Bob Seger - Heavy Music: The Complete Cameo Recordings 1966-1967

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by smallworld, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I am certainly no expert as far as who owns the rights to Smokin OPs, but it has been reissued by Capitol at various times over the past 40+ years - orange label (mid-70s), green dome label (late 70s/early 80s?), and a couple of times on CD. Seven was as well. Why those were a part of his deal when he re-signed with Capitol, and Back In 72 wasn't, is beyond me.

2. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

I certainly don't disagree with you on that note, I'm just referring to the last CD issue (2000?).

3. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

Hell yes!! I've been wanting to own a physical copy of something that includes 'Heavy Music' and 'East Side Story'. I'm sick of telling people Bob Seger is awesome and they only know his late country-music like stuff. Talkin bout that heavy music!!

Edit: I think I have to preorder this. Hot damn!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Ernest T, Sean, Crimson Witch and 2 others like this.
  4. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

My thoughts exactly. I also suspected the master to "Very Few" was probably lost, as it's the only Cameo-era track that isn't on the Hideout Records compilation I have. (That couldn't have been Seger's call, as the album wasn't authorized in any way.) Perhaps that was only because it's stylistically very different from everything else of that era. "Vagrant Winter"/"Very Few" is also the only one of the early singles of which I've never seen a stock copy. I own a promo copy, but that's the only one I've ever seen anywhere.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I live in Detroit and I have seen maybe a half dozen. Honestly it was not a hit at all and his worst selling Cameo single.

AlienRendel and Crimson Witch like this.
  6. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

This is a monumental collection for Michigan rock from the era! It contains not only Seger's early hit singles, but the very great Motown punk tracks from the Rationals, MC5, Amboy Dukes, Underdogs, The Tidal Waves... many others. I like to sit down with this 2 LP set and add in this next one for a great afternoon of smoking D-town sides:
    [​IMG]

7. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I"ll second this. Pro tip: There are two versions of Michigan Rocks, the only difference being one has Heavy Music, the other is mispressed and has Ramblin' Gamblin' Man instead.

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

For some reason the change was made for Cassette and 8 Track. possibly the difference in time. I had it on tape first.

Crimson Witch and superstar19 like this.
  9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Interesting... Does RGM appear on any vinyl pressings or is it just on 8-Track/Cassette?

10. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Yes, it does. The label and sleeve say Heavy Music, but RGM is on the record. Not sure if there's any way of knowing other than playing it.

See also:
    MIchigan Rocks Compilation

Crimson Witch and kozy814 like this.
  11. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I have a mint copy of the lp that I bought in the 90's. I also have a sealed 8-Track. I'll have to compare the tracklisting.

superstar19 likes this.
  12. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure my copy has Heavy Music. I will confirm tonight.

13. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

It's a shame, because Vagrant Winter is one of his best titles from that era, and hardest rocking of the Cameo singles.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  14. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Wow, if that's the case, I will halt my search for a copy of the reissue. That is a major mess up.

15. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

I may be in the minority, but I like "Very Few!" It sounds like an homage to The Impressions to me, in a good way. Looking forward to having these tracks in decent quality.

JamieC and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  16. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I pre ordered and can't wait to get it. Bob's singing on these early tracks is so cool. Can't wait.

17. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

"Heavy Music" has a real Mitch Ryder feel to it.

18. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

So, I think I'm going to preorder tonight. What do you guys think the sound quality will be like regarding the vinyl version? I'm trying to debate on CD or vinyl. I just don't want to gamble on the LP in case it ends up being a somewhat low quality pressing. I know it's hard to tell, but if the pressing is nice...I'll shell out the extra bucks.

Any thoughts?

Crimson Witch and Benno123 like this.
  19. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I went ahead and got them both. I am hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. I actually expect needledrops instead of from the masters. I wonder if the masters even survive?

Crimson Witch and Travadinho like this.
  20. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I imagine it will be easy enough to get a copy after it's released and you've heard some comments on the sound. (I admit I'm planning to take the gamble and open one up right away.)

Travadinho likes this.
  21. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Question for the experts: isn't the early single of Heavy Music the same recording as included on Smokin' OP's? Was it remixed for the album?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  22. Stu66

Stu66 Forum Resident

It is the same recording. The version on my 2005 'Smokin' OP's' CD is in fake stereo. It sounds as if it may have been sourced from the single as there is some surface noise present as well.

Crimson Witch, JamieC and NaturalD like this.
  23. "Heavy Music" has sounded lousy on every album and CD pressing. I'm sure it was sourced from a 45 for it's original release.

Crimson Witch, Stu66 and Jose Jones like this.
  24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I just found Michigan Nuggets in a used CD bin a couple of week ago. It's an outstanding collection........(my 1st time having the MC5 single tracks on CD). Maybe this Seger collection is why people are unloading that.

Is Michigan Rocks on CD?

Looking forward to this collection. I don't love "Yellow Beret," so won't miss it on this CD.........(and it's on Michigan Nuggets).

Crimson Witch and Greenalishi like this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Smokin'OPs was a local indy release. Bob had left Capitol a while back and was without a label. Bob had been gigging around Michigan with David Teegarden and Skip Knape as STK. Thats who this album was. Bob and Punch stuck Heavy Music on OPs and waited to get sued. It didn't happen.
    At that time the only other way to get Heavy Music on LP was the first CKLW Solid Gold compilation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.