Bob Weir - The Other one Documentary - Stream Netflix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zafu, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shmerls

Shmerls New Member

Hi All!
    Right after Bobby talks about playing in Egypt, from time code 46:56 to 47:45, does anyone know any info on the gorgeous solo acoustic guitar instrumental? Like song title, artist (Bob?), if it's from an album or only in The Other One documentary? What a sweet piece! I'd love to learn to play it! Thanks.

2. Growing up in San Francisco and seeing the Dead in GG Park and Winterland countless times , this was totally enjoyable viewing. Not a perfect in depth doc but totally watchable.

I was born in the Haight so it literally hit home

Stone Turntable and budwhite like this.
  3. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Very well done and very touching. I have newfound respect and admiration for Bobby, which was already at a high level. He's been living quite an incredible life to say the least.

4. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I watched it last night, very well done. I have a new found respect for Bob. I can definitely watch it again. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    It made me pull out my Dead records this morning.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  5. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Excellent. I've watched it twice in the last 2 days (and I never do that). Really well done, IMO. For those in the other thread considering whether Brent's death was the "end" of the GD, I think the answer is a resounding no. There was no mention at ALL of Brent, barely anything about Pigpen. This was all about Bob (and his relationship with Jerry and to a lesser extent the other surviving members).

Someone earlier in the thread thought that it didn't discuss the "dark side" of the GD experience - I don't think that's true at all. Lots of talk about the lifestyle back in the day, and Jerry's addiction in the latter days. What may have been lacking is any discussion of Bob's demons, but maybe he just wasn't comfortable talking about it.

I really enjoyed seeing Bob at home and with his family - it was cool of him to allow that. I really enjoyed the part about finding his biological parents too.

I have been on a little bit of a Dead hiatus lately (or listening less than usual, at least), but this inspired me to pull out the Fillmore box.

6. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Pretty good.

7. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

IIRC, that was the beginning (Prelude) of 'Weather Report Suite'. I think it was the studio version from 'Wake of the Flood'

O Don Piano and Olompali like this.
  8. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Brilliant doc really enjoyed I was totally into it the whole way through. Hope netflix can turn out more music docs this good.

9. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Watched it. Laughed, cried, celebrated. To do justice to the GD, I think you need a three-part miniseries.

M321115 and O Don Piano like this.
  10. jimdavies111

jimdavies111 Active Member

Netflix did not turn this out and had no part in the production.

Kermit27 likes this.
  11. I really enjoyed it.

I think it could've been better had it explored Bob's recent (alleged) difficulties, as it certainly didn't gloss over Jerry's, and given how lucid and clear-eyed Bob seemed, it's apparent that whatever difficulties he's had, he's come out the other end of them.

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Something interesting and special emerged from focussing on Weir's journey and letting Garcia and the Dead step into background for once. To their credit the filmmakers didn't stint on letting a powerful sense of loneliness and sadness show through as well. And it was great to learn about those renewed family connections carrying Bob forward into his current life and times.

Some wonderful and well-deserved comments on his musical prowess and utter uniqueness as a guitarist too.

The brief excerpt of a Weir studio version of "Days Between" near the end was fantastic. I'd love to hear the whole thing.

John Bonham likes this.
  13. No they just paid for an early exclusive showing. Which is a pretty large potential audience these days.

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This might tide you over.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

When did they shoot the interviews with Weir? Before or after his relapse last year?

16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The doc debuted at the Tribeca festival in April 2014 and took two years to make — the Fox Theater gig in Oakland featured in the film was 2012, I believe.

I don't know enough about Bob Weir gossip to say whether "relapse" is an accurate term for his health issues and gig cancellations. I don't remember any official word that substance abuse was a factor, just lots of dark Dead head speculation.

budwhite likes this.
  17. M321115

M321115 Forum Resident

I loved it. Really enjoyable and will be watching it again!

budwhite and Mazzy like this.
  18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Always a hoot

19. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I'm not a huge Dead fan but I watched it and enjoyed it. The guy has had some life, and looks like he has a great family. Found it a bit odd that his wife (who seems very nice and normal) was travelling around with the Grateful Dead at 15.

20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I know a lot of "very nice and normal" people who traveled around with the Grateful Dead.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  21. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

That may be true, but she indicated that she was staying with the band on the road at 15 and would watch the parade of girls and groupies go in and out of his room. Her parents must have been free spirits.

22. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

From what I have read, Bob had shoulder problems and maybe developed a painkiller habit. In the new Rolling Stone, it said he was teaching himself to play blindfolded so he wouldn't have to look at his fretting hand because of the shoulder.

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

No, its not dark speculation, he has copped to it. Alcohol and pills.

24. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

This was the most surprising thing to me. Bobby looked more "with it" than I've seen him in a long time. Bodes well for this summer's shows.

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Where? I've not seen that anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.