Bobbie Gentry! New 8CD boxset including lost albums!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raphph, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I'm in Australia and mine hasn't arrived yet.

2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Got my Amazon U.S. shipping notice today and it's arriving a day early, on Thursday...

:love::uhhuh::pleased:

AndyB and Mylene like this.
  3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Is it crazy that I only know "Ode to Billie Joe" and yet I'm seriously tempted by this? I should probably do a little more research before committing to a big set like this, but it looks very well put together and I've always meant to explore her work. In any case, it seems unavailable from Amazon yet again so I can put off my decision a little longer (based on Andy's comment, I assume this is a temporary situation).

4. I got mine from Amazon UK. It's still available there. With the exchange rate, you might save a few bucks as well.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Argh. I could kill my friend. I had one pre-ordered from Amazon UK. I then cancelled that order when my friend said he could sell me a copy for cheaper (he's a distributor). I asked "Are you sure?" He said "Yes" So what happens? They get one in for me and some doofus sells it while my friend is away on business. ffs. Still some deals around but I noticed Amazon Canada upped their price to $150. Some third party sellers are still in line with the UK price. Just waiting for him to make sure he can't get me another copy. But I don't want to wait too long.

6. Don't Wait. Buy it from Amazon UK. If you have two copies, I'm sure you can sell one here.

eddiel likes this.
  7. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

If you know and like Ode to Billie Joe, then it's honestly the most risk free music purchase you could make.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'll second the above post. I don't doubt you'll love it.

Tord, RSteven, DeeThomaz and 2 others like this.
  9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I changed my Amazon delivery speed [slowest/cheapest] after I got my other copy from moviemars. No shipping info for me yet.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

markp likes this.
  11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Dude, I had only heard a couple of songs before I bought this.....One was "Ode" and the other was Mornin' Glory......I pre-ordered in on a whim (incase it disappears at some point) and there is some really great music on this set that I would never have discovered had I not made the plunge. Sure, there is stuff I can live without (foreign language versions of Beatles songs!!) but on the whole the set is fantastic and worth every penny.

I would say as a newcomer 8 albums is overwhelming as they are jamb packed with material....I haven't even touched the BBC set yet, and currently between house, car and Ipod I have started on "Ode", Delta Sweetie, & Glen Campbell & Patchwork as my albums to focus on

I mentioned it earlier that this is one of the very rare occasions where you feel like your ripping the record company off for a change.

AlmanacZinger, Mylene, Mr. H and 5 others like this.
  12. Wally Swift

I would add that after I heard her 1st album 10 years ago I went on a treasure hunt for every album and non-LP track I could find in top condition, spent a bunch of money and I have never regretted it for one minute.

13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It really warms my heart that this thread is up to 34 pages! :)

14. DollyFan1990

DollyFan1990 Forum Resident

My Amazon US order shipped today! :wiggle:

15. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

I Think the reason I never listened to Bobbie before this set came out is that she’s generally labeled as country artist and I’m not a big country fan.
    But honestly I don’t hear much country in it at all! Blues, soul, rock’n’roll, some psychodelia and maybe a bit of country but to call her a country artist is just plain wrong and unjust.
    Actually i’m not sure how to label BG, do you guys? :)

Man at C&A, RSteven and AndyB like this.
  16. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I agree with you that it is almost impossible to label Bobbie in a single phrase or genre as a recording artist. I feel the same way about Charlie Rich, Ray Charles and Elvis Presley. She really mixed a hybrid sound of country, soul and folk. A truly one of a kind artist. I cannot wait for my box set to arrive on Friday!

17. Wally Swift

Listening to Patchwork now.

EDIT: 21. Joanne [previously unreleased]

Oh dear! :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's almost the same as what I did. A friend gave me the Ode to Billie Joe LP and then I started searching out the rest and recently bought the Apartment 21 single. I have had to settle for some VG condition records though, so this box is very welcome.

RSteven likes this.
  19. Wally Swift

Wow, just realizing I've never heard Girl From Cincinnati [or the flip] before. Such a great tune too! Damn!

RSteven and AndyB like this.
  20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Y’all got me even more excited for this set. I definitely had to fit this one into the budget this season.

21. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Those three are all great, but I would say BG is in another category: "Unclassifiable"? I would put her alongside artists like Kate Bush or Bjork, neither of whom I care for much myself, but she has that level of eccentricity or individualism. (I admit I'm fishing for words here.)

Stone Turntable and RSteven like this.
  22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Box just arrived — one of the most handsome, elegantly designed archival releases I've seen. Worthy of the style and integrity of its namesake.

This is going to be fun.

23. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner… Thread Starter

Have arrived home and the box is an utter joy! I'm delighted!!

I had a few mild problems ripping the last few tracks on each disc - some software handled them more than others - as others have said

siveld and RSteven like this.
  24. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I am still not able to listen two some of my LEGALLY BOUGHT tracks without crackle.

Thanks to all concerned.

siveld and smoke like this.
  25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I read an online article this morning in the LA times. Not much new info but it's great to see this well made set get recognition. There's a video of Bobbie on the Andy Williams show performing.

AndyB and RSteven like this.