Book recommendations containing reprints of comics?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by melstapler, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

Over the past few years, I've developed interest in books which contain full reprints of comics either spanning a particular period or with an emphasis on a specific theme or character. I'm open to any recommendations a fan of DC and Marvel (open to all others) and used to have a large collection of comics from the 60s, 70s and 80s, most of which were sold due to divorce.

One book I've been enjoying contains reprints of The Rocketeer. Dave Stevens was an incredible artist and although the Disney film lacked the grit and edge of the comics, I believe a film wouldn't have been possible if not for his creativity and artistic vision.
    [​IMG]

Vidiot, alexpop and captainsolo like this.
  2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

5. Daniel Plainview

6. Daniel Plainview

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've probably re-read these two more than any other stories in my collection.

melstapler, Culpa, mx20 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

[​IMG]

I love this book too. Miller was on such a roll back then. And paired with Sienkiewicz they produce a story that's absolutely bat**** crazy.

melstapler and Culpa like this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

I found this book very entertaining:

[​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

I only bought a couple of issues from Wolverine's solo series at the time when they were released in the very late 80's. I'm not sure why. Maybe there was just too much Wolverine stuff going on back then or something. But I rolled the dice on this collection which collects the first 16 issues of the series (and some side stories from Marvel Comics Presents) and boy and I glad I did. This was such an entertaining collection. I was really surprised by the quality. The world thinks Wolverine is dead so he's laying low in some trashy town and trying oh so hard not to use his claws and blow his cover (and for the most part he doesn't). I don't think he even suits up until the second to last issue. Claremont is clearly re-inspired by the fresh location. And then Peter David takes over for the last few issues and delivers a good Indiana Jones-style romp, filled with his trademark sense of humor. I wasn't expecting much from this collection but it turned out to be one of my favorites from the Epic Collection line thus far.

[​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  10. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

[​IMG]

These collections are in black and white and used to be rather common.
    If you ever run accross a set I would pick them up. All of the major EC titles were done in this manner.

Back in the 1970s my father gave me a single, full-color hardback editon of collected EC horror comic stories but I have never been able to locate it online anywhere and forgot the title. It was really great.

I have the Weird Fantasy collection.

11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I would highly suggest Kurt Busiek and Brent Anderson's Astro City via the trade paperback collections. Beautiful cover art by Alex Ross:
    • Astro City Volume 1: Life in the Big City (ISBN 1-56389-551-X, collects Astro City Vol. 1 #1–6)
    • Astro City Volume 2: Confession (ISBN 1-56389-550-1, collects Astro City Vol. 2 #1/2, 4–9)
    • Astro City Volume 3: Family Album (ISBN 1-56389-552-8, collects Astro City Vol. 2 #1–3, 10–13)
    • Astro City Volume 4: Tarnished Angel (ISBN 1-56389-663-X, collects Astro City Vol. 2 #14–20)
    • Astro City Volume 5: Local Heroes (ISBN 1401202845, collects Astro City Vol. 2 #21–22, Astro City: Local Heroes #1–5, Astro City Special: Supersonic, "Since the Fire")
    • Astro City Volume 6: The Dark Age Book One: Brothers and Other Strangers (ISBN 9781401220778, collects Astro City: The Dark Age Vol. 1 #1–4, Vol. 2 #1–4)
    • Astro City Volume 7: The Dark Age Book Two: Brothers in Arms (ISBN 1401228437, collects Astro City: The Dark Age Vol. 3 #1–4, Vol. 4 #1–4)
    • Astro City Volume 8: Shining Stars (ISBN 978-1401229849, collects Astro City: Samaritan Special, Astro City: Astra #1–2, Astro City: Silver Agent #1–2 and Astro City: Beautie #1)
    • Astro City Volume 9: Through Open Doors (ISBN 978-1401247522, collects Astro City Vol. 3 #1–6)
    • Astro City Volume 10: Victory (ISBN 978-1401250577, collects Astro City Vol. 3 #7–10 and Astro City Visitor's Guide #1)
    • Astro City Volume 11: Private Lives (ISBN 978-1401254599, collects Astro City Vol. 3 #11–16)
    • Astro City Volume 12: Lovers Quarrel (ISBN 978-1401258252, collects Astro City Vol. 3 #18–21 and 23–24)
    • Astro City Volume 13: Honor Guard (ISBN 978-1401263874, collects Astro City Vol. 3 #17, 22, 25, 27–28 and 31)
    • Astro City Volume 14: Reflections (ISBN 978-1401268299, collects Astro City Vol. 3 #26, 29-30 and 32-34)
    • Astro City Volume 15: Ordinary Heroes (ISBN 978-1401274931, collects Astro City Vol. 3 #35-36, 39-40, 42 and 44)
    • Astro City Volume 16: Broken Century (ISBN 978-1401281496, coming August 21, 2018 - collects Astro City Vol. 3 #37, 38, 41, 43, 45 and 46)
    [​IMG]

Morpheus and melstapler like this.
  12. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

[​IMG]

jerol

melstapler and Scope J like this.
  13. Trace

Trace Senior Member

14. Daniel Plainview

15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

We've got a bunch of these sets, and have always been pleased with them. I think the only expensive box is the Mad set (full color if I remember right). Russ Cochran was the publisher.

fmfxray373 likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sadly, the Moebius collection from Epic and his Blueberry from Dark Horse (apparently too-aggressively colored for some) are way out of print.
    But look for the Graphitti Designs Blueberry hardcovers, you will find them more than satisfying.

IMHO, the only reason a reasonable comics fan, from 'boomer to X-Gen, would not have some Giraud on their shelves would be...
    ...if you came home one rainy night to find the sump pump not working :cussing:
    ...and your graphic novel collection at the bottom of your comic collection "island" in the basement :yikes:
    ...and those pallettes you intended to put down in the basement underneath any boxes that might be down there...:mudscrying:

Morpheus likes this.
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

[​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  20. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I'd recommend search for graphic novels at your public library. Most mid-sized cities now carry graphic novels. I live in a town around 94,000 and they have: Saga, Loche & Key, Maus, Sandman, Superman & Batman of many titles, The Walking Dead, and many others.

melstapler likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Love the Bros!

here's the motherload!

[​IMG]

22. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

'The Great Comic Book Heroes' hardcover book by Jules Feiffer is one of my very favorites! Lots of complete-issue Golden Age reprints contained therein.

And 'Wrath Of The Spectre' is a great collection of the spooky Fleisher/Aparo years. Great set!

And, of course, The Watchmen. Still my favorite.

And another vote for Miracle Man.

23. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Eddie Campbell's Bacchus has been reprinted a couple times, I think this is the latest:

[​IMG]

melstapler and Dave Garrett like this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'm sure this was the title that kick started comics in the eighties.that or dark knight

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    melstapler likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That this book even exists is a tribute to our race as mortals. The cartooning is quite mature, and the writing is always tremendous. You don't realise just how deep this stuff is, when you read it sober.

Culpa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.