As I Been To You:
    2nd listen today. Very similar to World Gone Wrong but maybe a bit more playful? I think I preferred World Go Wrong more at this early stage but GAIBTY may be a grower?

Rickchick and JRM like this.
  7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

I think GAIBTY is better overall, but you can't beat WGW's 'Lone Pilgrim'.

Sordel, JRM and majorlance like this.
  8. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Cutting Edge (Deluxe).

This collection exceeds what I thought it could be, given that mid-sixties Bob was not necessarily my favourite. More than any other of the Bootleg Series, the rehearsals and alternate takes add a whole other dimension--they create a new kind of listening experience. It's not just because some of the out-takes are superb in themselves, it's that listening to the "drafts" just adds to the whole experience.

9. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

Everything A to Z....daily listen here.

"I need a steam shovel, mama, to keep away the dead"

Rickchick and JRM like this.
  10. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I have been listening to a truly remarkable ROIO show in Slovenia from 4.28.99.
    One of the very best live gigs in many years... everything is perfect.
    If you can get your hands on it, do it asap.

mrogers, JRM and Spadeygrove like this.
  11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

The Best of The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 12

1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]

JRM, Rickchick, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  12. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I hope when they release this on video they include the Clearwater show. Such a difference. I always thought Bob insisted on re-recording the show because he was too nice to Joan Baez in Clearwater.

My absolute favorite version is from the Warehouse in New Orleans on May 3 but this one is close.

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Bob Dylan: The Recording Sessions - Part Three

Not a whole lot of unreleased music apart from alternative takes, which is why I'm in the minority of those who are fairly non-enthusiastic about the potential for a Blood on the Tracks Bootleg Series extravaganza.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  14. NightGoatToCairo

15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

You're insatiable!

:wave:

Sorry, Part 2 of that sessionography list appears to omit the Basement Tapes sessions, and I don't know a lot about the minutae of those recordings.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Was playing last night. US original stereo vinyl of John Wesley Harding

Got into a internet rabbit hole reading about the album, the lyrics and the meaning behind them, what is biblical and what is auto biographical.

Sure is a deep record that on first listen seemed so economical in production and lyrics.

[​IMG]

Adam9, hyde park, Spadeygrove and 2 others like this.
  17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yesterday I played New Morning (MoFi SACD) and Planet Waves (Sony SACD).

JRM likes this.
  18. NightGoatToCairo

I'm surprised nobody has responded with a definitive answer. We need to cherish the experts that contribute on this forum. Now where is he/she?

19. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Reading Robbie Robertson's autobiography prompted me to buy the MOFI sacd of BEFORE THE FLOOD. That was my intro to Dylan back in my middle school years when the music teacher used it in a lesson on live music (she also used the album cover to show us how some people 'Flick Their Bics' to show appreciation at a concert). It was the 70s: teachers did stuff like that back then. Anyway, the sacd sounds great and it reminded me of what it felt like to hear Dylan for the first time.

Tropehjelm and JRM like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Of late I've been obsessed with John Wesley Harding. I've been listening to both the mono and stereo Mobile Fidelity SACDs and have the Columbia stereo SACD in the car.

It just has such a unique and mellow vibe, and the storytelling in the lyrics was new and still fascinates me. The buildup and flow of the album from the mysterious to the mundane fascinates me to. Just love this darn thing. I didn't experience it when the record was new. I came in to Dylan oddly enough with Self Portrait and then Planet Waves and Blood on the Tracks and Desire. . . then fell out of listening to him after bits of Slow Train just seemed so tacky (God gave names to all the animals, really?) and drifted away from Dylan for a few decades. This century though I've been back and swimming around in all the albums.

21. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The music is austere yet the atmosphere is heavy in John Wesley Harding.

JRM and Lonson like this.
  22. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Now on the turntable:
    Bob Dylan - Pure Dylan (2011) - 2016 vinyl reissue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No Static, JRM, Lonson and 1 other person like this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Celebrating the birthday boy by playing the first title of Bob's I ever purchased.

[​IMG]

24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Listening to now. Going to be a Bob day.

[​IMG]

25. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I love The Times They Are A-Changin'. That's a top 10 Dylan album for me. Years ago when I used to read a ton of online music reviews, people were constantly trashing this record and saying it was just a bleak protest album after the brilliance of Freewheelin'. Never understood that. Amazing songs and I love the flat voice he uses on this record. My favorites are "Boots of Spanish Leather" and "North Country Blues" (interestingly--in both, Bob writes at least partially from the perspective of a female).

I will play this one when I get home to celebrate Bob's birthday.

Crispy Rob and malcolm reynolds like this.