Bob Weir and Wolf Brothers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeyMan, Aug 9, 2018.

1. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly? Thread Starter

Anyone here ordering tickets? We're thinking about going to the Missoula, Albuquerque, Salt Lake, Reno and Denver shows... :yikes:

http://bobweir.net/tour/

2. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

I'll be trying for the Ryman here in Nashville if the ticket prices aren't too obscene.

Umbari and MonkeyMan like this.
  3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'm going to the 2nd night of Port Chester, and both Beacon Theater.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  4. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

"Don Was and Friends" are scheduled for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in S.F. today.

Weir will be there.

5. LandHorses

MonkeyMan likes this.
  6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Bob & company were pretty fantastic in Portland tonight. Not the mellow, wizened approach I was expecteding after seeing clips of last year's trio shows with Phil. Bob was full of energy and in full command of his powers. And he's going to places as a guitarist ~ a lead guitarist ~ with a confidence, and success, that I've only ever seen him flirt with in briefer moments before. He was the bona fide lead instrument - not tentative, but aggressive...even a guitar hero at times (musically, not in mannerism). Seriously, this was Bob the guitarist I've always wanted to see manifest.

Really enjoyed the set list. Eternity & Don't Let Go were both big surprises (I hadn't looked at previous setlists revealing the latter). And no shortage of sentimental favorites scattered throughout.

They're still honing their communication (and I'm sure Was is still feeling out the repertoire), but they jammed hard and filled all the space required, and then some. Looked like they were really enjoying themselves. The crowd certainly was, the minstrels stirred some high energy in that room.

As fine a form as I've ever seen Bob in, I think. Really a treat.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

And he really is a master at employing the whammy bar. Never a mere novelty in his hands.

8. MonkeyMan

It was a great show in Albuquerque last night! Now on to a day of relaxation, then up to the Denver show tomorrow.

9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Going to Boston

10. Daedalus

This is great news. Love to hear Bobby step out.

anth67 and MonkeyMan like this.
  11. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Just grabbed a great ticket (8 rows back/dead center) for the 2nd Chicago show. Looking forward to it.

12. MonkeyMan

We're getting "prepped" up in the balcony waiting for Bobby to show up...:yikes:

anth67 and footlooseman like this.
  13. Dr. Luther's Assistant

:bdance::pineapple::bdance:

(That's Bobby in the middle...)

anth67 and footlooseman like this.
  14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Formerly the “naked brothers band”?

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I saw them from someone doing a Periscope broadcast last night. Two excellent sets last night. Great music with a great groove.

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

What time did last nights show actually start?

17. LandHorses

No mention of the Spring Tour.

I'm in for both Red Bank, NJ shows :righton:

The MEZ and budwhite like this.
  18. Daedalus

I saw Bob and Wolf Bros in Boston last tour and it was pretty boring for the entire first set and gradually picked up during second set with a couple of pretty good song versions. I really wanted to like this but couldn’t get into Bob trying to play some type of lead-ish guitar which didn’t seem successful which was surprising given some of the great stuff he did with the Dead.

jeffsab likes this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

He didn't play much lead with the Dead though. Maybe China>Rider and Easy Wind

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

The syracuse show was easily the strongest weir outing I've seen in 20 years. Lively tempos and strong performance, the trio setting worked for him here, it was very entertaining

budwhite likes this.
  21. Daedalus

Bingo. But it was superb.

budwhite likes this.
  22. Daedalus

Good to hear-maybe my Boston show was an off night.

23. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

The show last night in Northampton was outstanding! Crystal clear sound and the band was dialed in, Bobby's voice sounded great. Few if any wasted notes, wish I was catching another show on this tour.

24. LandHorses

1st night of Red Bank was really good...........I enjoyed it more than the 3 shows I saw last November (2nd night Capitol Theater and both Beacon Theater). The band was tight the whole night.The 1st set was great.......nice non-Grateful Dead song beginning of "Only A River" and "The Winners" and a great closing "Shade Of Grey" and the full "Weather Report Suite." ("Shade Of Grey" was a big highlight of the night, but I'm the one Deadhead who always liked the song).

2nd set was better played than it looks on paper, but a really good "All Along The Watchtower" with a long reggae outro jam, and (surprise, surprise) a great jammed out "Easy Answers" that I enjoyed a lot more than any Grateful Dead version.

I like (from looking at some of the setlists) that he's added more of his solo stuff this time around from last year. It's good to see more Heaven Help The Fool and Bobby & The Midnites songs thrown it. (It was more refreshing hearing "The Winners" and "Shade Of Grey" an a lot of the Grateful Dead songs).

Hopefully night 2 is going to be fun as well.

3/13/19 - Bob Weir Setlist at Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank

25. Dr. Luther's Assistant

That's an excellent opener.
    I love that song.

LandHorses likes this.