Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Wonderful. Note also an album called The Times Are A - Changing.

2. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Typography Is A-Challenging.

3. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Well spotted. And the wrong positions in the list for "Blonde on Blonde" and "Dylan"

4. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

The final three tracks on Side 6 were issued on the Dylan LP in Dec. 1973, but judging by the cover photo, I'd say the Eleven Years collection was probably released a few months later. (Discogs, it should be noted, also shows "Dec. 1973" for a release date.)

OK, sorry for another off-topic interlude, back to Bootleg Series V.13.:cool:

slane and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

The iTunes timing suggest the live "Carribean Wind" won't include the "Leadbelly" intro. Not surprising (especially in light of them editing out the raps), but still a minor disappointment.

The Bard likes this.
  6. That's a bummer, but understandable. A lengthy spoken intro is not something that "casual" fans are likely to want to listen to more to and even many committed fans will probably skip things like that after listening once or twice.
    We'll have to play the intro in our heads before the track starts. "He didn't change - he was the same man!".

RayS likes this.
  7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ok you got me. What is the Ledbelly intro?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  8. 1980 A Musical Retrospective Tour

mrjinks and Sean Murdock like this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Critic Paul Williams.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My Mother (aged 92 and living with me, as I am her full time nurse and aide) may be one of the last people who can say they saw Lead Belly, Woody Guthrie, John Jacob Niles and Bob Dylan in concert. Add to that her handful of Grateful Dead concerts, and she may be unique. She still talks about how intense John Jacob Niles was, though she can no longer listen to music (as is the case for most people over 90)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. He had published a booklet called "Dylan - What Happened?" that Dylan liked. It's highly recommended.
    The booklet (as well as a follow-up) was republished in a Paul Williams anthology called "Watching the River Flow", published in 1996.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Paul Williams always had great things to say about Bob's work, and never wanted to be Dylan's boss and micro-manager like another well known Dylanologist

14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Are there any ROIOs that cover those '81 sessions?

15. Paul Williams was a great writer and I can't say enough about how much the first two volumes of "Performing Artist" meant to me.
    That said, Wiliams could be over-enthusiastic and it didn't seem like he was able to find much to criticize about Bob Dylan. That's not a strength, IMO.

16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

?

17. Red River Shore stands out but there are plenty of post-1981 examples.

18. I think that's a subtweet directed at an image of Clinton Heylin.

bobcat likes this.
  19. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

(Not) In The (Mosh) Pit
    True, but I do hope that they are included on the bonus San Diego discs.

From a historical standpoint, I think it would have been interesting to include some of the crowd interaction from the second Tempe '79 concert, where Bob was essentially baited by the audience. Would have invited comparison with the 1966 Manchester concert on Vol 4 of The Bootleg Series.

20. Yeah works for me. I have my own memories of folks walking out of the first 79 SF Warfield Show :tiphat:

robcar likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Well, I for one, would criticize Dylan for copying my hairstyle. He would have had many more fans if he had only brushed his hair when he got up in the morning.

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Clinton Heylin

23. I really can't imagine a scenario where a "complete" 1979 concert will be be released in a very limited number and the "sermons" won't be included. There are good reasons to not include the "sermons" on the "regular" set, but why edit a bonus disc meant for the fanatics?

24. That's for sure.

Tribute likes this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

Because Bob probably isn't fond of the sermons would be my guess.

The Bard likes this.