Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're currently at (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Bob has not often recorded with his touring band. It's mainly been the last few years. He's always approached albums like a solo artist and gathered specific musicians with the producer (if there is one) for the project, old school style.

HominyRhodes and Thelonious_Cube like this.
  2. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

he tried in 65/66. in 74, in 78 and 79 and 80 and 81. then took a break and took up in 97. toom was to be with the touring band but those guys faltered and he called up some peeps to take over. by 2001 he had guys in his band that could play so he was good to go. besides the internet cut down all that messing around in the studio. no money for it.
    bob did some sessions with the Band in the early 90s for an aborted Band album.

3. The Reasoner

The Reasoner Forum Resident

Glad to hear that BS6 is in fact the complete show. Of course, I'll still be listening to commemorate 50th anniversary. Should be a good way to pass some time before the basement tapes arrive.

4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

You mean, your package arrived? LOL

5. This is the first I hear about this. Sources?

6. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

The pre-show announcement was included on early cd-r promo copies.

http://www.searchingforagem.com/2000s/International047.htm

"This promo set is housed in two clear single CD jewel cases. The front inserts look as if they're from a PC printer.

Harold Lepidus informs me that early promo copies start with a stage announcement but later promo copies as below and the commercial release do not. These early copies, which have no artwork and are on CD-Rs, are not classed as rarities because Bob's musical content is unchanged. Various song introductions which occur throughout the performance and Bob's introduction of Joan Baez are separate CD tracks here but they're merged with the songs on the later promos and the commercial release.

The stage announcement (followed by applause and a short silence) is: "Before we begin, I have one announcement to make. (Applause.) It’s two fold. There’s no smoking in the house, and absolutely no pictures, please!"

Thanks to Jean-Pol Hiernaux for finding these on eBay."

asdf35 likes this.
  7. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Referring to the Halloween 1964 show here - I know my main CD player is somehow unable to recognize & play info written in the negative count time on discs. Therefore, the BS discs don't play Bob's between song banter on my player, which is honestly the best part of the show. "Please WHAT?"

Unless Columbia pulls a trick like that, it's practically impossible to mess up this upcoming BT release. They know what we've been listening to for years, all they have to do is improve the sound quality a little & let us have it!

8. The pre-gap thing is annoying on the BS releases. If you downloaded Isle of Wight from the BS 10 deluxe set on iTunes, you didn't get the pre-gap stuff, like Dylan's mention of Manfred Mann before "Quinn".

subtr, slane and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  9. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Weird...

10. DmitriKaramazov

Just FYI, on my CD, all the pre-song banter seems to be indexed on the actual song. Example, Davy Moore has a long funny rant, all at the start of track 5 .....

So, I don't know what other people are hearing??

11. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

To hear the intro in the right place, my copy has to continuously run on from the previous song, if I just select say Davy Moore as a single track, the intro is missing.

It's been very quiet here today, was something delivered this morning? :laugh:

12. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Nothing Was Delivered.

supermd, hollowhorn, George P and 3 others like this.
  13. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

What are you guys, a vaudeville team? :laughup:

14. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

goombay said:
    bob did some sessions with the Band in the early 90s for an aborted Band album
    Goombay's trippin- the Band sans Robertson recruited a singer/songwriter named Jules Shear for an unreleased album called Tombstone in '90-'91, which is probably what his drug-addled brain is misremembering :)
    http://theband.hiof.no/albums/boot_tombstone.html

hollowhorn likes this.
  15. INSW

INSW Senior Member

He did sessions with David Bromberg in the early 90s, but I've never heard there were and sessions with the remains of The Band.

16. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

Dylan did send the Band an unreleased song written during the post-Slow Train era, "I Must Love You Too Much," to record for their 1996 album High on the Hog. There's never been any evidence that I know of that he recorded or planned to record with the Band at that time.

17. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

Looks like the door to the Big Pink basement is starting to open wider. The NPR site has the following 12 tracks available for preview (plus a story/review by Tom Moon):

Edge Of The Ocean (Disc 1, Track 1)
    You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Take 1) (Disc 3, Track 17)
    I Shall Be Released (Take 1) (Disc 3, Track 19)
    Quinn The Eskimo (Take 1) (Disc 4, Track 4)
    This Wheel's On Fire (Disc 3, Track 21)
    Johnny Todd (Disc 2, Track 1)
    Don't Ya Tell Henry (Disc 4, Track 21)
    I Don't Hurt Anymore (Disc 2, Track 19)
    Silent Weekend (Disc 5, Track 12)

Crash On The Levee (Take 1) (Disc 3, Track 10)
    One Too Many Mornings (Disc 5, Track 2)
    I'm Your Teenage Prayer (Disc 2, Track 8)

dee, Williamson, fallbreaks and 5 others like this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

all these previews on all these different sites. I have to imagine that they are making money from this (website pays to have the exclusive first preview of a song). But let me know if I am wrong! This is just my speculation, based on all the previews listed over the past few weeks.

19. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Are you sure? These are the whole songs--I haven't found several of these elsewhere online, except for brief snippets.

20. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Ha ha - Bob's opening comment on this 6 disc set is perfect.

asdf35 likes this.
  21. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Thanks!

They sound great to me.

It's cool to finally hear the first attempt at "I Shall Be Released" in full. You can tell they had already rehearsed the music extensively, with the final arrangement 99% in place (btw, good decision to open with the verse instead of the chorus on take 2). Unlike most/all the other Dylan originals that had re-takes, Dylan didn't have lyrics 100% in place yet (unless he mumbles because he just forgot, and they decided the backing was too good to just erase over). Maybe he was so excited about this one that he didn't want to wait (which just makes his "donation" of it to the group, instead of keeping it for himself, all the more "perverse")?

22. DmitriKaramazov

GREAT review.

skybluestoday likes this.
  23. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Yes! Perfect intro to this whole enchilada.
    Based on that, it sounds to me like all the bits will be included, no edits.

I mean if an evil cabal of Sony Execs were to edit intros and chatter,
    that first bit of tape would be the first casualty!

"You can't start a Sony Product with 'Why don't you shut it off....'"

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    fallbreaks likes this.
  24. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

It's the best I've ever heard This Wheels on Fire sound. Most of the boots I've heard are muffled, and the officially released version has overdubs and is pretty compressed. This is very nice.

25. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

One Too Many Mornings with Richard taking the lead vocal on verse one is tremendous

The track numbers given on the NPR site don't all jive with previous listings...

fallbreaks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.