Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Thanks.

I quit buying 45rpm singles in the 1980s; they always sounded like crap next to the LP's.
    I guess things are different now.

Is everybody happy with their Blonde On Blonde mono 45rpm? No complaints?

2. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Unless I missed something huge, there is no mono vinyl cut from MoFi at all of Blonde on Blonde. There is a stereo at 45 RPM and it is wonderful.

Rumor is the MoFi mono will be a direct to disc master, but nothing official on that yet. This makes sense, because it makes no sense whatsoever that MoFi would do EVERY other mono Dylan record, and fail to release the crown jewel that is blonde on blonde.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Kubricker, mikeyt, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Richard--W

Okay ... is everybody happy with their stereo Blonde On Blonde stereo 45rpm box? no complaints?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Try searching this thread.

5. Richard--W

Helpful review:

"Blonde on Blonde" 47 Years Later On 45rpm Triple LP Box Set Sounds Better Than Ever!

Specifically, on mix and mastering history:
    Specifically, on sound quality:

6. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Richard--W and Plan9 like this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Kubricker likes this.
  8. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Richard--W likes this.
  9. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I found this piece in ISIS on the various (master)tapes very helpful.

Apparently there has been an interview with Berkowitz and Wilder about the tapes when the mono box came out:
    However, during an interview conducted by Roger Ford for ISIS, Berkowitz and Wilder said that they were able to locate, through the Sony Music archive in Germany, a tape made in 1965 for the manufacture of “Highway 61 Revisited” in France. This tape, which was fortunately in excellent condition, turned out to be the best mono mix that Berkowitz and Wilder had ever heard
    This explains why the Highway 61 mono has the MFSL banner.

10. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Well, typically 7-inch 45rpm singles had poorer quality control than LPs. The whole 7-inch disc might suffer from inner groove distortion, too, because of the tight radius, and the fact that tonearm geometry and setup is optimized for LPs. But 12-inch 45s were and are another matter. They are often great, IMO.

11. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Sorry if this has been covered but is the SACD of BLONDE a single disc? Was playing my 2003 Sony double SACD edition earlier and wondering if the Mofi is a significant upgrade? Or have they announced a mono version yet?

12. Joey_Corleone

- Single disc

- Most including myself will tell you the MoFi is fantastic and worth it. The Sony is not bad by any means, so “significant” is hard to say. I think the MoFi is warmer and with more detail. Amazing separation.

- No mono announced yet

mikeyt and Kubricker like this.
  13. Randu

Randu Senior Member

Does anyone know what year Kevin remastered Freewheelin for Sundazed?

14. Joey_Corleone

It was released in 2001, so I assume sometime briefly before that.

15. Randu

Randu Senior Member

Thanks Joey.
    See, that's what the one (1) Discogs Sundazed listing says, but that 2001 pressing was mastered by Wes Garland at Nashville Record Productions (WG/NRP in runouts) and pressed at United Record Pressing in Nashville.

It was later remastered by Kevin Gray (KPG@CA in the runouts), and repressed at QRP.

From an email from Brian @Sundazed:
    "Thanks for reaching out! That’s correct, the record was recut by Kevin Gray." but he couldn't find a date when that recut was done "Unfortunately we have no record of when exactly that happened.". (Really??)

So, there are 2 distinct versions, but as far as I can tell, only identifiable by what's in the runouts (and only the 1 on Discogs) I am trying to discern a date to put in a new Discogs listing for the later KPG reissue.
    Kevin didn't open Cohearent Audio till 2010, so it had to be after that.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Somewhere between 2011-13 or so.

17. Joey_Corleone

Thanks, I had no idea there were separate versions from Sundazed. Does that mean they are also different masters?

18. Randu

Randu Senior Member

Yes
    2001 was done by Wes Garland, 2011/12/13?? was done by Kevin Gray
    I have not compared them myself, but have read they are pretty different

Trying to nail down a date the KG was done

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think the entire mono Sundazed Dylan series was recut by Kevin Gray and pressed at QRP. I own all of them with the exception of Another Side. The sound and pressing quality are much better than the originals. The only issue I have with my QRP pressings in this series, is that some of the sides are a little off centered.

Randu, teag, Kubricker and 1 other person like this.
  20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Happy doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about the MOFI stereo Blonde on Blonde. Transcendent is closer.

Kubricker and Richard--W like this.
  21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Well I am happy with it although in a way I still prefer to play Blonde as a double album ie 4 sides rather than the 3 lp 45rpm format. However I think that spreading the music (particularly in the case of H61 a band rather than acoustic album) over more vinyl at a higher rpm may well improve sound quality. Bit like the old 12 inch 45rpm singles from years gone by. I am in for a mono vinyl MFSL Blonde when they get round to it (and mono sacd).
    Interesting about the redone Sundazed I had no idea. I bought a bunch of them reasonably cheaply a few years back so will check if they are different to the new ones I bought in 2001.

22. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

I have these Dylan MFSL vinyl titles:Blonde on Blonde,The Freewheelin 'mono,JWH mono,Highway 61 revisited mono,
    BIABH stereo,BOTT and Desiré and all are stunning,but Blonde on Blonde (stereo) and The Freewheelin '(mono) are incredible.
    For me better than the same Sundazed titles that I sold(Blonde on Blonde and H61R)

ssmith3046 likes this.
  23. Randu

Randu Senior Member

Thanks Tommyboy

Tommyboy likes this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The 2001 pressings had tight shrink wrap, but the more recent QRP pressings have loose perforated poly bags.

Randu likes this.
  25. Bob Donnelly

Bob Donnelly Senior Member

MFSL Mono Freewheelin...vocal sounds completely wrong.