Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yeah, same with Sounstage Direct.

2. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Just added it to my cart and it allowed me to apply the current LP10 discount code (as well as a few private codes I have) without issue. The salespeople will also typical honor/match competitors discounts (15-20%) if you call in.

chacha likes this.
  3. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Err...correction. Was looking at the stereo version. I see what you mean about the mono. I would still call and see what they can do.

You can think Chad Kassem for the “no further discounts” trend. He started that on AP issues shortly after 10-20% discounts became de rigueur a few years ago. I guess MoFi caught up. Expect MoFi/MD to stop free shipping on One-Steps next...

chacha likes this.
  4. teag

teag Forum Resident

I tend to agree about the panning.

However, I just put the stereo 45rpm MOFI of Freewheeling on. It's been a while and I notice the vocals are not panned. They are centered. Some instruments are panned but sound really clear and full. This sounds fantastic. Carrina, Carrina is a great one - has centered vocal and harmonica. In fact the harmonica is basically centered on most songs with the vocals.

I still want the mono though!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    soundQman, Tommyboy and chacha like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

I buy a lot less from Acoustic Sounds than I used to basically because their sales are either for shorter periods of time or for 10% when others are 20%. Sometimes they match but some times they don't. So I go elsewhere.

And if you have to pay shipping the rates they charge are high. For example, I just entered a Dylan 45rpm LP in their cart and they would charge $15.57 for economy shipping. If you spend $87 shipping is free which is good of course.

chacha and markmck79 like this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, AS have really jacked up their shipping rates. I’ve limited my orders over the past 4 months or so.

rollo5 and teag like this.
  7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I hardly ever buy from them because you have to spend so much for free shipping.

teag and Tommyboy like this.
  8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I would have no problem putting an order together to hit free shipping,
    but to ship to Canada, there is not free shipping. Fed Ex costs about $60 per order!

9. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I
    I have both the mono and stereo 45's and I prefer the stereo. There's more detail - especially in the guitar - and more air.

Tommyboy and mikeyt like this.
  10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I prefer the mono mix for Freewheelin' but can listen to this album in either mono or stereo. The MFSL 45 RPM records are lovely but do take up a bit of room.
    Expensive to buy (for my budget) but worth it for these early Dylan albums.
    Re the debut album I do find the stereo version with the hard panned voice, harmonica on one channel, guitar the other a bit over the top. The MFSL sacd of the stereo debut is this original stereo mix. I have the 45 RPM stereo debut but sorry folks it is unplayed but I would assume it is the original stereo mix. In 2005 Sony did a new narrow stereo mix but I do not think this had had a vinyl release.
    Looking forward to the mono MFSL 45 RPM of the debut. I bought the stereo before the mono series was announced.

FashionBoy, mikeyt and Plan9 like this.
  11. Flaming Torch

My 45 RPM mono MFSL Freewheelin' is on it's way I think that just leaves the debut Bob Dylan and Another Side left for MFSL mono 45 RPM records. They sure don't do things quickly in MFSL land.

Bigbudukks and chacha like this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

On the fence about this one ("Times" is about as early in BD's career I wanted to invest MOFI level money in, but please convince me otherwise). I have the sundazed of this so interested in hearing reviews.

13. Flaming Torch

Sony are just releasing a mono vinyl Freewheelin again. It should be identical to the one in the 2010 mono box set and the standalone cd which came with a cd. The MFSL 45 RPM is jolly expensive. With postage mine has cost £64 (I know it is cheaper in the USA but with customs charges it ends up more). On my budget (and all folk are different) I only buy MFSL of albums/artists that I really love. Freewheelin covers both (artist and album). I think it is the album that made Dylan and from this point on he was never in danger of becoming just another folk act from New York (not that there is anything wrong with that it is just it took Dylan to another level) and there was no danger of Columbia getting rid of him.
    The old Sundazed version is good in my opinion and the first mono vinyl release since the 1960s pressings I think.

Regandron and Echoes Myron like this.
  14. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

I got the new Mono Freewheelin' record earlier this week. Getting around to listening today. On side one now. Very pleasant. The guitar is beautiful. I can't say it is better than anything else because I haven't spun any of my other copies of this record. I have the Sundazed mono, Sony mono box version and Mofi Stereo. They were all pleasant listens and so is this. It is probably different in some ways but the beauty of these songs overshadows any flaws the tape may have.

There are some albums that need to sound perfect because the material isn't good enough to hold its own. But this isn't an album like that. Most of the songs are iconic and would be enjoyable to hear (at least to me) on AM radio or on 45 Rpm vinyl. I cannot say that about that many albums.

Richard--W and Flaming Torch like this.
  15. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

With that said I am looking forward to the upcoming One Step of BOTT. They will probably do the same with the mono BoB in due time. Livin' on MOFI Time!

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

In my view, Freewheelin' is the best collection of songs (album) Bob did until Bringing it All Back Home, making it the best of his early/acoustic period.

SteveM, jgrillo and chacha like this.
  17. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

A one step Blood On The Tracks??? When did that get announced?

18. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Check out the one step thread. It was announced weeks ago along with the Marvin Gaye What’s Goin On, and 2 SRV albums. Also another Bill Evans title. You can preorder them all by calling Music Direct.

19. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

link?

20. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I saw the SRV, What's Goin On, Bill Evans & Bridge Over Troubled Water. I have to find this BOTT right away. I will search in the thread. Thanks

21. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Yeah I just ordered them all when announced. You can’t go wrong as an audiophile experience or as an investment.

22. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Today I received my MFSL The Freewheelin' mono copy.
    All my other mono copies (Highway 61 Revisited and John Wesley Harding) have on the transparent sleeve a round grey and white sticker with waiting "LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 ORIGINAL MONOAURAL",The Freewheelin' has not the sticker.
    have your The Freewheelin' mono copy the sticker?

23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

No sticker on mine.

24. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

No sticker on mine either.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Their economy shipping is FedEx and FedEx has raised their shipping rates. I always wait until I buy enough music for free shipping.

Bigbudukks and Tommyboy like this.