Bob Ludwig interview from a couple years back

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Found this interview that may confirm that there was, indeed, a plan by Sony to remaster the who Springsteen catalog.

http://www.paudio.com/Pages/learning_Ludwig.html

Bob Ludwig: I think it was yesterday that Bruce Springsteen released a four CD set of, I think it was, 65 songs that have been in the can, never released before. Bruce has been with Sony, or CBS, for 25 years now; just got nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame yesterday. So Sony is going to reissue all of his CD's again, so I'm getting to do that again. (Bob mastered all of Bruce's past CD's.) Being that he's on Sony, they were interested in having some material on the Super Audio CD, which is as you probably know a dual-layer CD which has DVD audio on one layer and Red Book audio on the other.

He also mentions using NoNoise or CEDAR to remove tics and pops in master tapes, in a section where they talk about mastering for vinyl. Shudder...

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the link. It's a great article. I sat here for 30 mins and read the entire thing.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I bet that Rush album without any low end he talks about is Presto.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

"So you can see how the whole thing has really gotten out of hand. The price we pay for all of this is we can't listen to the records. Some of the records you can't listen to from beginning to end without getting tired. It's just this constant asssault on your body, with everything always to the max. That's why I say thank God the Beatles music wasn't ruined by that stuff. Obviously they had _nice_ compression. Compression is a good thing. Compression is the key to rock and roll. How do you take something that is designed for a venue where it's played at the threshold of pain and make it sound like anything at all through a little boom box? Well, you just fill that thing up as much as you can."

There you go, folks. Absolutely correct. Love the article. Thanks.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I actually went to an informal seminar in college where Bob Ludwig spoke. My radio professor was able to get our class into a sound recording department lecture with Bob.
    A lot of my classmates were going "Who is this guy we're going to see?" My reply was "Check the back of your album covers!"

The thing that struck me about Mr. Ludwig is that he doesn't like to be considered the "hired gun" on projects. He mentioned not caring for the artist or record company mentality that says "just get Bob Ludwig to do it, it will be great." He would rather work hand-in-hand with the artist to create the vision that the artist wants to convey. He mentioned a few situations like in the article.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.