Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

I will certainly do my best with the first two.

Percy Song likes this.
  2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Great post Harpy. That's an accurate assesment of what was going on in my small town rural setting amongst music and Dylan fans believers or not. I think the majority of Christians were not even in touch with what was going on with Bob or were very apathetic about it if they did hear of his conversion. They were more plugged in to Southern Gospel,CBN,and Jim & Tammy Faye and whatever music they were broadcasting. Dylan was still a 60's weirdo to them. Jimmy Swaggert was more relevant and listened to. They were out of the Dylan loop. Dylan fans were either really into it,cautiously interested or flat out hated it. I loved it right out of the gate because the day I had my true conversion and was joyously spent,sprawled across the bed, my wife who was working a NRM store brings a copy of Slow Train home throws it on the bed and says...I thought you might like this. Talk about divine timing...for me anyway. I had no idea there was even a new Dylan album coming out. Slow Train became an inspiration and confirmation to me that my brand new faith decision was the correct choice. I didn't feel let down at all by Bob as he continued on his life path. In fact, Infidels might be as much or more of a "Gospel" album than the big 3. It's just more shrouded in mystery,not as direct, a lot between the lines stuff hidden from the world.

I have to give my dear departed Dad credit when it came to music. He was a Methodist minister during the
    60's/70's and beyond. Around 1970 as a 14 year old I bought Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits and one Spring morning as I was getting ready for school he pops his head in the door and asks...is that Bob Dylan? I say yeah and he pauses a moment and says...I like it. My Dad was cool for a minute...who knew?

I really connected with Saved. It felt like I was in tangent with Bob when I realized those songs were about growth in his faith, sanctification would be the biblical term. Slow Train felt like Bob was John The Baptist
    crying out in the wilderness and Saved more like the apostle Paul out on Desolation Row which kinda continued with Shot Of Love, a left turn onto Main St..

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  3. BCW

BCW New Member

I was only 8 when STC came out, and didn't hear the album for another 8 years after that, but I hated it the first time I did and that view hasn't changed since.

4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Really enjoying this set. Gonna be super busy tagging it all though.

5. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Yeah, tempted to go to that myself.

6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

For American readers, Heylin's book comes out tomorrow.

One more excuse for not getting things done. :)

7. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

I got mine done mid-day Saturday. I feel your pain.

The Killer likes this.
  8. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I’m trying to decide if it should be the Heylin signature paperback, or the hardcover. Any suggestions?

9. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I'm glad this set is pleasing so many - my one gripe, and its kinda a major one - this Bootleg set should have been labelled "Live" as the other live sets were.

Was really hoping/expecting studio material. The outtakes that were included are all fantastic - but this certainly wasn't the set I thought it would be.

I love "Ain't No Man Righteous (Take 6)" - possibly my favorite cut on this massive set.

Anyone know why they avoided going deep on the albums and just released all of these live performances? Are studio tapes missing?

I'm not familiar with Dylan's "real" bootlegs from this period, but I do love the actual albums - and the "Heart of Mine" single which has "Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar" as the flip.

Great non-LP studio tracks.. glad some appeared, if even in alternate form, alternate takes. It's just about 12-14 songs from the studio not intended for a live performance and that just seems lacking for such a deluxe set covering this period.

Jeff

10. RayS

I am Kindle person myself. Usually cheaper, no shelf expended. In this case the Kindle version is half the price of the paperback.

Dflow and Electric Sydney like this.
  11. RayS

12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

All in all I think the deluxe-editions is one of the musically most rewarding of all the bootleg-series. It also goes a long way putting the so-called bornagain period into perspective.
    Dylan himself is on fire all through the set sometimes on the edge of being posessed. The first two discs serves as a very good chronogical resume of the liveshows trrougout the period with some absolutely stunning perfomances. A jaw-dropping When you gonna wake up, a rousing Saved and a truly majestic In the Garden, Caribbean wind and the groom still waiting (with Carlos Santana)to mention a few highlights. Gospel or not this is American music at it very best
    Disc 3 and 4 with outtakes, rehearsals and songs never released also makes up for a very rewarding listening. The acoustic duet with Clyde King Ride again, the alternate When he returns, the never finished Make a liar out of me(great lyrics there) and the 7minute plus heavy reggae of Dead man, Dead man deserves honorable mention but there are much more
    The 2 cd:s of Toronto is a glimmering, spellbinding, great sounding listening experience(also the stuff I was most familiar with). Just as pointed out Saved is missing but what s there makes up for it-not least the harmonica solo on What can I do for you
    The 2-disc Earls court concert puts everything fullcircle. Old classics are now included and mix perfectley with the gospel material. Among the highlights a defitively reading of Girl from the North Country and an almost unbelivable intense Solid rockNot to mention one amazing gospelcersion of Blowin in the wind.. Personally I think the Earls Court concert is one of the best Dylan concerts ever released
    Then there is the film-the Sermons are what they are but the music and photo is of uniformly high quality. The version of When he returns is breathtaking not to mention the final shot of Dylan and Clydie King(I think) deliver a gorgeous version of Abraham, Martin and John with only Bobs piano as accoutument. Pure magic
    The band Dylan assembled during this period was a truly amazing one-they really shine on each and every song- not to mention the Gospel singers that is the real heart of this musical journey
    These are great times for Dulan fans with stuff we only could dream of released on a regular basis. Among these this one is-imo-a true highlight. Not least because I always been an admirer and defender of this ers
    Great stuff

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  13. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Pretty sure it's Clydie King.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It is-noticed that and changed my error. Thanks anyway:)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I have no religion and neither does my wife. The day I set eyes on her for the first time was in the summer of 1980. I was picking up my girlfriend from her place of work on a Friday afternoon. She got into the car and said, "We're giving Joannie a lift into town. She's my best friend." I said, "Okie Dokie." Joannie slid into the back seat and said, "Hello." I said, "Hello." She wore a yellow dress with multi-coloured spots on and her maroon hair was tied in bunches. Driving into town her beautiful brown eyes met mine on more than several occasions in the rear view mirror. I swear to God that in that moment when she stepped into my car the song playing on the cassette machine was "Precious Angel".

It has been confirmed recently by my ex-girlfriend that she and Joannie (now more commonly referred to as Grandma JoJo) attended the Earl's Court show together on 27 June, 1981; I was working in a swamp in Sudan at the time wondering if there would ever be a time when Bob would give a show when I was in UK. It's not his fault; I spent 300 days a year out of the country and Bob was never likely to play a gig in a swamp in Africa.

Grandma JoJo and I got married in 1982. I still love those eyes.

#

16. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I pre-ordered through Amazon, and they still list a Nov. 28 release date. Hmmm....

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

for kindle it's Nov. 7th.

18. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

It's just like the ****in' Bootleg Series boxset itself--others are gonna enjoy this before me! :realmad::realmad::realmad:

;)

Zeki likes this.
  19. RayS

I'm sorry, I guess since I limited my search and my order to Kindle that the release date for the hard copy doesn't appear on my page.

One more reason to get the Kindle version I guess.

jpmosu likes this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I already know I'll be skipping straight to the chronology in the appendix.

keef285 and RayS like this.
  21. According to my Italian Amazon order, my copy of the deluxe should arrive today! I know what I'll be listening to all evening if this pans out. :waiting:

LonesomeDayBlues and DeeThomaz like this.
  22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

There is another Slow Train recording from a soundcheck, again quite different, that isn't on the box set. That's the one from Nashville.

Mr. Explorer, keef285 and Percy Song like this.
  23. It's here!!!! :goodie:Fantastic looking set.......can't wait to play it later.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  24. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

The clearest copy of the san diego cover I could find was in this thread but it wasn't square so I made this for the mean time til a better one surfaces :/
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2017
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Consider my cold, cold heart just a little bit warmed.