Bob Dylan – Live 1962–1966: Rare Performances from the Copyright Collections [2018 2-CD release] *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joannenugent, Jun 2, 2018.

1. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Not sure it accomplishes that, but okay!

2. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future!

I ordered from cdJapan before the domestic release was announced. Ehhhh... I never spring for Japanese imports and, what the heck, who doesn't need another copy of that LARS recording? Plus, I've never gotten a Blue Spec II (or whatever it's called) snake oil release before, so now I can say I've done that and lived a full and rich life.

Looking forward to this. I've been trawling through 60s Bob again lately so this syncs quite nicely.

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I think Ray's answer nailed it. Personally, I just find it interesting that this is the first mainstream acknowledgement that the Copyright Extension series even exists, after five years of Sony and Bob Inc. doing everything to NOT draw attention to it. (For example, not using the title on the Live 1966 box.) To me, it bodes well for future official product drawn from the 2012-2015 "secret" releases.

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Then why not just call it a bootleg series ?

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

A) Because it is not to the standard of that series.
    B) Because “Bootleg Series” is now more mainstream.

JohnKale, Sean Murdock and IronWaffle like this.
  6. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have been finding EU public domain live releases on cd at Fry's Electronics recently. Finjan Club was one of them.
    My Finjan is not bad for what was probably a a primitive recording setup.

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Not sure if I agree. The standard of the BS has been across the board. We’ve had poor sound on tracks before (see basement tapes, whitmark demos) and we have had mixed Years and performances.
    The very first bootleg series was very mainstream from what I remember. So being “more”mainstream now doesn’t make sense to me.

8. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Cancelled my CD japan order. No problem there. I can live without a fourth installation of the Manchester LARS....

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm not talking about the distribution or promotion of the 1st (three) Bootleg Series. I'm talking about the cachet associated with the name, and the "daring" for a big record company to even use the term. Obviously that's worn off over 27 years and more than a dozen releases.

Or see no validity in my argument at all, it's all good. :)

aoxomoxoa and IronWaffle like this.
  10. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

11. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

That's the one for us Brits! Independent bricks-and-mortar shop, purveyors of the original copyright collections. Free postage! It was here in November 2016, during the launch, er, party for The 1966 Live Recordings (and Clinton's "Judas" book), that he let the dog see the rabbit and announced quietly that BS 13 would be the gospel years. Hats off to Phil and the team!

Badlands Bob Dylan Day

12. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Wiled away many an afternoon there, back in the day, rifling through their collection of "import" CDs!

13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'll order it from cdjapan.

Perhaps this set hints at more to come, who knows.

14. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

15. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

16. Dave Gilmour's Cat

In what sense are these tracks “rare”?

17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

In the sense that most Dylan fans do not own the original copyright sets, and, unless they have downloaded the material unofficially, they probably will not have heard most of the performances.

Sean Murdock, George P and Daveymoore like this.
  18. I've already got the Live '66 box, Don't Look Back (Criterion Blu-ray), Town Hall & Carnegie Hall '63 complete (vinyl), 1964 "50th Anniversary Copyright Extension" (9LP set). Do I really need this?

19. stepeanut

Depends if you see the 1963-1965 material as an upgrade from the original vinyl and MP3 sets. I do, especially in the case of the 1965 material.

20. Well, I haven't got any "MP3 sets" so I'm not sure what that applies to really? The vinyl all sounds very good - about as good as I'd expect it to anyway, given the source of the recording and age etc. The "Don't Look Back" audio parts are obviously BD resolution from "masters", however, the new set and "Don't Look Back" do not share any of the same tracks, so there is always that.

21. stepeanut

You didn't get the 1965 MP3 set as a bonus with Big Blue?

I'm not talking about ropey Internet copies. I have originals of the 1963 and 1964 vinyl, but I still welcome this new set. YMMV. If you're happy with what you have, no need to dwell on this release.

22. No, I didn't buy Big Blue!

23. stepeanut

Shame that.

Anyway, I expect the 1965 tracks to be an upgrade on the files provided to purchasers of that set.

24. Dave Gilmour's Cat

I suppose that makes sense. But they’d be a lot more rare if they hadn’t been issued in any form...
    I don’t need it at all. But I still ordered it. Such is being a Dylan fan.

The Bard, Lonson and stepeanut like this.
  25. stepeanut

Amen.