Bobbie Gentry! New 8CD boxset including lost albums!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raphph, Jul 27, 2018.

1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh my goodness, I just received notice from AmazonUS that my Bobby Gentry overdue box set has been shipped and is scheduled to arrive by tomorrow. How on earth could it get here that fast, I will never know? Anyways, I am pumped to get this box set and get my first listen of its stellar contents! Will share my thoughts with the forum after I get a good listen.

AndyB and ssmith3046 like this.
  2. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

But this is the thing- compilations don't always do artists justice, and aren't always representative- and these budget compilations in particular aren't put together with care, knowledge and discernment; which is why they can sound all over the place. In the boxset I go into why she had to make the Campbell album. We are so used to artists having creative control that its hard to reflect back on a time when artists (especially women) generally didn't. Bobbie's recording career is in many ways a struggle for that autonomy and she was more successful than many in achieving a modicum of control over her career, but naturally she had to make compromises, and the Campbell album is one of them.
    Bobbie's songwriting will always be the cornerstone of her legacy, but she is really invested in some of the cover versions she recorded, and on the best of them, she makes them her own. Tobacco Road for example, has been covered multiple times, but Bobbie's stands apart as being utterly idiosyncratic and quite unlike anyone else's, and that holds true for tracks like Hushabye Mountain, Touch 'em With Love, Apartment 21, Rainmaker, Girl From Cincinnati etc, etc

3. AnalogueAndy

AnalogueAndy Forum Resident

I really . . REALLY need some fine art prints of the photos from pages 10 and 11 :love:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  4. Still, it never hurts to ask - I mean, if the likes of Jandek can be convinced to do an interview, anything’s possible.

Anyway: I can’t say my knowledge of Gentry extends beyond a couple of songs, but this is such a nicely-done set I’m kind of tempted.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's very interesting and exceptionally good work in finding that Sandy Denny programme. I'm fascinated by stuff like that!

I was also interested to read Bobbie's BBC show was broadcast in other countries. This suggests more copies were made. Is there a good chance more episodes could survive in foreign TV stations archives? A lot of other wiped by the BBC TV shows have been recovered this way.

RSteven likes this.
  6. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Amazon US is now up to $109.98.

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It was shown in Australia. It was on the abc early Saturday evening. I can close my eyes and still see the opening credits.

downer and Man at C&A like this.
  8. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I don't know why so many have problems with the Campell album... I actually enjoy listening to it....

Kiss73, RSteven and ssmith3046 like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think some enquiries should be made to the Australian station archives. There's a good chance they'll still have something the UK don't.

Mylene likes this.
  10. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

A reporter from the Washington Post tracked her down in Memphis two years ago and called her and was hung up on...so people are definitely trying. I kind of admire her resolve to stay retired.

Jarleboy, ssmith3046, RSteven and 4 others like this.
  11. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I hope she stays retired if that's what she wants. I also hope this release doesn't cause her to be hounded, even unintentionally, by anyone, press or otherwise.

I'm sure she hasn't lost her talent and maybe she does a little work not intended to be heard by the public. Who knows? I just hope she is happy and enjoys everyday. Bet this release makes her happy even if she has no comment. That's ok. She needs to be admired because she is special but she needs to be left alone. My opinion only.

Enjoy what she's already given us.

12. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Bobbie Gentry's an enigma, she's done well being reclusive so far, hope she keeps it up, it suits her!

RSteven and johnnyyen like this.
  13. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

While I don't expect Bobbie to release any new music, I do hope she might agree to talk to the press -- I'd love to really know her thoughts about the music she recorded.

It might be kind of like Betty Davis has given a few interviews lately after a resurgence of interest in her 70's albums and the recent pseudo-documentary.

14. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

But Jandek has also been doing shows since the early 2000s, so has been visible during the last decade. Bobbie Gentry, on the other hand, pretty much quit recording in the mid 70s, did some live shows in Vegas up to the early 80s, appeared at a couple of industry events afterwards, and promptly vanished from ‘85 onwards. If this box set doesn’t entice her back, then nothing will, and bear in mind she is 76. As for the set, I agree, it looks fantastic.

I actually admire the silence, particularly in this media saturated era. I agree an interview would be fascinating, but I also hope it doesn’t happen. A new documentary would be welcome though.

15. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

You beat me to it - Scott. Was just about to make the same comparison.

ad180 and johnnyyen like this.
  16. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

4 or 5 fine songs on there. The unadorned "Let It Be Me" is great. I even like a couple of the ordinary songs, for the blend of voices. Glen was a decent artist - had some good hits. Skilled guitar player too. It could have been a much worse choice of partner - think of late 60s MOR and take yor pick.

RSteven likes this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Dok and RSteven like this.
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Got mine from Amazon today. It arrived in a large padded envelope. There are three good-sized dings on the spine. :realmad:

20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I got mine today as well. Man, what a gorgeous box set package. I love the size and design of the whole set. It was a little bigger than I was expecting. I think this should be the model for all future box sets. I just started listening to some highlights very briefly today, but will dive into it more extensively tomorrow, if time permits. Wow, so far I very impressed with the sound. No loudness war here. Nice dynamics and and real warmth to my ears. I personally think that his box set is a steal for less than $100 dollars. I feel like I should buy a second copy for someone as a Christmas present, if I can figure out who has been good to Santa this year. @AndyB should be put in charge of a lot more box set compilations by the major labels. His essay is fantastic and he really covers some important ground and gives Bobbie the artistic respect that she so richly deserves. Some very beautiful pictures of Bobbie at the piano and while recording at the Capitol Records Tower are included in the glorious hardcover book. I could not be more pleased to say the least.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    DirkM, frightwigwam, AndyB and 7 others like this.
  21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's the same size as the Imagine box. No other box set in my collection matches the 25 x 25 cms.

AndyB, John Porcellino and RSteven like this.
  22. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Okay , not a serious issue ... "But I can't get back", on the Patchwork album - do I hear a bit of tape damage or something in the second verse? It skips a beat on the line "a long lonely time ago". Not there on the Raven cd, although I do hear something not quite right on the Raven also. Try tapping your foot to it - the beat gets thrown slightly.

I hasten to repeat this is not spoiling my enjoyment. Just an observation. And I might be wrong!

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Love that duet with Johnny Cash.

RSteven likes this.
  24. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I hope Amazon US gets this set back in stock soon! They seem to have underestimated the level of interest in Bobbie.

AndyB, jimbo3688 and RSteven like this.
  25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

With The Hollies

RSteven and Greenalishi like this.