Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I cross my eyes.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That did come out on vinyl at the time, if I recall correctly, but it was scarce then and is even scarcer now.

3. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Sorry if this isn't news, but it's news to me. Found this on Amazon.. "Another Self Portrait (1969-1971): The Bootleg Series Vol. 10."

There is a release date of Aug 27 and this product description:
    Bob Dylan Bootleg Series Volume 10 comes from the 1969 1971 recording sessions that ultimately produced the Self Portrait and New Morning albums. All 35 tracks are previously unreleased, alternate takes, demos or live versions of that material. The versions of the songs on this package are radically different from the officially released versions. The cover is new artwork by Bob Dylan. The liner notes have been written by Greil Marcus, who wrote the original Self Portrait review for Rolling Stone that infamously asked, "What is this sh**?." Also included is an extensive essay from well known journalist, Michael Simmons. The set also has extensive photographs of that era from John Cohen and Al Clayton many of them rare and unseen - as well as pictures of the original tape boxes and cue sheets.

The Standard Version contains 35 tracks on 2 CD's, and soft cover perfect bound booklet
    The Deluxe Version contains 4 CD's and two hardcover books housed in a hardcover slip case
    Book # 1 contains 4 CD's and liner notes
    Book # 2 contains the photos from John Cohen and Al Clayton.
    The 2 bonus CD's will contain the newly remastered version of Self Portrait and the complete 17 song recording of Dylan & The Band performing live at the Isle Of Wight in 1969
    The vinyl version contains 35 tracks on 3 LPs (and 2 CDs) plus a 12" x 12" booklet that includes the liner notes written by Greil Marcus, the essay from Michael Simmons, and the photographs from John Cohen and Al Clayton, and pictures of the original tape boxes and cue sheets.

http://www.amazon.com/Another-Self-...6749&sr=1-10&keywords=dylan+bootleg+series+10

5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That's a scoop. Thanks, Pawnmower!

6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I reckon I'm in for the Deluxe version.

Peter_R likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks for the first official news on this. BUT I do hate it when I'll have to buy the Deluxe Edition with 2 books included just to get the bonus CDs. I could do without the Self-Portrait reissue as a bonus CD, but I'd want that live CD of the Isle Of Wight show. Oh well... Arnie

Carserguev likes this.
  8. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

There's now an official promo video on YouTube:

9. Rollie

Rollie Forum Resident

Listening to Dylan lately, so this is definitely on my radar!:agree:

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Could be interesting.

Does a soundboard of the Isle Of Wight exist? ..Seems I recall about all there was is an audience recording. I could be mistaken.

11. bubba-ho-tep

What was the source of the Isle of Wight tracks on Self Portrait?

12. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Seems a perverse choice at first blush, but I think he's long wanted to make his case for that period in his career, writing extensively about it in Chronicles, etc. Maybe this sort of reclamation project will lift the stigma from that era's recordings.

13. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Makes me wonder if/where Dylan (the album of 1970 outtakes Columbia released when he bolted to David Geffen's Asylum Records for 2 albums in 1973, never released on CD in the US) fits into all this.

14. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Soundboard. The majority of the booted tracks over the years have been from the audience.

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

At the 3:21 mark, the clip shows the following text: Unreleased Recordings with George Harrison.

And "Recordings" is plural!! Arnie

16. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

At the end of the promo video is that a photo of the actual cd cover? Is that supposed to be Bob?

17. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I wonder what the unreleased George Harrison tracks will be. I didn't know they recorded anything other than the version of If Not For You on Bootleg 1-3.

I was hoping to get the Dylan album released with this set. Is there any way to buy a cd version of that legitimately?

Edited: Arnold Grove beat me to the punch.

18. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Ha ha I guess the only way to sell a remastered version of Self Portrait is to cover it with gravy.

Carserguev, majorlance and Jerryb like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I like the pics of Bob with the chickens. Never seen those before.

Complete soundboard of IOW will be nice indeed :)

20. mrjinks

The amazon blurb states the new cover was done by Bob himself.

21. bubba-ho-tep

I just tentatively pre-ordered the Deluxe set in hopes that the price will drop from $125 between now and the end of August.

22. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I just got a quick look at it but it didn't look like Bob at all.

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That promo video is pretty awesome. Shame about the price of the deluxe set, but who am I kidding-- no chance am I skipping the opportunity to finally get Isle of Wight. But I reserve the right to complain and moan!

Jerryb likes this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm dubious that it's coming out on 8/27 (seems like an awful quick turn around for something that was only just confirmed today). But if that's the case, there will almost certainly be a press release in the next couple days that should spell out the full track listing.

25. mrjinks

Ha! But did the first one? :laugh:

CataPineapple39 and Jerryb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.