Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 (part2) Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

This great, new collection helps me to remember how prolific was Dylan in those years. I have enjoyed Tempest and others, recent Dylan albums. Well, now we have an excellent Dylan release every three years. In the period 1969-1971, bootlegs included, we have 7 collections: Nashville Skyline, Dylan-Cash sessions, Self Portrait, Another Self Portrait, Dylan, Harrison-Dylan sessions, New Morning.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Is it just me, or does Only A Hobo have a bit of George Jackson about it? (or vice-versa more correctly, since George Jackson was recorded 6 weeks after the earlier song)

3. dee

dee Senior Member

^ Dunno, didn't think of it, but that's interesting, and will have to check on it. Curious if anyone can speak to a similarity. Cheers.

4. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Most of which varies from average to unlistenable. One of his worst periods of writer's block. Not prolific in terms of turning out great songs for sure.

5. ZoomBob

ZoomBob Forum Resident

He was turning out some great vocals.

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I'll give you that (especially NS).

7. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

8. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

Yeah, their omission now makes perfect sense if the D-Train was concurrently putting together the Odds & Ends set. Could apply to Lay Lady Lay too, and maybe the complete lack of Dylan representation in ASP? If so, we were still deprived some overdub-free Naked Dylan (err..), but everything save The Mysterious Case of Tomorrow Is A Long Time is now pretty understandable.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

This new set is gettin' a lotta love!
    Just read the 4 1/2 star review in Rolling Stone.
    This is the last thing I thought a "Bootleg Series" would produce a few years ago. I just did not think there was so much quality material from this period. The fact that it seems to be so good is just another reason to celebrate Dylan's genius.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

One of my friends is actually already COMPLAINING about this set, claiming that it's scraping the bottom of the barrel (and he hasn't even heard it yet!). I pointed out that the Bootleg Series has been uniformly excellent so far, so how can we complain if they try something out of left field this time? Besides, this era has barely been bootlegged before. Years ago, he'd be scrambling for this stuff if it appeared in collectors circles. I myself am looking forward to the set.

skybluestoday likes this.
  11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I don't think the "scraping the bottom of the barrel" metaphor applies here. With things like complete sets for the Basement Tapes, Blood on the Tracks, and Blonde On Blonde – not to mention Infidels – still in the barrel, we haven't reached anywhere near the bottom yet enough to scrape it!

Heart of Gold likes this.
  12. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Well, that was part of his complaint. He knows what else is in the pipeline and viewed the Self Portrait era as "bottom of the barrel" in comparison.

13. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I understand his complaint (and even have a little compassion for it), I'm just letting out my inner Grammar Nazi here. It's hard to scrape the bottom of a barrel when it's still plenty full. :winkgrin:

As for me, I think this will be a revelatory set and I hope he approaches it with an open mind!

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

They shipped mine the other day so you should be good.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

To each his own. I rate "Lay Lady Lady," "I Threw It All Away," "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You," and pretty much all of New Morning with his best work. Not to mention some pretty decent one-off tracks from the period such as "When I Paint My Masterpiece."

16. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Man I am so in for this set - just preordered the 4 CD version from ImportCDs. I have loved every one of the Bootleg Series titles so far - I listen to all of these more than any other Dylan titles - and this sounds like it could be, in some ways, the most revelatory yet.

17. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I will agree about the first 2 and the last one. but New Morning is extremely average. It's still Dylan so it's all relative of course.

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Me too. I'm not a huge fan of Nashville Skyline, but the stretch between Self Portrait, New Morning, Planet Waves and Blood on the Tracks I think of as his very best, and the more I learn of the unreleased material during these times the more that cements that for me. I could not disagree more that New Morning is extremely average.

19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Well, I have recently learnt to love Planet Waves (after first hearing it 33 yrs ago), so I won't give up on New Morning yet.

20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm with Lonson, could not disagree more that New Morning is average.

22. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

Here's a version of "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" from a "New Morning" warmup session that would have fit nicely on "Another Self-Portrait":

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  23. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

My guess is though I agree it should be on this set that it will be on the 2 cd Side Tracks in the new gigantic albums collection box set.

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I received the Vinyl from Amazon UK today, all I'll say is that I've never seen packaging like this set arrived in....... LITERALLY!!! it had NO packaging at all. :yikes: :realmad: :cussing:

Amazon sent it out in just the factory sealed box set with an address label stuck to the cellophane, how it arrived without major damage I'll never know, it has a couple of dents that I'll live with simply because the vinyl is flat and quiet throughout.

I got half way through removing the cellophane before I realised I should take a pic.

IMG_8717.JPG

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That makes Amazon look bad. I wonder why that happened?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.