Bobbie Gentry! New 8CD boxset including lost albums!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raphph, Jul 27, 2018.

1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Have you ordered from Amazon UK before? I'm curious to know how well they pack.

2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Mine came in a perfectly fitted hard cardboard box.....it was actually too good for Amazon....not sure if the record company provided them or just sheer luck.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  3. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

Listening to disc 1 now. The sound is great. Absolutely no loudness wars whatsoever (I opened some of the tracks in an audio editor to check, and you could drive a bus through there!)
    The CD's come out of the cardboard case easily, unlike the last box set I bought that housed discs in cardboard sleeves (Lenny Bruce - Let The Buyer Beware where the discs fitted so tightly one of them was damaged putting it back in).
    The book is way bigger than I expected.
    Packaging was a cardboard box that it fit into so perfectly it could have been custom made. I'm in the UK though, I don't know if the packages sent overseas will have extra packaging.

4. Reader

Reader Senior Member

That sounds like factory packaging and that Amazon is not putting that into their own box. Hope that's not bad news. Can't wait to get my copy.

5. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

When I collected mine from HMV it was in sealed cardboard packaging with a white sticker that had the UMC details on it, so I would guess these are individually packed by the record co. I wouldn't like to trust just that for protection if being sent across the pond but the boxset is such a solid item they just might get away with it not being damaged in transit.

6. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I'm pretty sure I have ordered from Amazon UK in the past, or maybe Amazon Germany. I think I ordered the Neil Young live Blue Notes's vinyl box set from Amazon UK. It arrived fine.

When the Bobbie Gentry set was announced on this forum, then only place I could find to order was Amazon UK and I was so excited I had to order it immediately.

ssmith3046 and Wally Swift like this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Thank the Lord the set is now streaming on Apple Music, so I'll make it till October 12 somehow...

As far as all you dirty rats who already have the box go:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    AndyB, The Killer and Wally Swift like this.
  8. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

My box arrived today. It is absolutely great. It looks fantastic, and the sound is awesome.
    But I had major problems ripping the discs (all of them) (I only listen through my network player now and don't even have a stand alone CD Player any more).
    Has this set some kind of copy protection ?

siveld and Vandenville like this.
  9. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Yes, me too. Basically on every CD on the last 2-3 tracks EAC showed "timing problems". But my secret weapon (a pretty old portable "amazon basics" DVD drive :) ) could read them all.

10. kazzard

kazzard Forum Resident

My box arrived from Amazon this evening - quite funny, I almost cancelled my pre-order; there are just so many other box sets coming out that I also want. However, as soon as I put in disc 1 and Mississippi Delta started, I was so glad I didn't cancel.
    This is an excellent box set and the sound is great. Really enjoying the demos.

11. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

But the book... the book is beautiful!

AndyB and Stone Turntable like this.
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

No problems here.....
    Man, the demos on the The Delta Sweete disc are to die for.....:hide:....ooops, sorry I'm meant to be saying nothing...

AndyB and nikh33 like this.
  13. DollyFan1990

DollyFan1990 Forum Resident

I’ve been streaming a little today and I LOVE the added horns on the alternate take of Mississippi Delta!

Impatiently waiting on my order! Good news is my estimated delivery date was moved up to Monday the 24th! :goodie:

WeepingWall, AndyB and RSteven like this.
  14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I curse you.

:realmad:

nikh33 likes this.
  15. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Was it moved from 10/12 to 9/24????

16. DollyFan1990

Unfortunately not! I ordered from Amazon U.K. and selected Global Priority Shipping because I didn’t want to wait.

jpmosu likes this.
  17. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

The book is a really nice Ting.
    Trouble is Its full of young pictures.
    Bobby was well fit but so was I when I was young.
    Old age is a right git.:chill:

18. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Amazon Canada delivered my set and left it at my apartment door so I had to rush home to make sure nobody would steal it.

Can't wait to dive in!

Marble Index likes this.
  19. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

Phew! I thought my drive was malfunctioning. I only listen to cd's on my computer. Had to rip s few of the tracks again because they had glitches in the first time. Disc 2 made the most awful graunching noises while ripping the last 4 tracks, I hate those noises, I hope it hasn't damaged the drive. I updated my EAC and it still made the noises for the last 4 tracks but I think they've ripped ok. Those tracks play fine with windows media player so I know the drive and the disc aren't at fault. I've never had a disc behave like this before.

siveld likes this.
  20. DollyFan1990

My Amazon U.K. order has made it to the States! In Cincinnati now! :D

21. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Out for delivery one day after release. That’s alright with me.

22. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

I just gave this a listen on streaming services as I won't be getting my boxset until next weekend. It's utterly gorgeous.

AndyB, RSteven and nikh33 like this.
  23. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Wow, that sounds much worse than my discs. Like I said, I ripped it once with my standard blu-ray drive - weird noises and timing problems. I deleted these tracks and switched to the Amazon DVD drive. No weird noises, error-free rips on the first try.

I wouldn't say that anything is wrong with the CDs (they play totally fine in my Oppo player in the living room), but it was weird to have these problems when ripping on the PC.

24. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

I've had a good listen to the first four CDs now and a good random track selection from the others.
    Andy ,
    You are to be congratulated on doing a brilliant job on these recordings.:tiphat:
    The production and SQ is excellent right across the board.
    I wasn't expecting to much from the TV and Glen Campbell tracks but what I've heard is exceptional .
    So a big thanks to you and all involved.:edthumbs:
    I'm really very happy with my set and will be getting another for my father for Christmas.
    I bought him this LP [​IMG] in the early 70s he's 86 now and still plays it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    AndyB, RSteven, Steve Douglas and 2 others like this.
  25. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

As much as I love the set, the music and the sound quality I am sorry to have to say that in my opinion these sets are defective.
    Due to the fact that this set strangely has no autorip here in germany I am not able to hear parts of this set without crackle or skipping until I buy another dvd drive to check that out. And even then I have no guarantee that it will rip fine. And as I am not the only one having problems it's not only my box or my drive...

siveld likes this.