"Bookending" Closing Songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benjamin Edge, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactus

Galactus Forum Resident

Free - Tons of Sobs. The track 'Over The Green Hills' starts and closes the album.

2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)

sleepjar likes this.
  3. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Maybe not quite what the OP is asking, but worth mentioning: albums that have EXACT the same song at the beginning AND the end. I can think of two:
    -The Sallyangie (Mike & Sally Oldfield) - 'Children of the Sun' (track: ' Strangers');
    -the 'Grease' soundtrack (title track by Frankie Valli).

4. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

And also Tonight’s the Night and Freedom (Rockin’ in the Free World).

Fullbug and Stone Turntable like this.
  5. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

Arcade Fire's Everything Now fades in on the title track and out on the reprise... it actually loops on the CD on repeat.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Savoy Brown:

Gypsy
    Romanoff

Both tracks from their Looking In album

7. pool_of_tears

And, Behind The Lines and the melody from Turn It On Again are incorporated into Duke’s End.

sleepjar likes this.
  8. pool_of_tears

Yes, themes from Dance On A Volcano and Squonk are incorporated.

On ...In That Quiet Earth from Wind and Wuthering, the opening melody from Eleventh Earl Of Mar is included.

9. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Sgt, Pepper — in the sense that the opening title track and the penultimate title track reprise have the effect of pushing the closing "A Day in the Life" off the edge of the album and out into the unearthly cosmic coda space it occupies, psychedelically speaking.

Mickey2 likes this.
  10. pool_of_tears

And let’s not forget after the end of Everybody Has A Dream, from Billy’s Joel’s The Stranger album, there’s a reprise of the opening to the album’s title track.

11. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

Mansun's Attack of the Grey Lantern, Dark Mavis closes with the opening of the first track The Chad Who Loved Me.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It also contains an instrumental interlude somewhere in the middle. Love this album!

13. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

And also It’s Yourself on Los Endos.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Pink Floyd's The Endless River. There's some keyboard motif that opens the album in 'Things Left Unsaid' and closes it in 'Louder Than Words'.

15. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

Another great example comes from Laura Marling's album Once I Was An Eagle. The first five songs (a suite played live in the studio) are linked by a common motif, a simple ascending scale played on the guitar. The final track Saved These Words begins with a descending minor chord pattern, then, after an instrumental break, reintroduces the ascending scale in a major key. Very effective.

16. pool_of_tears

Good point...I forgot about that one.

sleepjar likes this.
  17. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Mikal cronin’s first album ends in a discordant cacophony but transitions into the first song on the album by way of some beach boyesque harmonies. Really caught me by surprise the first time.

18. Ian Hunter's "All Of The Good Ones Are Taken" is bookended by two different versions of the title track.

The weird spoken intro/outro parts that bookend The Tubes debut record.

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Coldplay's Ghost Stories. Bookending a choir-like sampling.

20. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Todd Rundgren, Initiation. Side one opens with Real Man and the same side closes with a reprise of the chorus. Since side one is 30 minutes long, and side 2 is all instrumental freak out, I consider side 2 to be a different project all together.

McCartney brings back themes on Pioes of Peace on side 2

This is one of my favorite techniques and characteristic of great albums. If I made albums, I would always do this kind of thing.

utopiarun likes this.
  21. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Along the same vein, Elton John's Empty Sky album closes with Gulliver/Hay Chewed which has a medley of the songs that were on the album.

music4life, tspit74 and CBS 65780 like this.
  22. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

And Selling England By The Pound closes with Aisle of Plenty, using the same melody and guitar part as Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, albeit with a melancholy "tint"

sleepjar likes this.
  23. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

and Queen's Made in Heaven, which starts with a little piece from the hidden ambient track that closes it.

starduster likes this.
  24. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Duke album also had an intended suite known as "Duke Suite." It started with the first three songs on side 1 ("Behind the Lines," "Duchess" and "Guide Vocal"), and then side 2 opens with "Turn It On Again" and concludes with "Duke's Travels" and "Duke's End," so not only did the entire album have all the related parts of the planned suite bookend the album as a whole, side 2 is by itself also bookended.

~Ben

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.