Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Whatever happened to Volume 2 of the "Complete Recordings"? I seem to remember it was rumored to be all the Bootleg recordings in a box.

paulbright81 likes this.
  2. I completely agree with this. The intensity of the fall '79 shows at Fox Warfield was somewhat dissipated by the spring of 1980. The '79 live show should be released without anything else to dilute its impact as it deserves its own space. I know it's not going to happen but just saying.

rating008 likes this.
  3. See my post above ^^^ ;)

I appreciate there's a lot of unreleased Infidels session material but that wasn't my point; how much of it is at the level of the five out-takes already released? Very little or maybe none IMHO. What I'm questioning is why should they purposefully want to revisit an album session which hardly produced Dylan's most famous (or infamous for that matter) or celebrated record when they've already been there and got it right first time around? Infidels, as released, is not even close to being his best 80's album, and comes from his (rightfully in my opinion) least celebrated decade overall. Mining session material from this period again would make me believe they're running out of good usable material. It's the sound of barrel scraping, something which to date at least his Bootleg Series has managed to avoid accusations of.

The Bootleg Series has thrived on being a curated set rather than something like the un-ceremonial 'copyright extension' dumping grounds which just release everything available due to the legal necessity to protect future business profits.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Of course, under current European copyright legislation, this will happen in late 2029. Frankly, it's touch and go whether I will still be around to see it, but I would place my pre-order now if I could.

#

5. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Down In Another Groove? ;)

6. Long And Wasted Years ?

7. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

"the box is filled with the most recent editions of the regular version of the parts of The Bootleg Series ."

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I'm not insisting on anything, but the reality is that if you pick your personal favorite year from the Gospel Era and focus BS13 only on that, the other years aren't going to get separate boxes "devoted to them" -- they'll just be ignored altogether. You're not seriously proposing THREE Gospel boxes when Sony was skittish about releasing ONE until just this past year?

Also, I don't think BS12 suffered any from having the 1965-66 tracks "mashed" together -- even on the less-expansive 6-CD set. And there were arguably more rewarding outtakes from those three albums than the three "gospel" albums we're talking about.

budwhite likes this.
  11. RayS

Still being stingy with that "Tell Tale Signs" 3rd disc, eh? Bastages.

DmitriKaramazov and Spadeygrove like this.
  12. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i mean he drew the cover for Another Self Portrait...

13. He did more than that! He vetoed a few proposed tracks as well.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Let's hope it isn't a tell tale sign.

RayS likes this.
  15. RayS

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  16. I realise that as I have it in my collection BUT it is perfect sound quality and the equal of the official release (cloned presumably) and contains additional material so for those who can't / won't pay for the 3rd disc, it's still a viable option, however much of a bad taste it might leave. The reason they didn't include it in the complete collection is the same reason they didn't include it in the standard bootleg series release originally: $$$$$$.

17. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i'm not surprised to hear that. i heard from a reliable source early on that "Jamaica Farewell" and "Long Black Veil" were considered. do you have a link or anything regarding that or is it just personal knowledge?

18. IIRC, there was some discussion in this forum about it at the time, although I can't honestly remember the exact details now. The gist of it was that some of the tracks proposed included more of the Greatest Hits Vol 2 sessions, including Dylan's re-recordings of some of his older pre-rock material but he'd vetoed their suggestions / early track listing. I'll have a look and see if I can find it but I can't promise anything as it's like looking for a needle in a haystack in this forum!

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

"Jamaica Farewell" is supposed to be particularly good. I hadn't heard the rumor the Dylan personally vetoed it, or any other specific track. But it would explain some of the odder omissions (such as the New Morning outtake of "Tomorrow Is A Long Time").

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

If it's based on something you read on the thread here, I'm 99% sure it was just speculation (perhaps from me). There were several people trying to make sense of some of the material missing on that otherwise outstanding set, but I don't think we ever got an satisfying answer (aside from the common sense explanation that the compilers just had a different opinion).

That said, if you find a post to the contrary, please share!

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  21. RayS

Pretty much any released music you can't or won't pay for had can be had in "perfect" sound quality at no cost if you choose to go that route.

I would think that the inclusion of the third disc in a "complete" collection would increase (perhaps markedly increase) sales. So $$$$$$$$ would be the reason FOR its inclusion.

22. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

For the third discs in the Bootleg Series for Tell Tale Signs and Self Portrait (the Isle Of Wight disc) I held my nose and bought them on ITunes (to keep my rule of paying for all official stuff) because there was no way I was paying for the deluxe editions.

majorlance and RayS like this.
  23. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Was the third disc of Tell Tale Signs ever on iTunes? I don't think it was.

24. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Yes it definitely was.

gottafeelin likes this.