Bob Seger - Heavy Music: The Complete Cameo Recordings 1966-1967

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by smallworld, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

The thing will probably be out of print on the day of release! :laugh:

2. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Gonna keep an eye on this for sure.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Automatic purchase for me. I hope this is the start of a long, long awaited reissue campaign. (Yea, I can dream...)

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

2+2 was the follow up to Heavy Music, and was Bob's first single for Capitol after Cameo folded. Same band, new name.

5. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

On the topic of 2+2=?, that RSD of 2+2=? single was really a missed opportunity. The single mix, along with the B-Side Death Row were overlooked in favour of the (inferior) album version/mix, along with the B-Side, Ivory. The original single is one of the most uncompromising, hard-hitting releases he ever put out. I could totally see it being the culmination of the Cameo-Parkway releases (esp. a song like Vagrant Winter sees Seeger going in that direction)

6. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Agreed, the original Capitol single of this is pretty stunning. I can't fathom why they screwed up the reissue, unless the mono mixes just weren't available for some reason.

Crimson Witch and Greenalishi like this.
  7. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

The metro Detroit newspaper the Oakland Press reports the following:

Bob Seger's early recording to surface on new compilation

8. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well, ABKCO is. Does Bob even own the publishing rights to the songs (on this album) that he wrote? That might be all that he gets.

10. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

While I doubt it will happen I will have to look to see if it is for sale at Bob’s Columbus concert in January. If he’s making anything off of this release then if it will be there.

I wonder why the Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man album is the only early Seger album that Bob will embrace? Is it because of the title song? The more I think about it I think it’s a combo of the song, the fact it was on Live Bullet (though he seems to have abandoned some other earlier songs that appear on LB), and Glenn Frey’s involvement in the song. My own opinion is that it’s the last one more than anything else.

11. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

If he's not participating in any promotion for this thing and doesn't seem involved in any way, you're going to be looking at overpriced copies of the Greatest Hits and latest studio record at the merch stand.

12. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

All I meant was stranger things have happened.

13. parman

parman Music Junkie

Glad I spotted this thread, thanks smallworld

14. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

I've never heard these early singles. I'm excited.

Crimson Witch and Greenalishi like this.
  15. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Here's an appetiser for the release

laf848, Hep Alien, Sean and 4 others like this.
  16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Bob was clearly searching for his own sound back then, which is how we got the Barry McGuire parody of "Yellow Beret", the Dylan parody of "Persecution Smith", and the Chuck Berry/Beach Boys parody of "Florida Time". He got closest, IMO, to where he wanted to go with "Eastside Story".

17. Jose Jones

IIRC, "Smokin' OPs" was also on Palladium and that got reissued 1o-15 yrs ago.

18. Jose Jones

How can a release that never existed previously boast 'new' artwork and liner notes?

19. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

20. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

How can it not?

sean4554 and psubliminal like this.
  21. Jose Jones

I hope the original mono single mix isn't lost. OTOH, I finally heard the mono version over the past year and was underwhelmed----the vocal and essential lead guitar riff are very low in volume (and frankly, sound weak) until the rest of the band kicks in. A poor mixing decision, IMO; you want your debut single for a major label to be catchy and forward immediately. And of course, the 'ping-pong' stereo mix is annoying at the end, although the first half of the song is great. What we need is someone to combine these mixes----first half stereo, second half mono for the best of both worlds.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i am glad this material is being released, and i agree about 'ballad of the yellow beret' which should be on this, there has to be room as this might not crack the 30 minute mark.

and if he can do this, he can do the first 3 on CD, come bob and punch, get a good remastering job ( i know a guy) and get them out on CD.

AlienRendel likes this.
  23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

To point out that Yellow Beret was never on Cameo and Bob is not listed on the label. And furthermore Florida Time may, or not be Bob at all. The song is credited to "Punch" and it may just be the Omens on that track.

24. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Commercial, no (and maybe that's why it's difficult to find) - however I much prefer the single to the album mix. Those same reasons that you point out as being draw me in. Different strokes, I guess.

25. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

True - Bob/Punch must have some sort of control. I seem to recall that specific CD reissue, however, had more to do with raising some for one of the band members, who was fighting a serious illness or injury at the time, than Bob wanting to unleash it on the public? (SB correct me if I'm wrong).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.