Bob Dylan SACD on MFSL: What's Next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Rhett Thomas, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

The pitch sounds like part of the organ. Be curious as to MFSL response.

d.s.l. likes this.
  2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

art likes this.
  3. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

I think so too.

Also... does anyone else hear glitches during the song ("Something There Is About You")?

@
    0:44 ("Something that's crossed over...")
    @ 1:22 (just after "Danny Lopez")
    @ 2:33 (harmonica solo)

4. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

I received and listened to the MoFi John Wesley Harding CD/SACD yesterday. The red book CD sounds amazing. The harmonica sounds like a harmonica should. I love this MoFi.

eelkiller likes this.
  5. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Agentalbert, I have the DCC HWY 61 Revisited gold cd, how can I tell if I have the US or Japan one? Thanks!

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The USA is a Nimbus pressing, at least the one I own. Should be evident on the inner band. The Japan disc does have "Made in Japan" at the 9 o'clock position below the words "24 kt Gold Plated" on the label.

jfeldt likes this.
  7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It is very nice isn't it. I have not listened to the redbook layer but the SACD layer is very easy on the ears.

8. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

Been listening to the MoFi CD/SACD of John Wesley Harding, and it sounds absolutely wonderful -- harmonica and all. :)

Joti Cover and rstamberg like this.
  9. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

Can someone who has received the sacd of mfsl jwh describe in detail how it sounds - especially concerning the treble / brightness and if the harmonica is still as shrill as the 2003 sacd.
    thanks

10. David P. Hill

Looks like I have the "inferior one", Nimbus pressing, ugh! The .5db more shrill is not that bad, stills sounds good.
    Yes I also would like to know this before I bought it, I can remember my lp when it first came out, that harmonica really did scream, ear bleeding, lol!

11. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

John Wesley Harding used to sound like late night record to listen to. Musicians sounding softly beautiful. But the MoFi CD/SACD sounds so wonderfully different. It sounds like a rock and roll record that I crank up. The best MoFi red book CD I've ever heard. :)

art likes this.
  12. David P. Hill

Really, that's interesting, I guess I will have to order one. Does it come with a booklet or not?

13. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

No booklet.

14. d.s.l.

Sorry to quote myself but...

Does anyone hear these glitches on the MFSL Planet Waves?

Eduardo Denaro likes this.
  15. David P. Hill

Yes I'm interested in this to know before I order!

d.s.l. likes this.
  16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Who mastered the MFSL SACD of John Wesley Harding?

17. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Rob LoVerde

vonwegen likes this.
  18. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I am at work now but I will check on these glitches later today and let you know.

d.s.l. likes this.
  19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just listened to the SACD layer. I clearly heard the glitches on track 5 at all three points you mentioned. They sound like a click in the right channel each time. Also the annoying high pitched whistle in the right channel that starts right after the song starts. I can ignore the brief clicks but that high pitched whineing noise is quite annoying and ear piercing!

goer and d.s.l. like this.
  20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have listened to both layers of my copy and the glitches are on both. Clearly audible clicks. It annoys me when paying premium prices for discs and having problems like this and with the Audio Fidelity Sly Stone disc.

vonwegen likes this.
  21. David P. Hill

Bruce 2, I would record those songs, just where the audio clicks occur and the high pitched whining noise, mp3 file them and send them to Mobile Fidelity, so they can hear this crap and hopefully fixed it! Draw this to the attention Rob Loverde. I totally agree with you the overpriced unlistenable so-called audiophile pressing. Why don't they listen to whole sacd, all the formats, to make sure there is no mishaps before they press the whole job?
    [email protected]

vonwegen and bruce2 like this.
  22. d.s.l.

Thanks for checking. These issues are not present on the 2003 Columbia Hybrid SACD.

23. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I may let them know about the issue but unfortunately I cant make a recording to send them as I do not own a computer and have become pretty computer illiterate. Other than this one song the disc sounds good. This is my first time owning and hearing this album and I really like it. Its a shame about the errors on that one track however. Hopefully someone else with the disc will chime in also.

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It sounded fine to me:cheers:

25. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Do you listen to the SACD or CD layer? I could clearly hear the little clicks on both layers but the high pitched noise was much more noticeable only on the SACD layer. I didn't really notice it on the redbook. Like I said the clicks didn't really bother me that much either they reminded me of hearing a tick or small pop on a vynil record!

d.s.l. likes this.