Bob Marley "Catch A Fire" Deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lil.fred, May 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock Thread Starter

Generally fascinated by this release -- which offers the traditionally received album, alongside something called "The Jamaican Mix" or "the Original Mix".

But I'm wondering about the real status of the "original". The idea is that Marley and the Wailers mixed the album, with just them playing on it, to their satisfaction; sent it to England; and there Island Recs. decided to overdub & remix.

It sounds to me, from the evidence I can gather, like what was really delivered to Island Records was multi-tracks. That's not a mix, it's the raw materials for a mix! In support of this idea, I note that the new release of the Original Mix credits someone with re-mixing it!

Anybody?

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

From what I understand, the eight track recordings were sent to Chris Blackwell who then proceeded to overdub guitar and keyboards so the recordings would appeal to a rock audience. Back in '72, reggae was virtually unknown outside of Jamaica and Blackwell felt it necessary to take this step.

John Rabbit Bundrick (of Who fame) and Wayne Perkins (of Hot Stuff/Rolling Stones fame) were brought in to overdub keyboards and guitar respectively. While the original Jamaican Mix is great, I enjoy the Chris Blackwell mix much more.

3. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

All of these Marley deluxe editions have something going for them - definitely worthy purchases. I have gone back and forth, but I think I like the Jamaican mix of Catch A Fire better now.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Beauty is in the ear of the listener. ;)

Personally, I have a hard time listening to Concrete Jungle without hearing Wayne Perkin's searing guitar work or Stir it Up without his extended work out.

Regardless, both versions of the album have much to recommend. :thumbsup:

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I do like very much the Deluxe Edition... the Jamaica mix is worth pick up the CD only.

6. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

wondered the same thing myself fred.

was the jamaican mix really done in 1972, or was it mixed down in 2001?

7. Mike

Mike New Member

According to Timothy White's discography in the book Catch A Fire:

A Tuff Gong counterpart of all Island albums was released in Jamaica, all of them with different mixes and slightly different cover art.

8. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock Thread Starter

I've continued to look into this over the last couple of months. Comparison of "Concrete Jungle" shows me something that surprised me: we really aren't dealing here with "with-overdubs" and "not overdubbed" versions here. Bob's vocal is two entirely different performances. The rhythm track is basic to both versions, and the London overdubs are, of course, missing from the "Jamaican" version; but this isn't quite what I'd been led to believe.

So I think there are a few confusing questions here.

1. Is there really such a thing as a "Jamaican Mix" of the album, that was mixed in 1972 and supplied to Island? (Or did Island receive multi-tracks?)

2. If there is such a mix, is that the one on the deluxe edition?

3. Have these "Jamaican" tracks been released before, somewhere? They are described on the CD as previously unreleased, but it is also said there that Jamaican "mixes" of the tracks were done for a Jamaican market.

4. What did Rabbit Bundrick know, and when did he know it???

Regards

9. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Hi

'Classic Albums' (a UK TV series which features an album on each 1hr program) did the Catch a Fire LP. This is what was mentioned -

Chris Blackwell gave the band the money to make the album.

He gave them £4000 and the band did the album(Bunny Wailer).

It was made quickly & the band were well rehearsed and Tight(Bunny Wailer & Sylvan Morris(Engineer))

Bob himself took the 8 tracks tapes to London and He & Chris Blackwell re-mixed and overdubbed them.

------

Note the term re-mixed suggesting they made an original mix in Jamaica.

funknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.